AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Thread: American Idol to marry older man

Starrypup Guest

American Idol to marry older man

Thought some of you might appreciate this link.

http://omg.yahoo.com/is-katharine-mc...ried/news/4080

goodchild Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoliepup View Post
    Thought some of you might appreciate this link.

http://omg.yahoo.com/is-katharine-mc...ried/news/4080
    You know what? It doesn't matter to me if another person is marrying an older man or not! It doesn't matter to me at all, but when I read some of the comments on that article I was somewhat bummed by some of the responses, as it highlights some of the things people say about my relationship when I'm not around, but whatever!

Bob's babydoll is offline Love is patient...
    Quote Originally Posted by goodchild View Post
    You know what? It doesn't matter to me if another person is marrying an older man or not! It doesn't matter to me at all, but when I read some of the comments on that article I was somewhat bummed by some of the responses, as it highlights some of the things people say about my relationship when I'm not around, but whatever!
    whatever is right.

People who frown upon AGRs are just jealous, IMO.

Starrypup Guest
    Sorry, there weren't comments on it yet when I posted (or if there were, I didn't see them )
    Anyway, I thought it was a nice celebrity long term relationship, so it made me happy.

grumpysgirl Guest
    its those that are close minded who see that...who cares what they think if your happy more power to you! Its not their life its YOURS and your S/Os hehe

WAY TO GO on the article..love that kinda of news...she looks so happy!

goodchild Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoliepup View Post
    Sorry, there weren't comments on it yet when I posted (or if there were, I didn't see them )
    Anyway, I thought it was a nice celebrity long term relationship, so it made me happy.
    Don't feel bad Zolie! We know you had good intentions when you posted the article and the article itself is fine. It's (me), little miss curious who decided to read what other people thought about the news and was bummed, as I thought yw/om relationships were generally accepted; at least that's what most people here thinks. This is why the comments such as "If it were yw/om relationship nobody would say" ... and "Unlike yw/om relationships..." made here, irritates me as well! The age gap is only 19 yrs, so you would have thought more people would have had a positive attitude to it.

marcy Guest
    I think in terms of this community... 19 years is a so what... but out there in the big world? 19 years is a big deal no matter whether it is ow/ym or om/yw. Out in the big world... I think an age gap of 10 years or less is no big deal, but get higher than that... and folks are uncommmmmmfy.

PinkPanther_04 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by goodchild View Post
    I thought yw/om relationships were generally accepted; at least that's what most people here thinks. This is why the comments such as "If it were yw/om relationship nobody would say" ... and "Unlike yw/om relationships..." made here, irritates me as well! The age gap is only 19 yrs, so you would have thought more people would have had a positive attitude to it.
    I've always thought that the real difference in public perception between OW/YM and OM/YW is the novelty factor involved with OW/YM. People are still surprised by that so there might be more funny looks and comments (though there are several people on the other side who say they've never gotten anything like that). With OM/YW there might be less of that because people just take it for granted that they know what's going on there. The stereotypes are well-developed so people are more comfortable because they can put us in a neat little box. That doesn't mean they accept it.

Of course, this is really for gaps of over about 10 years (depending on the ages involved, as well). Less than that and OM/YW relationships really are accepted much more readily than OW/YM. It's seen as perfectly natural that men will be a few years older than women, and up to about 10 years is usually considered normal. But even a few years difference (especially at younger ages) is seen as abnormal if the woman is older. Strange stuff indeed. It's probably just a holdover from when women weren't financially independent and men had to be somewhat established in their careers before they could get married. So that will change of course, and people will get used to it.