AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: wtf is up w/the "Big TV" thing???

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member

Question wtf is up w/the "Big TV" thing???

I need a guy--a person who has an actual penis--to explain the big TV thing to me. I don't flat-out don't get it, never have, and probably never will. Please be aware in advance that I am merely attempting to understand--and have no desire to embrace--the Big TV Perspective.

Bigger *isn't* better--30" (75 cm, diagonal measurement) is as large a TV as I want or need. As items of furniture go, TVs and electronics are not particularly attractive. Even a small TV has the capacity to become the room's focal point. As soon as the thing is switched on, the room's occupants and decor take a backseat to the "boob tube." With all its accouterments--entertainment center/cabinet and storage for gaming consoles, games, DVDs, etc., it dominates/overwhelms the room even when the power is off. Accommodating the TV and all the crap that goes with it restricts the room's functionality and design options. The larger the damned thing gets, the more true these things become.

Furthermore, who *needs* the screen to be so large that the actors, athletes, etc. are life sized?

MM
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

Azureth is offline Banned
    It depends, there can be lots of reasons.

Before I get into them though a "big" TV can seem much smaller depending on where you set it. I have a 42' that is on a stand where all my systems are hooked up and it doesn't take much space at all. You could also mount it to the wall.

Big TVs are nice to have because they immerse you in whatever you're watching; especially in HD. Add in a 5 or 7.1 surround sound system and it's like you're in a theater!

Also many people, like my friend hook their PC and/or game systems up to it and it looks NICE!

You could say the same for monitors "why does someone need a huge monitor?" for some it's work-related and many have multiple monitors that they use. If I had the money I'd get 3 30' monitors so I could play my games in eyefinity where it makes the picture fill all screens and the point is you use the middle monitor to see in front of you and the others as peripheral vision.

But this is what I'd REALLY like to have, check this out:

I'm one of the dorks who has multiple monitors at work. I don't use them in the same way Fiscal does (I hope I NEVER have to deal with an Excel spreadsheet with that many columns), but I use them and it's damned handy.

They're both 18" or 19" because that's the standard size at work. When we downsized after ARRA, we had a lot of surplus electronics and they were all going straight to a program that provides computers to under-resourced students (K-college) at minimal cost so they can do their homework. I mentioned to our executive director's administrative assistant, "We need to look at that stuff before it goes; anything back there that is better than what's on someone's desk needs to be used to upgrade our workstations before we send it off." She made it happen.

When I was calling dibs on the surplus in the warehouse, I was lucky enough to find a monitor that was a mate to the one I already had. If that hadn't been the case, I wouldn't have dual monitors. I couldn't handle it if they were different sizes or the colors didn't match (some are black, some are grey, the buttons are in different places so the visual "footprint" is different, etc.). I know, I'm weird...and I'd notice the difference, and it would distract me or be a constant source of irritation. I also can't handle having my ball point pens mixed in the same desktop container with my pencils, or two different colored pushpins in the same piece of paper on my cork board. All my certificates are intentionally in the same color and style of dollar-store document frame. While I strongly prefer to keep my permanent markers separate from my highlighters, I tell myself it's okay to have them in the same cup because they're both Sharpies and there's no way I can confuse either of them for dry-erase markers.

Back to monitors: as long as the aspect ratio is correct (some of the older monitors have what is now a funky, weird aspect ratio) I don't care if it's a "small" monitor.

But that still doesn't answer my big tv question. I don't think it looks cool. We're not talking about having a theater room in a 2000+ sq ft split level; we're talking the living room in a refurbished early 1970's model single-wide trailer. In this setting, the TV should be a secondary consideration to fostering companionship with family, friends and guests. A hulking big TV detracts from the sense of refuge/respite/renewal that I want my home to provide. I think The Behemoth looks just about as out of place in my living room as a live goat would. It's just about as welcome, too.

MM
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

VenusDarkStarLA is offline Senior Member
    Sorry MM...I don't have a penis, but I'm a fan of film...so to me, there is nothing like seeing it on the big screen, because that's what it was made for. Some movies will never be the same on a 30" TV. I remember seeing "The Fugitive" in the theater and it was awesome. Fast forward to when it was available on cable or DVD...just not the same unless you had a huge screen.

Same with "Lord of the Rings" trilogy...once you saw them in their huge silver screen splendor, it's just not the same on TV. And don't get me started with "2001 Space Odyssey". The list goes on!

On the other hand....I do not watch the news on TV, so I would hate it even more if I had to watch it in exaggerated form. I almost equally dislike the current choices in TV programming, so why would I want it blasted in my face via a 70"+ monitor?

Again...sorry I lack the genitalia, but I do feel your angst.
    Azureth likes this.

Well, of course in such small space it is very ridiculous to have such a big TV. But I thought you were just talking in general like a "why do men need their toys" kinda thing.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusDarkStarLA View Post
    Sorry MM...I don't have a penis, but I'm a fan of film...so to me, there is nothing like seeing it on the big screen, because that's what it was made for. Some movies will never be the same on a 30" TV. I remember seeing "The Fugitive" in the theater and it was awesome. Fast forward to when it was available on cable or DVD...just not the same unless you had a huge screen.

Same with "Lord of the Rings" trilogy...once you saw them in their huge silver screen splendor, it's just not the same on TV. And don't get me started with "2001 Space Odyssey". The list goes on!

On the other hand....I do not watch the news on TV, so I would hate it even more if I had to watch it in exaggerated form. I almost equally dislike the current choices in TV programming, so why would I want it blasted in my face via a 70"+ monitor?

Yep, it's so awesome seeing movies in a big HD television, preferably with a surround sound system.

Not knocking you, but I'd bet $10, you're one of those "I buy movies in fullscreen because I don't like the black bars on the top and bottom and don't see how widescreen makes it look better" people

truckman Guest
    Aside from reasons of ego (my TV is bigger than your TV type stuff), it's about simulating the ambiance of theater - movies and life performances. I think you'd agree that any movie genre looks and sounds better in the theater as compared to at home on a 25-30 inch TV with a single speaker. The movie's the same but the ambiance is different.

I do agree with you about big electronics being ugly in a room, and there are solutions to that. My 50" widescreen is mounted above the fireplace mantle so it's not on a stand taking up valuable floorspace, but I mounted on the face of the TV a dielectric mirror with a solid oak frame. When the TV off, you'd see a rectangular mirror with an oak frame. With the lights down and the TV on, you don't see reflections in the mirror any longer - you see the TV right through the glass.

There are also custom cabinets where the thinner TV's of today can be hidden inside and pop up or pop out so when not in use you have a nice looking piece of furniture. With a little clever mounting, you can mount them in a wall so they're flush with the wall surface. Put a nice table under it and put the surround sound and cable box under that.
    MissMuffins likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusDarkStarLA View Post

LOL

When the discussion includes watching film in theater versus on television, it's very similar to comparing a novel or play to the "adapted for film" version. Or a black and white film to a colorized film, or a film shot in color...

MM

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    I agree that a 30 inch TV (wihtout surround) is enough for a normal size livingroom. But for most people (both men and women) enough is not enough. You have to make a statement with the gadgets. I believe that the human brain has the capacity to follow to full satisfaction the plot of an action movie, without having to be able to see the hairs in the nose of a horse and rider, and hearing it clopity clop from the right speakers until it goes into the sunset clopity clopping on the left speakers. But tell that to a Big-TV fan!

I am fortunate enough that I was able to devote one bedroom of our apartment to the TV room... or "Game Room" as Nick calls it. That way when we have a party the darned thing is NOT the focal point of the party and people can actually TALK and enjoy each other.
    MissMuffins likes this.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

Quote Originally Posted by SheLikesKitties View Post
    I agree that a 30 inch TV (wihtout surround) is enough for a normal size livingroom. But for most people (both men and women) enough is not enough. You have to make a statement with the gadgets. I believe that the human brain has the capacity to follow to full satisfaction the plot of an action movie, without having to be able to see the hairs in the nose of a horse and rider, and hearing it clopity clop from the right speakers until it goes into the sunset clopity clopping on the left speakers. But tell that to a Big-TV fan!

I am fortunate enough that I was able to devote one bedroom of our apartment to the TV room... or "Game Room" as Nick calls it. That way when we have a party the darned thing is NOT the focal point of the party and people can actually TALK and enjoy each other.
    Maybe it's just generational differences but whenever I've ever had lots of people over my big TV has never been the focal point of a party or anything. Sometimes someone may ask to put something on as background noise or music but that's it.

gorillagirl Guest
    I never watch t.v.- I have not had t.v. in my house for more than 20 years. No antennae, no cable, nothing. I'm TV-free. That said, I have a 50" television in the house for DVDs only with a home theater sound surround system and reclining chairs for movies only. The room is uncluttered and zen-like.

Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    I never watch t.v.- I have not had t.v. in my house for more than 20 years. No antennae, no cable, nothing. I'm TV-free. That said, I have a 50" television in the house for DVDs only with a home theater sound surround system and reclining chairs for movies only. The room is uncluttered and zen-like.
    I don't watch TV either. I just use it for my games/netflix/movies. Paying for cable/satellite is such a waste, you get like 10-15 good channels and the rest are garbage.
    SheLikesKitties likes this.

gorillagirl Guest
    I know I'm missing some good shows on Cable (eg: Breaking Bad, Weeds, etc) but I'll just get it down the line on Netflix later or ...not. For the amount of $ people spend on cable TV per year, they could have a two week vacation somewhere nice! When I've watched series like "Breaking Bad," I spent a whole dang week watching the whole series back to back. I get addicted. I just don't want to spend my life energy caring about fictional characters. I have friends who actually discuss sitcoms and reality tv. It boggles my mind. One friend's mom stresses out about what characters do as if they are her actual family members. Who some random character marries or divorces on TV show should NOT be anything to stress over. I get all my news online. For me, folks who go home from work and watch TV until bedtime are just wasting their lives. It's just an escape from reality. We all need that from time to time but most folks spend more time watching TV than any other hobby. Read a (non fiction) book!
    Last edited by gorillagirl; 04-28-2013 at 02:05 PM.

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Quote Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
    Maybe it's just generational differences but whenever I've ever had lots of people over my big TV has never been the focal point of a party or anything. Sometimes someone may ask to put something on as background noise or music but that's it.
    No, it's not generational differences. If the TV is on, my husband will be paying attention to the TV and not the guests. Probably my son will join him, then other men next, and there goes the party, with half the people (mostly men) watching TV and the other half (mostly female) trying to have a conversation.

At least now that the TV has it's own room, the men can go to their cave and us women can have the rest of the house.
    gorillagirl likes this.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

It looks like the big TV thing centers on whether one sees the "living room" as a home theater versus a conversation space, or if the room has to do dual duty. My view is more "conversation space." I didn't watch satellite TV until the grumpy guy moved in--that's his thing. I watched PBS or DVDs. The news I get, I get online. I don't see TV as a social activity, unless we're gathering as a group to watching a movie or sporting event. When people are over, the TV is off. I'd rather spend time with real people, pursuing a real interest, or reading a real book than vegging out in front of the TV.

When the house is arranged according to my preference, the TV is not visible from the dining room table if possible and the dining room table does not house a PC. Those were temporary concessions with the grumpy guy moved in, which have "somehow"--as temporary concessions generally do--become permanent. Both are really messing with my spiritual energy.

The grumpy guy is gone for the weekend, next weekend. He doesn't know it, but what's going to happen while he's gone is: the living room is going to be re-arranged and, hopefully, the storage room/office, too.

I realize that I need to be more present in the moment, and I realize that two things have happened: 1) there's been so much transition in my life that no matter where I've lived, I haven't really unpacked for something like 6 years, and 2) I've kissed my own butt with regard to making this "our" place instead of "my" place to such a degree that I feel like he's taken over. Even though I want to buy a home, *this* is where I live now. I need to have the space I occupy now be something that I enjoy, instead of something I want to avoid.

MM
    gorillagirl likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast