AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking?

NY10 is offline Senior Member

Quitting Smoking?

I have been a smoker on and off since I was 14. I have quit in the past for a long time but picked it back up again. For the last year I have been a more heavy smoker. I want to quit so bad. A pack varies with me, one pack can last a day, sometimes it can last 2 or 3 days. I don't consider myself a heavy smoker but I am a smoker and I do get cranky and impatient if I can't have a cigarette for whatever reason.

I hate it. The smell, the fact that I know it will end up killing me, the cost. There is 100% not 1 reason why it's good for someone but I DO enjoy it. I never smoke in the house and I have stopped smoking in my car. I go outside alone and I feel it's my alone time. I feel that it gives me 10 minutes at least to myself to think and relax and kick back. Even though I hate the way my clothes and hair and breathe smell after I do enjoy smoking and relaxing. My best friend smokes too and we often go out together and have a smoke and talk.

I have kept it a major secret from friends and family all my life. I sneak around and lie.

I know that cold turkey is the best way to quit and every time I buy a pack I swear this is the last one. When I am on vacations I manage to go smoke free, maybe it's because I'm busy and out doing things and around people. Sometimes I don't even feel the urge. That's how I know I'm not a heavy constant smoker but as soon as I get home the first thing I do is buy a pack and start up again, when I am sick I can go days without one. As soon as I start feeling better, boom.

I think a big part of it now is the depression and boredom. I think being alone for most of the day and not having much to do adds to me smoking more.

I was just wondering how you managed to quit and how hard it was. What was the finally straw that made you want to quit. Smokers are in my family, my dad is a heavy heavy smoker (2-3 packs a day) my aunt, my grandparents.

marklogan51 is offline Member

Let me throw a rock through the window

In my past I use to teach quit smoking classes. The best method is to go cold turkey. The best methods to avoid thinking about smoking is to get your mind occupied. Go walk, play a video game. etc. Keep your mind busy. Self discipline

Mark
    mskitty and Mebel like this.

fiorinda Guest
    I smoked from the age of 13 to 39. I gave up when my first child was born (I was 21 then) for a whole 18 months then started again. One day 9 years ago I suddenly realised how POINTLESS smoking is. Smoking a cigarette doesn't make you feel good the way having alcohol or drugs do. You feel crappy because you haven't had a cigarette, and having one then makes you feel neutral again. WTF?! I was paying out so much money every week just to neutralise the effects of NOT smoking!? Pathetic!!

So I went to my doctor and got a prescription for nicotine patches. The prescription covered me for a whole course. And it was honestly the best thing I ever did for my health. And it was SO easy!! Because with patches you tackle the habits first - what to do with your hands, how to get that 'me time' in other ways, how to tell your head and body that dinner is over, that kind of thing. Once you've broken those habits you deal with reducing the nicotine dose, until you just don't need it any more. After not smoking for several months I went out for a drink with a friend (I avoided pubs and bars when I was quitting - not an issue now as they're all no-smoking here in the UK) who had been smoking, and I really, really wanted a cig. So I broke some tabs from my husband's ashtray (we had both always smoked rollups) and made one. I lit it, and inhaled, and it was agony! Felt like my lungs had holes in!! That was the last time I ever tried to smoke and possibly the last time I even wanted to.

You have to be in the frame of mind where you really WANT to stop smoking, otherwise you probably won't succeed. You have to avoid the places, and the people, that you know will make you want to smoke. You WILL gain weight, even if you don't eat more (a smoking cessation counsellor told me to expect that, and she was right, I gained 8lbs, but it was so worth it!). I took up drinking coffee instead, and now drink quite a lot of black coffee (fresh, not instant!) but it doesn't seem to adversely affect me.

If you know you want to give up, NY10, do it. But get the patches. Get any and all support you can find. Avoid the people you know won't help you in this, just until you've nailed it. Good luck! It's really worth it!

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    NY10, I'm so glad to hear that you've decided to quit. Death by lung cancer is slow and excruciating. Nobody should choose to go that way.

Although these 10 tips were originally written in 2007, he is still completely smoke-free today, 6 more years later. You can do it, too!

10 Tips for Quitting Smoking : zenhabits
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

It is now a little after 10PM here in NY and I haven't had a smoke since 5:30PM tonight. Of course I was out to dinner and kept busy, it's amazing that I don't crave it when I am busy. It's more of a being bored having nothing to do type of thing, or when I'm upset or anxious. If people are around or I'm busy I don't feel the NEED to have one but I think it's always there.

I know there is no benefit to smoking, smoking is probably one of the worst things a person can do and no you get no high or thrill from it. I am nervous about the weight gain (I know it's part of it) I do go to the gym a few times a week and am very active so I think that will help, at this point I drink enough coffee I don't think drinking more will help. I go out maybe a few times a month with the girls and grab a drink. That will be the true test, not smoking when drinking and being out. The good thing is it is pretty much illegal now to smoke anywhere in NY especially public places but we can always step outside or at outside bars we just step to the parking lots. I think that will be the true test.

I got my pack today and so far smoked 3 cigarettes out of it. I want to really see how long this pack can last me. Last summer I went a week straight with 2 a day maybe 3, then my a very good friend of mine died out of no where and my world got torn upside down, that caused the smoking to increase.

I know cold turkey is the way to go but I am going to look into the patches.

chi77 Guest
    http:// http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easyway-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375937433&sr=1-1&keywords=allan+carr+quit+smoking

A friend told me just last night that he knows several people who have quit using this book. I have another couple friends using e-cigarettes.
    Last edited by chi77; 08-08-2013 at 01:26 AM.

gorillagirl Guest
    Add up the monetary cost of cigs over 30 years. That should be good incentive.
    $6.00 per day x 30 days=$180 per month x 12 months = $2160/year x 10 years= 21,600.00 x 30 years=$64,800
    mskitty and ukfireball like this.

mskitty Guest

eeek cold turkey

I quit cold turkey ..and I am not sure I could ever do that again. although I believe that is what has kept me from starting back up. It was a horrible experience and I even had a panic attack and went to the hospital...after all the fuss there I returned home and continue my symptoms...I laid in bed doing the worm for about 3 days.. My bf did the gum and actually had NO withdrawals but after she was on that for years she decided to quit the gum and is having horrible withdrawals from the gum I guess what I am thinking is ...yes I would try the patch and gradually ween yourself so it isn't such a shock to the system... but I would definitely quit cause the risks of smoking are huge.

and I want to add...good luck .. I quit over 18yrs ago and am so pleased that I did..

marklogan51 is offline Member

Reminder

Think in little steps. Change your routines. You will a lot better about yourself when you quick

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    Add up the monetary cost of cigs over 30 years. That should be good incentive.
    $6.00 per day x 30 days=$180 per month x 12 months = $2160/year x 10 years= 21,600.00 x 30 years=$64,800
    That is amazing incentive, in NY the cost is $10 a pack (depending on which brand) no brand is less than $9.04 with major major tax so add that up and its even more $.

The biggest incentive for me though is my health. I am still young enough (26) to live a very long healthy life. What ever damage I have done can still be fixed and not get bad. I hate when I am at the gym and find myself out of breath after only a half hour of running when I was at one time (not smoking) able to run for an hour straight and still be able to do more. It doesn't prevent me from hiking and doing outdoor adventures but I know if I continue on this road it will only get worse and besides for the money, which is a lot and can be put towards much better things, I want to live past 50 and still be able to do what I am doing today.
    fiorinda likes this.

Progress Report

Today I only smoked 4 cigarettes. Today was a cloudy horrible day in NY and there was nothing to do. Spent the day inside, watched TV and hung out all alone and only smoked 4 cigarettes. I know it's not exactly amazing but for the smokers and used to be smokers they will know that is a big step. On top of that I have in the middle of my period and having the lonely depressing feelings so if I was able to stay strong and not have a mini melt down and not run to smoking I think I'll have the strength on my even better days to continue on the right track.

I am hoping this pack lasts all next week or at least a good part of it. I am planning on just doing it cold turkey but want to see if tomorrow I can maybe smoke even less.

theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    My father died of lung cancer in 1996. He had quit smoking almost 30 years before his death. Please stop....
    ukfireball likes this.

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    I agree with Trish. Please stop. Do not play games with this another day. It IS a matter of life or death. Yours.
    ukfireball likes this.
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

SummerBob is offline Super Moderator
    I told this story on another thread, but since this is about smoking I copied it here....

I quite smoking on 10/31/2005. At that time I was hiding my cigarettes from my oldest son, who was 10, because I didn't want to send the message that smoking is ok. While the kids were trick-o-treating I was outside for a smoke and I heard them return earlier than expected, so I scrambled to hide them. The next day I couldn't remember where I hid them and was late for work, so I left without them. I didn't want to buy a new pack when I had a full pack at home, so I went without smoking that day. Ditto the next day. After three days I remember thinking, "If it's this easy to not smoke for 3 days, then why not not smoke at all". And I didn't after that. It's been 8 years.

It's easier to quit cold-turkey than most people realize. Just put out your last cigarette and walk away from it.
    Faith, ukfireball and NY10 like this.
    Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet."

Like I said, the main reason for quitting is health related. I do not want to die young. I want to be one of these old people well into their 80's even 90's I see pushing a walker and still being active. I plan on having a long healthy life and I DO NOT want to be the reason I don't get it.

I have played with the idea of stopping before but now more than ever I am serious am taking the steps to stop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast