AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Is it bad business to close early, even by a few minutes?

Azureth is offline Banned

Is it bad business to close early, even by a few minutes?

So my friend went to pick up an item yesterday and got there 5 minutes before closing time but the owner just kept saying they're closed. My friend even told him there's 5 minutes left before it's supposed to close but the owner didn't care he just kept saying they're closed.

Same thing happened to me awhile back. Got there 7 minutes before they close and the owner just kept telling me they're closed.

Seriously, if your sign says you are open till X then shouldn't they be open till X? I realize it takes time to close up shop and stuff, but really if you're going to do this you may as well add a "Open till x....but we close 5-10 minutes early".

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    I hate it when businesses do that too. That is poor service.

On the other hand, in my own business, we sometimes close early, but it does not affect business, since we are not a store, our customers hardly ever visit us, and certainly not without calling first. If there is an after hours call, the call forwarding system forwards the call to my project manager and she takes care of business.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

NY10 is offline Senior Member
    I think we have all experienced this. On the other hand I have walked into a store as they were actually closing, counting the drawers and everything and the nice man actually let me get a few emergency things I needed.

I believe that if you say you are open until X you should have your doors open until X.

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member
    I can see it both ways.

If someone comes in 5 mins before closing and I can take the enquiry or close the transaction within the time remaining, by all means I will. I'm paid to be there.

If someone walks in 5 mins before closing with a PITA attitude or a transaction that I can't complete before closing, I ask the person to come back. I'm not authorized overtime, having a client there after business hours presents liability issues, and bending the rules for that person is not worth my job.

Where I work, we report an hour before we open to the public, and we close to the public an hour before quitting time. We also have the discretion to stop taking new clients 30 mins before closing, if we know there's not time to serve that person before quitting time. We know what we can--and can't--do in 30 mins, and we are supposed to do our best to make sure we don't ask anyone to come back the next day unless it is absolutely necessary to do so.

Some of us--at least one person in each office--also have the flexibility to schedule appointments in that hour before or after we're open to the public, if that works best for the client.

Another reason for closing up shop promptly: some of our community partners have software systems that lock all users out at specific times of day, to prevent things like unauthorized overtime and after-hours transactions to "fudge" a service date.

I've had hourly coworkers who got turned in (by salaried staff) for being logged in to their workstations on weekends. That's not the route I'd take if I noticed something like that, but then I still work there and the person who dobbed them in doesn't.

In other environments, like at a sit-down restaurant, if you come in just before closing and they seat you & let you order from the full menu, you'd better have the manners to leave at least a 20% tip.

If you walk in just before closing and the owner won't take your business, it's probably a polite way of telling you he (or she), for whatever reason, doesn't want to deal with you personally. It's generally due to the customer's attitude, but it could be that the work they're requesting is too much headache to take on. Either way, they've decided it's just not worth it to them.

MM
    Last edited by MissMuffins; 08-12-2013 at 10:06 PM.
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

mskitty Guest

open means open for business....

I have had a few shops in my life..I was never very successful at that type of business (hated being tethered to a retail shop) but when I did ...if I let someone in the store then the store was open. I would Never let someone in the store then say it is closed...if you are counting the till then the doors should be locked. .

SummerBob is offline Super Moderator
    I have a unique story about closing gas stations.

I worked at a station during the 1979 gas crisis, when we had long lines. What we did was put a "last car" sign on the back of my car (or the car of whoever closed), and I would drive around and get in line. I got a few explicitives, the bird a few times, etc., but most people were polite about it. They were grateful they didn't have to wait an hour in line only to then be told we're closed.
    trolleycar and NY10 like this.
    Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet."

AmandaAlice is offline Senior Member
    When I worked at the bar my former step-dad owned, we would close early a lot. I didn't like it, but he and the other barmaid were always all for it. Some days, like Mondays when business was always slow, and we might see less than 20 customers all day, she'd have us shut down and out of there by 9 when we were posted open til 1 a.m (when license said we had to quit serving) every day but Sundays, which we'd usually be closed for unless it was NASCAR season. I mean, sure, I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I liked getting out of there early to go do my own thing, specially since I was working 6 days a week for 8-12 hours a day, but knowing how bad it was for business would bug me. People would complain later on in the week 'Oh, I stopped by with some friends the other night but y'all were closed,' stuff like that. And between that and other factors, we did lose some business. Now though, someone else is running the place, and it seems to be doing ok, so I'm glad

gorillagirl Guest
    It seems that AL needs a new category. This is NOT chit chat related to relationships at all so we need something other than ChitChat OW/YM or ChitChat OM/YW. We just need a general chit chat category. It's amazing to me how all this non-relationship general fluff gets so much attention. LOL.
    Last edited by gorillagirl; 08-13-2013 at 01:04 PM.

pinkunicorn is offline Senior Member
    I can understand closing early if business is slow. The chiropractor I used to work for would do that. If we didn't have any appointments on the books in the afternoon, and we office staff were finished with our other duties, he would send us home early. No point in paying us for standing around waiting for the phone to ring. Most of the time, he would stay at the office doing his paperwork so if someone called or came by, he would be there. But there were times he left, too. I always felt weird about that. What if someone called to make an appointment?

In Azureth's original post, though, I can see how that could be considered bad business. When I worked in retail, we would make an announcement over the intercom 15, 10, and 5 minutes before closing, letting current shoppers know that we will be closing soon. If any new customers came in, we would tell them, "We will be closing in a few minutes." Usually they would acknowledge that and grab their items quickly. We rarely had anyone who would browse and take their sweet time. But if they did, we'd stick around until they finished. If the cashiers were close to getting 40 hours (we weren't allowed to work overtime), one of the salaried group managers would stay. But in the 3 years I worked there, we only had to do that once.

I think the store managers in Azureth's situation, rather than flat out saying "We're closed" should have said, "Just so you know, I have to lock my till in 5 minutes." or something to that effect. That way you guys would know to hurry it up, he would still have business (and good word of mouth following the transaction), and still be able to get out of there at a reasonable time.
    ukfireball likes this.
    Never try to fit in when you are meant to stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    It seems that AL needs a new category. This is NOT chit chat related to relationships at all so we need something other than ChitChat OW/YM or ChitChat OM/YW. We just need a general chit chat category. It's amazing to me how all this non-relationship general fluff gets so much attention. LOL.
    When I joined AL there was only ONE ChitChat. I never understood why they were separated as ChitChat OW/YM and ChitChat YW/OM, by definition, is not related to relationships. So the OW/YM/YW/OM does not apply.

If more people agree I will post a survey and bring it up to the Admins.

The fact that general fluff gets so much attention is a sign that we are a community of friends who enjoy shooting the breeze together, and that we not only come here to ask for support when our SO is being a jerk or when we are plucking age gap daysies.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    Yesterday I saw a cafe with this policy posted on a sign in the window:

WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SERVE REFUSE TO ANYONE.

"Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    Yesterday I saw a cafe with this policy posted on a sign in the window:

WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SERVE REFUSE TO ANYONE.

At least they are open about it.
    LOL.
    Redhead likes this.

degausser is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SheLikesKitties View Post
    plucking age gap daysies.
    Can that be the official slogan of this site?
    SheLikesKitties and mskitty like this.

theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    When I joined AL there was only ONE ChitChat. I never understood why they were separated as ChitChat OW/YM and ChitChat YW/OM, by definition, is not related to relationships. So the OW/YM/YW/OM does not apply.

The fact that general fluff gets so much attention is a sign that we are a community of friends who enjoy shooting the breeze together, and that we not only come here to ask for support when our SO is being a jerk or when we are plucking age gap daysies.
    Yes, I remember when there was only one Chit Chat section. My member date says 2006 but I, originally, became a member in 2002. I left for awhile for personal reasons. Then I rejoined and
    didn't post much. Anyway, Chit Chat was always a section for discussion of general topics. The relationship sections were for people to discuss their relationships.

The fact that we're of various ages, discussing lots of different subjects, shows that we're all more alike than different, doesn't it?

I have more to discuss, in general, than my relationships. If that's all we're supposed to talk about, then I definitely don't belong here.
    Redhead, Azureth and ukfireball like this.

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    When I joined AL there was only ONE ChitChat. [...]

The fact that general fluff gets so much attention is a sign that we are a community of friends who enjoy shooting the breeze together...
    I am all in favor of creating one Chitchat forum and renaming it General Fluff.
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast