AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: When was the last time you updated your look?

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member

When was the last time you updated your look?

I decided to keep the job I have rather than attempt to start another at this point in my life. Several things went into that decision. First, there's the "where ever you go, there you are" principle. I realized that I'd be running from a situation I'm tired of and just don't want to deal with any more, instead of doing my best to deal with it and then moving into a positive situation. Second, there's too much going on with the grumpy guy's health right now. A third consideration: as much as I'd like to change jobs and move to something with a better retirement, I would be in a better position to do that AFTER I purchase a home.

Not a consideration: if I'd changed jobs, I would have needed a new wardrobe.

As a general rule, I need to dress casually for my job. While browsing for the clothing to go with the potential career change, I realized how freaking tired I am of jeans and T-shirts. If I wanted to jazz things up, I wore a coordinating cotton bandanna as a headband or headscarf. I like denim because it's durable, but jeans just don't look good on my body and they look so...casual. I like T-shirts because they don't show off more than I want them to and they don't cost a fortune, so I don't feel like it's a tragedy if I ruin one in the warehouse or at someone's house.

I think I found a work-around: denim skirts paired with tops constructed of the same knit cotton blends that T-shirts are made from, but not in the classic "round neck/V-neck" women's T-shirt variations. (I'm intentionally not purchasing polo shirts. When we ordered some for work, a coworker helped herself to mine and my boss didn't order more to replace them. If work wants me to wear polo shirts, work can buy me polo shirts and keep good enough watch on the order to not let someone else take mine home with them.)

I'd picked up a couple of things and made mental notes of where to buy several other items I liked, but I hadn't found any denim skirts yet.

Azureth's thread about clothes shopping, the responses it generated, and some good online discounts gave me a firm push in that direction, and I went on a clothes shopping binge this weekend.

Several denim skirts and two pairs of embellished jeans are now on their way to live with me. Joining them will be a few new tops and maybe enough shoes for an army. Okay, maybe it's only three pairs of shoes and a pair of boots.

I also got a pair of rhumba panties. I've always wanted some, and I don't even care if they don't get me laid.

On a related note: I've been culling all the cute shoes that hurt my feet if I have to stand in them for a few hours and replacing them with cute shoes that don't hurt my feet if I have to stand in them all day. Also, all of my shoes are dark and most of them are black or dark brown, which are winter colors. I needed some shoes in summer colors. Now's a good time to pick them up, because they're marked down. I got two in bone/taupe, and one in a funky color of salmon that will look sweet with my purple, navy blue and brown dresses. Depending on the exact shade, they may even look sharp with my new red dress. If they do work with the red dress, it'll be amazing. If not, they'll still look super cute with my other dresses.

I'm still really good about stretching a dollar--I got everything on sale and most of it with free shipping, but it was nice that I didn't have to get everything on clearance.

When the skirts get here, I am going to start setting my hair. It will be the same cut & color, but it will look different because it'll be in loose curls.

When was the last time other members of the forum updated your "looks"?

When you do update your look, how do you do it? Do you go gradually, or plunge in all at once? Do you worry about winter colors/summer seasonal colors? Do you update with accessories--jewelry, shoes and handbags--clothes, hairstyle, or go whole hog?

MM
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

gorillagirl Guest
    every few years i shave my head. that's about it. then it grows out again after about 2 years. shave/grow repeat. i pierced my nose but after 6.5 months, i took the stud out to clean it and the hole closed up right away. i don't give a hoot about fashion. MM- you made a good choice not to pursue the teaching thing. It's a very stressful gig.

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    MM, some very good insights there. I'm glad you're not going to force yourself into a new job. This isn't the right time. But hey! it's always a good time to rethink your look.

Here's a link with several articles you might like:
    Clothes | Small Notebook

As for me, I had been overweight for the past few years and thus I had swathed myself in baggy black clothes to hide the fatness (yeah right, like that works ). But I started losing weight very slowly and sensibly 2 years ago, and for the past year I've been down in the normal BMI range. I'm still dropping weight verrrry slowly (to save my skin from sagging). The fun part is getting rid of those fat black clothes one by one. I have a closet full of colored clothes from my thinner days, and now I'm starting to wear them again! Color wow!! Makes me feel alive again. I had almost forgotten the feeling.
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

degausser is offline Senior Member
    I was going to say I haven't updated my look in ages-if-ever but the more I think about it, that's not true at all.

I've always had very eclectic taste in clothing, but in college I got particularly funky. I wore a lot of mismatched outfits, usually dresses or skirts, leggings and legwarmers all fall/winter/spring. Got a second set of ear piercings and would always wear four dangly earrings that didn't match. Usually wearing slouchy boots of some kind. Dorm life led me to believe that leggings, boots, a pair of polka dot pajama shorts, and men's flannel was an acceptable outfit for many occasions (It's not!).

When I came back to Connecticut after two years I got a little less funky, keeping a few elements but moving on to more basic summer dresses, shorts and tanks/tees, and whatever was fashionable at the time.

By the time I started dating my current boyfriend, he was playing at a lot of bars and I was 20, so I got into the habit of trying to look older. I would straighten my hair and try to find outfits that didn't suggest that I had graduated high school less than three years ago. One day a year or two ago I realized how boring my wardrobe was. So I've been trying to get back to a nice balanced and eclectic place. I've been trying to incorporate cuter summer shoes because I easily get into the habit of wearing flip flops for three seasons of the year. I don't worry (or know) about seasonal colors or anything like that. I usually update somewhat gradually - maybe buying a few things at once, but trying to change my whole style all at once seems like too much pressure. Like I'm trying to tell myself to be a certain way.

As for hair, I haven't made any major changes to it in awhile, and don't plan to. I've been dying it red for many years, but have been sticking with the same shade since college. One day I had a really crazy realization...I have nice hair I spent so many years trying to style it, but if I just let it air dry it's naturally wavy and looks just fine. If I apply something for frizz and air dry, it actually looks nice. I go back and forth with bangs, usually side bangs. It's a cycle. See cute bangs, decide I need them, have them, like them, get sick of them, decide I want to grow them out, grow them out, see cute bangs, decide I need them. Right now I'm growing them out.
    Last edited by degausser; 08-19-2013 at 10:25 AM.

AmandaAlice is offline Senior Member
    The last time I made any drastic changes to my style was after high schhol. Through school, I wore those huge-legged jeans, usually paired with a tighter girls' style tee shirt, usually with a saying/logo/cartoon character etc. If not a shirt like that then it'd be a mens' blue button-up workshirt from my grandpa after he retired. Or my friend's long lab-shirt that was from her vocational school. When I went to work in the bar, my step-dad forbade my huge-leg jeans, so I had to start wearing regular ol' flare jeans. I was skinny for about 5 minutes, lol, and wore all kinds of cute filmy shirts from Forever 21 and Deb's and corset tops from Hot Topic. Once I started chunkin' up again, I went back to t-shirts for awhile, but hated the feel of em up around my neck, so now I wear tank-tops with a zip-up hoody over em, either a regular sweatshirt style in the winter of a short-sleeve cotton zip-up in the summer. I do have a couple nicer, non-hoody needing shirts too for when we go out. Still flare jeans though, they couldn't pay me to wear straight-leg or skinny jeans. I haven't worn a dress since senior prom, and a fancy Cinderella type ballgown is about the only kind of dress I would ever even consider wearing. Oddly, I love em, but they're not exactly regular wear, lol. I don't have the legs for skirts, and the long maxi-style ones just make me look fatter. Haven't worn shorts since 5th grade either for that matter. I probably do need a new, more grown-up and professional sort of look, but I am so picky, and comfortable with my clothes now.

Air
    Air is offline Senior Member
    I don't think I've changed styles dramatically during the years. Unfortunately clothes have never interested me the slightest not even during my teenage when you are supposed to be at least following the trends. I actually think I started my own trends in high school when I used to come to the lectures in my dad's old pajamas

I've had job where I had to wear some sort of suit or some kind of shirt and jacket but mostly I feel best in jeans and t-shirt. I rarely wear dresses or skirts, I do not feel comfortable in it. When it comes to shoes I had badly hurt my left foot so nowadays high heels is more or less "no-no" and I have to invest in sneakers I dye my hair I don't like it gray but my hairdresser often refuses me to have the blue or red color I want to have....and sets it in more neutral brown which is my natural color.
    Navigare necesse est!

pinkunicorn is offline Senior Member
    Back in February, I chopped my just-past-my-shoulders hair to ear-lobe length. I hated it. I couldn't be mad at my stylist about it because she did exactly what I wanted and did a great job at it. Everyone else gave me many compliments, too. But I just don't care for the way short hair looks on me and the way it makes me feel (hard to explain).

I enjoy my general style--laid back jeans & t-shirt (or tank top!), biker boots. Casual without looking "ratty" and then I like to bling it up with awesome accessories such as layered necklaces, layered bracelets, earrings, etc. And I'm a makeup junkie as well as a jewelry junkie!
    Never try to fit in when you are meant to stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by MissMuffins View Post
    ...I'm intentionally not purchasing polo shirts. When we ordered some for work, a coworker helped herself to mine and my boss didn't order more to replace them. If work wants me to wear polo shirts, work can buy me polo shirts and keep good enough watch on the order to not let someone else take mine home with them.
    Hey! I noticed that I used six four-letter words in a row, and none of them were "blue." So I fixed that.

When I was married to my first ex husband, he had an issue with it if I wore anything other than athletic shoes, jeans and a T-shirt or sweatshirt with some kind of screen print on it. When he wasn't around, I wore what I wanted. After we divorced I got rid of almost all of my screen printed T-shirts and all of the plastic "69 refill" cups that came from fast food restaurants.

I'm apparently more of a fashionista/clothes horse than I want to admit. I have a ton of cool stuff, but I get in a rut and wear the same things day after day and for some reason I don't wear my cool stuff...like my toile skort. (For those unfamiliar with the term skort, skorts are a skirt with an attached pair of shorts beneath the skirt. They're also called scooter skirts.) I like skorts because they look more polished than Bermuda shorts or walking shorts, they're a great transitional piece (pair them with light & medium colored tights in late spring, medium and dark colored tights in autumn, and wear them without tights in summer), most workplaces don't have dress codes against them like they do miniskirts or shorts, and a skort lets me wear an above-the-knee skirt anywhere I want without having to worry about whether or not some perv might be looking up my skirt.

Maybe my rut is on account of not being much of a morning person.

Or maybe it's on account of having a really, truly superbly crappy closet. I LOVED my closet in my last apartment. In fact, I loved that whole apartment. If I could have moved that apartment to this part of town, I would have.

It seems I update my look in spurts, depending upon what's happening with my weight and my budget. (Good point, Faith, about losing weight slooooowly so as to avoid sagging skin. I needed the reminder. Now I won't be so frustrated with myself for opting for 1-2 lbs/wk rather than feeling like a failure because I don't have the "willpower" to follow some "30 lbs in 30 days" quackery.)

Usually I perk things up with accessories, leaning more toward jewelry and hair "pretties." Favorites are vintage rhinestones, 1928, 1928's Vatican Library collection, Black Hills gold, and semi-precious stones set in ethnic settings of .925 silver. I have some lovely green Baltic amber, Russian turquoise, and blue coral.

About 5 years ago, I decided I needed some really cool shoes and handbags to go with them. Unfortunately, even with careful use, my really cool shoes are now wearing out.

A couple of years after I did the shoe thing, I found some hats. I like hats a lot, but not just any hat. I have to wait for the kind I like & think look best on me to be in style and then get them. The grumpy guy really likes my hats, too.

I find myself doing that a lot...waiting for the things I like & think look best on me to be in style, then get them in multiples.

I've had several cotton-blend knit "T shirts that aren't T shirts" for a while. They're super-cute, but I stopped wearing them because the waistline on jeans and hemline on shirts changed; between the two, both halves didn't always meet the middle or cut me in half at my widest point...neither of which look good. I'm looking forward to when my new skirts get here, because they sit at my natural waistline and I'll be able to wear some of those favorite tops again. (I look better in "mom jeans" instead of this hip-hugger "muffin top" nonsense.)

In the past, I have updated my look by changing my hair style and/or color. I've had long hair, curly hair, blonde hair, red hair, short hair, and on one occasion, purple hair. I've settled upon a style, length & color I like. Similar to the experience pinkunicorn described about having her hair cut, I had mine cut shorter than it had been in a while. In my case, I went from waist-length to shoulder length, and I didn't like how I felt. Like I was missing a part of myself. I couldn't wait for my hair to grow back. I probably won't let it go waist-length again, yet I am equally unlikely to wear it short again.

So anyway, that's my fashion ramble for the day.

MM
    Last edited by MissMuffins; 08-19-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

NY10 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know the last time I changed my look, probably after high school/college. Back in those days clothing was a little different than today and I don't think I can pull off my high school look at 17 10 years later.

For work I have to dress suitable. I am a teacher and work with young children so I often wear nicer dress pants, shoes and a nice top. I do still wear sandals and tank tops and I love wearing jeans. If they fit you good and you dress them up for work you can pull it off. Of course now on summer break my clothing consists of tanks, short shorts and flip flops everyday!

kitkat620 is offline wishful thinker
    Oh goody, I like this thread...

Well, let me see, in the last couple of months I slowly chopped off 1/2 inches of my hair until I took off about 4 inches total, which was HUGE for me. Now, I am in the process of growing out my bangs and I am going to go MUCH lighter in color...maybe even sandy blonde. And I have gotten serious about getting healthy and keeping physically active. Now my jeans are fitting much better!

As far as my fashionable style, I would say I have always been somewhat eclectic. I am rock and roll, biker chick, nerd, yuppie, new wave, country, and anything else mixed in to make me one of a kind (in my feeble minded opinion, anyways.)

Actually, I just went to see Black Sabbath with two of my old, very awesome, can't live without friends, and I dressed in cutoffs, black sabbath t-shirt, black combat boots w/sox, hair ratted up and messy, all my piercings filled, and my girlfriend looked at me, smiled, looked at our other friend, and said, 'that is 'Sue'.

My hair color my change, my hair length might change, I will forever fight to be within 10 lbs. of my ideal weight, and I will go from wearing cowboy boots and jean skirts one day to a black sabbath tshirt and combat boots the next, but I will always be 'just Sue' to those who know and love me. What more could a woman ask for?
    "We must become the change we want to see."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuffins View Post
    It seems I update my look in spurts, depending upon what's happening with my weight and my budget. (Good point, Faith, about losing weight slooooowly so as to avoid sagging skin. I needed the reminder. Now I won't be so frustrated with myself for opting for 1-2 lbs/wk rather than feeling like a failure because I don't have the "willpower" to follow some "30 lbs in 30 days" quackery.)
    I've been dropping about 2 pounds per month all year long. It's an easy pace, and I never feel deprived.

But speaking of changing one's look...I received a surprise compliment today. I used to always shop up in the "plus size" clothing section. Today I was browsing around in Nordstrom, and when I wandered upstairs through my old stomping grounds, the saleswoman (herself a plus size) said: "Are you looking for a gift for someone? Because if you're looking for yourself, the regular sizes are on the lower floors."

Nice!
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

trolleycar is offline I still play with trains
    Clothes are the what I wear so I do not get arrested for indecent exposure.
    Most of the Time I ware I think they are called cargo pants they are the ones with the large pockets on the legs and fire Department logo Tee shirts.
    And since I am a photographer I wear a hunters vest the are the same thing as a photographer's vest but cost about half the price
    I am happy with as long as the vest has a zillion pockets and being the fire department photographer. I could not dress like I do if i shot weddings or portraits.
    About a year ago i reopen a travel service that I had ran back in the late 1960's So I looked though my dresser clothes i found I did not have any . So I started to look for dresser clothes I went into a clothier that ads of TV . You know the kind our prices will ever be beaten. Well $500.00 for a sport coat i not in
    my price range. thanks to Walmart I was able to get six pair of pants, eight dress shirts five ties, two sweaters and for $200.00 more fours sport jackets.
    and a visit to Sams Club 12 pair of socks. So all that need need is six pair of shoes and I will not be needing much more of any thing else .
    Now that my girl friend and her daughter and her mom are finely come to the states to live here with me. and she asked me what did have to ware for the wedding I said a pair of bib overalls and A Western Maryland Railroad logo tee shirt. and she said on no you are not going to wear that for out wedding.
    She wants me to wear a suit Gut clothes is some think I do not worry about.
    MissMuffins likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by trolleycar View Post
    Clothes are the what I wear so I do not get arrested for indecent exposure.
    Most of the Time I ware I think they are called cargo pants they are the ones with the large pockets on the legs and fire Department logo Tee shirts.
    And since I am a photographer I wear a hunters vest the are the same thing as a photographer's vest but cost about half the price
    I am happy with as long as the vest has a zillion pockets and being the fire department photographer. I could not dress like I do if i shot weddings or portraits.
    About a year ago i reopen a travel service that I had ran back in the late 1960's So I looked though my dresser clothes i found I did not have any . So I started to look for dresser clothes I went into a clothier that ads of TV . You know the kind our prices will ever be beaten. Well $500.00 for a sport coat i not in
    my price range. thanks to Walmart I was able to get six pair of pants, eight dress shirts five ties, two sweaters and for $200.00 more fours sport jackets.
    and a visit to Sams Club 12 pair of socks. So all that need need is six pair of shoes and I will not be needing much more of any thing else .
    Now that my girl friend and her daughter and her mom are finely come to the states to live here with me. and she asked me what did have to ware for the wedding I said a pair of bib overalls and A Western Maryland Railroad logo tee shirt. and she said on no you are not going to wear that for out wedding.
    She wants me to wear a suit Gut clothes is some think I do not worry about.
    trolleycar, you make me laugh. There's something to be said for finding a look that works for you and sticking with it!

If you want to get married in bib overalls and you & your gal wouldn't mind getting married in a grain field, I could probably hook the two of you up.

About your hunting/photographer's vest...my sweetie has long been known for the stuff he keeps in his pockets, and he loves the TV show "Survivor." He can't have a coat or pants that don't have pockets, and I often tease him that he could live for a month on the crap he keeps in his pockets. I swear, he must have enough toothpicks in there to build a cabin or raft! Another joke I tell people is that if they ever go on "Survivor," they want the grumpy guy and his coat on their team.

MM

Pickles is offline Senior Member
    I'm still slowly losing weight..I had already accidently lost too much too fast and got some Dunlop in the baby belly area..ARRRGH it is so hard to work off and tighten.
    While miserable in FL I really packed on some weight... I had made my career choice as Mean Cat Lady.. and with bad diet and stress both my son asn I had picked up weight. I was wearing size 50 waist! I had dropped down to 42 when hunny decided he liked what he saw. Even when I let him see more a few months later.

But I do not want to think of new style until I drop down at least to my customary 30-32 and get rid of the chicken cutlets. I already have the native american wide shoulders and have to take care of my posture so nots to look a goon. I don't want the new jeans with muffin top even on thin girls and the **** crack. I'll pass.
    and some of the retro wear ..I wouldn't wear when the look was first touted at The Gap. Ugly is ugly and I hate thick scratchy materials.
    from being a racer and gaining weight I have left a lot of my wide leg skater stuff. But well... I just am not feeling it anymore. I want to update my wardrobe to attractive, sexy but mature with a few saucy pieces.

Hunny; surprisingly ;gave an opinion that he doesn't care for the look of baby doll dresses on women. Not that I had any really... But was wearing along babydoll style top with shorty shorts the other day. I loved the colors and it was $4...and my size (*important fact there*)
    And though I don't dress for a man (had one TELLING me for years what to wear so I rebel at the thought now..lol) I probably will not choose too many of the style... though he likes my empire style maxi.

I have too much clothes so want to drop to a mix/match closet. But I am moody and also often have to fit with different types depending on personal jock style or being the entertaining hostess. I do want to look more feminine than I was wont previously. the best styles for my body shape, coloration and needs often don't come over a size 14. And good fitting bras (which can determine how a top fits you) are hard to find and afford and still be pretty. wal mart doesn't cut it.

My last TRUE real update was 2004 with a supplemental shopping day in 2009. Most my clothes I have I wore in college,,, even High School. Specially my ethnic clothes bought while traveling the world with my dad (Ive been this height since 12)
    Faith and MissMuffins like this.
    Daisypath Friendship tickers
    ............Unexpected pleasures are sweetest

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    But I do not want to think of new style until I drop down at least to my customary 30-32...I have too much clothes so want to drop to a mix/match closet. But I am moody and also often have to fit with different types depending on personal jock style or being the entertaining hostess. I do want to look more feminine than I was wont previously. the best styles for my body shape, coloration and needs often don't come over a size 14. And good fitting bras (which can determine how a top fits you) are hard to find and afford and still be pretty. wal mart doesn't cut it.

My last TRUE real update was 2004 with a supplemental shopping day in 2009. Most my clothes I have I wore in college,,, even High School. Specially my ethnic clothes bought while traveling the world with my dad (Ive been this height since 12)
    You're right--some people need different types of clothes for different reasons, like to dress to reflect different moods, have body types that aren't easy to fit, and have some clothes that aren't just clothes--they're mementos or heirlooms, and not easily replaced.

My clothes that are keepsakes are stored separately from the clothes that make up my wardrobe, and they're exempt from "if you haven't worn it in ___ months/years, you don't need it" purging.

When I am at physical therapy, I have to look at myself in the mirror to make sure I maintain correct posture for certain exercises. I have a lot of trouble doing it, because I am not--and have rarely been--comfortable with my appearance. I've come to understand that I have a distorted self image; even when I'm thinner than I am now, I see myself as fat. I'm particularly uncomfortable with my weight now, as I am 35 lbs over my "I will never weigh that again" weight.

I decided to accept I am the size that I am now. Whether or not I am overweight, it is okay for me to have pretty clothes that fit well at the size that I am. When I get to a smaller size, I can get different pretty clothes that fit me well then.

I also decided it's okay for me to dress like an attractive female. Unlike while living in my family of origin or during my first marriage, I can now do that without it being seen as a "sign" of anything.

I'm happy with purchases I've made online at the Leggs, Hanes, Bali outlet and One Stop Plus (Roaman's, Jessica London & Woman Within). If I can, I hold out until they're running a good sale with free shipping.

MM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast