AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: displaced Filipinos

mskitty is offline Member

displaced Filipinos

Well I have taken steps in offering my two empty suites in this old house to help a displaced family from the disaster if they want to relocate to the USA ...I have written several agencies including the Red Cross and the Women's shelter there in the Philippines. This came to me as a way to not only help those in need but for my need also. I ramble around in this old huge house with no direction and no family other than my aging mother. I am a little concerned but feel that there are several local folks that will help me in this so I feel confident that this is a positive move. I have been around several Filipino people when I lived in Hawaii... and know them to be so open and kind as many Islanders are. Course I am not sure anyone will take me up on my offer but we shall see.
    Mebel likes this.

gorillagirl Guest
    it might be easier to find survivors not through international organizations but through local people/churches/civic groups. i live very close to a city called Daly City (near San Francisco) which has the 2nd largest population of Filipinos in the USA. perhaps writing to the Daly City newspaper here might get you some results. locals read the paper and contact their friends and families over there. you can also call Daly City churches and speak to their staff. the big issue will be $ for the flights. it's a very nice thought. you could always take in a local homeless woman and kids if you can't find any filipinos or become a foster mom. the state will pay you a stipend for fostering so you don't have to chew through your savings trying to help out another human being. or just wait until next hurricane season and offer your home to folks from the USA who get walloped by the next big one. or i could just drive to Serramonte Mall (where 95% of shoppers are filipino) and pass out flyers for ya. xoxoxox

http://www.philippinenews.com/

http://asianjournal.com/

http://www.filipino.com/sponsors/filguard/

i'm so tempted to derail your thread into the pros/cons of the USA offering international aid to other countries while we're not taking care of "our own" but i won't. xoxoxo
    Last edited by gorillagirl; 11-16-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    SheLikesKitties likes this.

maybe you are right ...I should probably look at charity beginning at home first... it was a call on the news channel from our :first lady here in Indy to help because she is Filipino..
    hugs xoxo
    gorillagirl likes this.

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    Your intentions are very kind-hearted and generous. Your plans may still work if aid agencies can collaborate with airlines to provide refugees with donated frequent flyer miles. Otherwise, I'm afraid that Filipinos most seriously in need will not have the financial means to relocate so far away from home. Also, there may be some restriction on the length of allowable stay in the US depending on what Filipino passports allow... possibly only 90 days, I think, but I'm not positive about that.

GG's suggestions are excellent. Look into some of those resources for Filipino aid before you discard your plans.
    gorillagirl likes this.
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

gorillagirl Guest
    maybe your mayor personally knows families you could open your home to. if you are serious, i do live 5 minutes from daly city and can easily check resources for ya next week. google it. this wiki article mentions daly city. i believe LA has a higher population but daly city is more concentrated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...pino_Americans
    mskitty likes this.

theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    Such a kind, wonderful thing for you to offer, MsKitty. Hugs to you!
    mskitty likes this.

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    I honestly would not do it.
    The potential for things going wrong is huge.
    While Philipinos in general are nice people, their culture may be incompatible for living arrangements.

GG: I like your idea of discussing foreign aid. Maybe you should open a thread in the Den to give the Obamacare thread a break.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

gorillagirl Guest
    i wouldn't do it because they eat fish heads (including eyeballs) and eggs with the chicken embryo growing inside. i wouldn't want that kind of "food" in my house. filipino food is disgusting.

theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    i wouldn't do it because they eat fish heads (including eyeballs) and eggs with the chicken embryo growing inside. i wouldn't want that kind of "food" in my house. filipino food is disgusting.
    I have respect for all people and all cultures but......YUCK!!!!
    gorillagirl and mskitty like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    I would really have a difficult time with that.as of fact I know I could not ... I am trying to cut out all meat from my diet (have a few relapses from time to time..mainly smoked salmon)..I think maybe I did not think this thru all the way... GG..I did contact the Mayors wife... she is the one who told me to go to the red cross. Well.. I just had a overwhelming feeling to help but I am thinking I need to regroup. I would hate to have some family move in and then I am upset about their culture. The Filipino family I lived with in Hawaii were born in Hawaii...and surfers... I guess I am not thinking clearly these days... Just bouncing off the walls over here...

gorillagirl Guest
    are you catholic? most filipinos are super religious. your mayor had a good idea even though it's likely a cultural mismatch-but short term would be maybe work out for you. unless faith's idea about airlines giving free/discount tickets OUT of the philippines is a reality, it's unlikely individual/family resources for relocation are available...and there are millions of filipino families here in the US and that would likely be more comfortable for any families requiring relocation. if you do it, bravo! i just couldn't deal with the smell of all that fish in my house. no chance. i don't even let my roommates cook fish in my 2nd kitchen (garage remodel). my main kitchen is veg. but fish permeating the house from the 2nd kitchen would make me so ill. you can come visit me though and i'll torture you through vegetarian bootcamp. LOL. seriously, when it's cold and snowy in indy, california might be a nice vacation.

You are great GG...no not Catholic... Mom is from Usingen Im Taunus, Germany.. They owned a bakery...Moses family. Americans marched in and Dad was a sgt in the army WW2 (saved the day)married mom and brought her to Indiana...so the reality of that was ...no religion was introduced...I am free lance...lol... Also I just talked with mom's therapist who is Filipino and set me straight on a few things...so I am going to pass on the initial proposal for now...I should have done more research /homework before trying to jump in with both feet... it was just overwhelming for me at this time in my life..Mike and I breaking up..no life in this old house .lonely and worn out.... and of course I am a giver... always willing to help someone that is more needy than me.. but I have to realize my limits and mom is so old that any kind of bug will kill her. She is 88 now and not in good health. I am glad I could get this talked thru here before I made a solid commitment to someone .. I just spoke too quickly.
    gorillagirl likes this.

Possibly you can still help in some other ways that are more suitable to your situation.
    Don't let your good heart get derailed by xenophobia.
    gorillagirl and mskitty like this.

gorillagirl Guest
    "derailed by xenophobia..."
    for me, xenophobia has nothing to do with it. personally, it's all about eating gross food like fish brains and eye balls....veganphobia.
    mskitty likes this.

Sweeping generalizations about other cultures are unwise. For example, saying that Americans are overweight/obese and eat fast food. Not true, not all Americans. Only 68%.
    mskitty and gorillagirl like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast