AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Faith
  • 1 Post By MissMuffins
  • 5 Post By trolleycar
  • 1 Post By M&M

Thread: Volunteering

Faith is offline Some assembly required

Volunteering

Do you work as a volunteer? Please tell us about it!

I volunteer for a year-round music festival... greeting, ushering, selling CDs and so forth. My duties keep me on my feet most of the time, but I always get to hear the concerts, whether sitting or standing. Been doing this about once a week for 7 years, and loving it.

In the past, I've also volunteered in the kitchen and library of my meditation center, but an injury to my hands put an end to that. I'd like to try it again, now that my hands are better.

Also, there's a phone line for lonely seniors... calling to check in on them. I'm thinking about trying this, though I'm a bit worried that it might not be good for my depression. I guess there's only one way to find out, which is to try it.

At this time of year, a lot of one-time do-gooders rush to sign up for serving Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners to the homeless. There's always a flood of volunteers for those holidays, but then they drop out the rest of the year.

What about you? Do you do any regular year-round volunteering?
    gorillagirl likes this.
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member
    I enjoy volunteering, but I've cut back on it since accepting my current position. I donate hotel-sized toiletries (which I get a lot of, by traveling for work) and plastic shopping bags to the foodbank at work. I started an ongoing service project for a women's organization I used to be active in--each month, we donated our plastic shopping bags to the food bank at work. I also organized a toiletry drive to benefit the local food bank at a convention I attended.

Before I was hired, I volunteered for about a year with a program that is sponsored by my current employer.

I performed two years of full time AmeriCorps service as a "compensated volunteer."

For about 3 years I volunteered at church, as a member of the choir.

Before that, I was an active parent volunteer while my sons were in elementary school, and tutored student athletes at my older son's high school.

MM
    Angel likes this.
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

trolleycar is offline I still play with trains
    Yes I volunteer I have been a Volunteer Fire Fighter for the last 25 years.
    I enjoy being able to help folks. There is a great amount bonding between members of the the Department and me Engine Company .
    The bonding comes from having to trust the other members company with your live then we are on a run.
    Our department does the EMS service In town. So we help the folks when illness strikes as well.
    We also do a lot of public services runs the cat in the tree things. Our department Has come up with a interesting way to bring cats down from trees. we have found since cats don't like getting wet unless they want to get wet.
    Wee use a attach line and shot water above the location where the cat is and when the cat start to get wet they come down by them selves. This way our men do not have to climb the tree. Most of my friends are Fire Fighters as well.
    I am also a Ham Radio operator and a member of a emergency Communications group we provide Communications
    for Public events , And when the means of Police and Fire Communications get over loaded in an an emergency Ham Radio is called to fill the gap. In a lot Of emergencies where a whole area Is cut off from the out side world .
    The ham Radio operators are the first to make contact with the outside world. we in the Ham radio world have a motto
    When all else fails Ham radio. Yes I volunteer

Mebel is offline OWYM AG 29 yrs
    Quote Originally Posted by trolleycar View Post
    Yes I volunteer I have been a Volunteer Fire Fighter for the last 25 years.
    I enjoy being able to help folks. There is a great amount bonding between members of the the Department and me Engine Company .
    The bonding comes from having to trust the other members company with your live then we are on a run.
    Our department does the EMS service In town. So we help the folks when illness strikes as well.
    We also do a lot of public services runs the cat in the tree things. Our department Has come up with a interesting way to bring cats down from trees. we have found since cats don't like getting wet unless they want to get wet.
    Wee use a attach line and shot water above the location where the cat is and when the cat start to get wet they come down by them selves. This way our men do not have to climb the tree. Most of my friends are Fire Fighters as well.
    I am also a Ham Radio operator and a member of a emergency Communications group we provide Communications
    for Public events , And when the means of Police and Fire Communications get over loaded in an an emergency Ham Radio is called to fill the gap. In a lot Of emergencies where a whole area Is cut off from the out side world .
    The ham Radio operators are the first to make contact with the outside world. we in the Ham radio world have a motto
    When all else fails Ham radio. Yes I volunteer
    Very good idea trolleycar! to help cats coming down in that way!
    I was an animal rescue volunteer and drove their ambulance one and half year( this was 8 yrs ago).
    I remember very well how we also sometimes went to rescue cats 'high in trees', yes we managed it every time but only with help from the fire department! Always a lot of folks came watching ofcourse when these fire-men show up with their truck and ladders.
    Thanks for the tip! What a great idea I will remember that for sure!
    Last edited by Mebel; 11-21-2013 at 04:35 PM.

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    I used to saw little blankets for newborns and donate them to the public maternity hospital. I enjoyed it very much.
    I am planning to retire this year and join an organization that offers several volunteering opportunities.
    I also used to prepare free training seminars for colleagues starting their profession.
    I am soooo looking forward to having time to volunteer.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

M&M
    M&M is offline Member
    Yes

I have two dogs who are therapy dogs and go with me to nursing homes, schools, libraries etc helping people with various needs. Been doing it since 07
    SheLikesKitties likes this.