AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MissMuffins
  • 1 Post By Faith

Thread: Honey, I may have overshopped...

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member

Honey, I may have overshopped...

I've been having perhaps a little too much fun doing my holiday shopping at liquidation channel...good place for costume jewelry with semiprecious gems/stones. (Edited to add: some of which are truly awful, which provides me with a completely different level of enjoyment.)

Last night I dreamt about them having a channel with shoes, and a channel with all silver jewelry. In the dream, channel = website. I've never dreamt about shopping before.

This afternoon, I became aware that I need to keep better track of what I've ordered. It seems I liked a couple of things so much, I ordered duplicates. oops.

Some of the things I like about being with my SO are: I can shop for the holidays and not have my posterior handed to me on a platter, and I can "screw up" like this and not get chewed out for it.

Um, yeah, if you read between the lines, you read correctly. Somehow or another, on two separate occasions I would up married to guys who had MAJOR problems with the holidays. One made sure there was rarely any money for holiday meals and gifts (or, if there were gifts and big holiday meals, there wasn't any money for November, December and January bills), and the other had issue with American holiday decorations. They were "over the top." His family's Christmas tree was to go outside and saw a branch--A BRANCH--off of the evergreen in the front yard.

MM
    Last edited by MissMuffins; 11-23-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

oh Faith, Christmas is my weakness. I love everything about it...the tree, the snow, the decorations, the lights, the gifts...

I can aim for (and fall short of) being a green, clean zen machine all the rest of the year but it won't be worthwhile without Christmas.

People can get too caught up in it, feel like the "have" to do it even though they don't enjoy it, etc. I'm all for taking a break from that. One year my eldest son and I decided to observe but not celebrate Christmas. We chose to not decorate the house, not exchange gifts with each other, and not have a holiday meal. We exchanged gifts with those who wouldn't understand our choice, and then "sat out" the day at home with the TV off. We read, watched movies, talked to each other and played 2 player mode on video games.

It was probably the most meaningful Christmas of my life.

MM
    pinkunicorn likes this.
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    I must confess I succumbed a bit today, with the help of the magic Christmas fairies....

I've already done my modest gift shopping, but I had nothing left over for wrap and ribbon. So I used up the remains of wrapping paper from past years (a lovely soft matte metallic gold). Then I bought some 99-cent ribbon from the corner store. But it's junky and looks awful on that pretty paper. Today I wandered into the Container Store to gaze wistfully at all their thousands of rolls of exquisitely pricey ribbons. While there, I also wandered upstairs to watch a shelving demo, and (here's the fairy magic part) when it was over, I was the lucky winner of a $20 gift card just for watching!! So I dashed back to the Christmas section and got 3 rolls of the most beautiful ribbons ever. How about that!
    MissMuffins likes this.
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

Lovey's initial reaction (a facial expression indicating shock) was when the gifts for his daughters, my sister, my mother and my former mother-in-law (my sons' grandmother) arrived and I laid them out to check the order was complete and undamaged. I suspect he may have thought I'd purchased all that for myself.

I just finished laying out the Christmas gifts for my nieces and Lovey's granddaughters. One part of the order was damaged in shipment, but that's an easy fix--let them know & they'll send a replacement. Overall I'm *very* pleased with my choices, and I think they'll be excited and happy to receive them.

The gifts for my father and brother-in-law are either purchased or planned.

Most of the gifts I purchased for my sons just arrived, and I am very happy with those as well. I'm expecting two more packages, and then--except for my gifts to Lovey--my shopping is done. The month before Christmas, I am free to focus on decorating, baking and enjoying the holiday. I'm looking forward to that!

MM