AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By MissMuffins

Thread: I love it when he's in his element

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member

I love it when he's in his element

Yesterday my SO sold some of his "Trees of Life" (the copper wire art he makes while receiving chemo infusions) at a local craft fair. He took 45, sold 28 and traded 3; that's pretty good. He was the only vendor at the fair who had that item which, is also cool.

By way of a heads-up, I told him there'd be a representative from the State Tax Commission who'd circulate through the fair and give each of the vendors a form to complete and enclose when they remit sales tax.

Last night, I asked him if Tax Commission explained how to calculate sales tax, because I don't know. Was it based on gross receipts/total sales or net profit?

He's off like a rocket, speaking his lingo, talking circles around me and I'm looking at him in a daze. It seems that "everybody knows" it's on gross receipts/total sales, because it's a sales tax. And yes, if someone doesn't bother to get the "tax exempt purchase for retail sale" form from the State, then the State does essentially collect sales tax twice on the same item.

In his line of work, that was common knowledge among those members of management who are authorized to make work-related retail purchases. So "everyone" at his level--dept mgr--knows that, even though the kitchen and catering managers were a little above the espresso cart and concessions managers in the pecking order.

Here's what I know about sales tax: when I make a work-related retail purchase in-state, I provide a document that shows my employer is constitutionally exempt (state constitution) from paying state sales tax because we're a federally chartered non profit and our state provides a constitutional exemption from sales tax for those entities. It's called an ST-101. Depending upon the amt of the purchase, an in-state retailer might get one shot at not honoring "my" ST-101 before I don't do business there again. I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts he has no clue what an ST-101 is.

Here's why I'm highly amused about our exchange: it shows he's still got some spunk. That's the first time I've seen that guy I liked enough to put on some lipstick and flirt with, then meet after work in I-don't-know-how-long.

MM
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member
    Any ideas on why I can't get the pix to load to the Ageless server? I uploaded a couple to pinterest & facebook, but I can't get them to my photo album here on Ageless.

Thanks,
    MM
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson