AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RadoG60

Thread: random question

  1. #1
    Harp girl's Avatar
    Harp girl is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    74

    random question

    Hi everyone!

    Here's a random question:

    Background:
    My boyfriend and I are forming a two person group harp / guitar. The web site is almost finished, we've built up three sets of music together BUT we are still working on a name.

    He likes:
    Black sheep and fallen angels.

    I like:
    Black sheep and angels.

    others:
    Winds and Timbers
    Frets and Timbre
    Frets with Strings
    Harp & Frets

    ... and yes, we want some humour in the name.

    Any opinions?

  2. #2
    SheLikesKitties's Avatar
    SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Panama
    Posts
    4,095
    I like Winds and Timbers. But the important part is which one of those names have an available domain? All of them?
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

  3. #3
    RadoG60's Avatar
    RadoG60 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    I also like Winds and Timbers.

    The first thing that popped into my head when I read Black sheep and fallen angels, is it may steer certain people away from your music. While it dosnt bother me, not much does...some people are very sensitive, or religious.
    pinkunicorn likes this.

  4. #4
    Faith's Avatar
    Faith is offline Some assembly required
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Left coast
    Posts
    2,419
    I like Winds and Timbers.
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

  5. #5
    SheLikesKitties's Avatar
    SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Panama
    Posts
    4,095
    Quote Originally Posted by RadoG60 View Post
    The first thing that popped into my head when I read Black sheep and fallen angels, is it may steer certain people away from your music. While it dosnt bother me, not much does...some people are very sensitive, or religious.
    Also Black sheep and Fallen Angels makes it sound like there is a bunch of people in the group when there is only 2.
    Whatever you do, first check on a domain site to see if your name exists on a dot com. You do NOT want to take the name of another band. Also, check if there are similar names and what they do.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

  6. #6
    Harp girl's Avatar
    Harp girl is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    74
    Just to clarify, I have been googling the names and checking domain possibilities on everything.

    Thanks for pointing it out. It's important not to steal another's name.

  7. #7
    SheLikesKitties's Avatar
    SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Panama
    Posts
    4,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Harp girl View Post
    Just to clarify, I have been googling the names and checking domain possibilities on everything.

    Thanks for pointing it out. It's important not to steal another's name.
    I know you would not do it on purpose, in the past, one had to be concerned with names in one's country, now one has to check the whole world. Sometimes unfortunate things happen with names:
    A videogame producer in California shares his company name with one of the vilest racist sites. The only difference is that the videogame company is a dot com, and the racist site is a dot org.
    The videogame producer was established first, but the racist site became more famous (infamous). I bet now that the vg producers wished they had registered all the dots (dot net, dot org, etc.). They had to abandon their dot com. So... once you pick your name, get as many dots as you can.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

  8. #8
    Faith's Avatar
    Faith is offline Some assembly required
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Left coast
    Posts
    2,419
    And take down this thread before somebody else reads it and steals your idea.
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

  9. #9
    MissMuffins's Avatar
    MissMuffins is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,972
    Quote Originally Posted by SheLikesKitties View Post
    I know you would not do it on purpose, in the past, one had to be concerned with names in one's country, now one has to check the whole world. Sometimes unfortunate things happen with names:
    A videogame producer in California shares his company name with one of the vilest racist sites. The only difference is that the videogame company is a dot com, and the racist site is a dot org.
    The videogame producer was established first, but the racist site became more famous (infamous). I bet now that the vg producers wished they had registered all the dots (dot net, dot org, etc.). They had to abandon their dot com. So... once you pick your name, get as many dots as you can.
    While I realize you mean well, there are a couple of reasons why that's not plausible.

    As the available top level domain names ("dot com") decreased, more were created... .org, .net, .gov, .edu, .id, .fr, etc. IANA/ICANN tried to create enough new domains that it won't eventually be necessary to create more new domain names, but there's no guarantee that will never happen. Unless one is able to anticipate what the next round of "dots" will be and when that might occur, a person has to pick from what's available at the time and be happy with that.

    Only for outfits like ebay is it economically feasible to register the .org and redirect to .com, and own the .au, .uk, .fr, et cetera as well.

    In addition, there are rules about who can own what type of top level domain. Ordinary individuals can't register certain domain names, such as .gov, .edu, and .mil.

    I don't know if there is any reliable way to stop domain squatters. Even folks who have international trademark to a name have trouble with domain squatters. It just "is."
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •