AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Ageist commercial on the radio

SummerBob is offline Super Moderator

Ageist commercial on the radio

I'm driving home from work when a commercial comes on with this line: "Did you marry a trophy wife who wants a life insurance policy three times bigger than your last two mistakes? If so, we have insurance to meet all your needs. Call Big Lou's to set up an appointment".

In this age of sensitivity you'd think people would have more tact.
    Last edited by SummerBob; 07-01-2014 at 12:02 PM.
    Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet."

theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerBob View Post
    I'm driving home from work when a commercial comes on with this line: "Did you marry a trophy wife who wants a life insurance policy three times bigger than your last two mistakes? If so, we have insurance to meet all your needs. Call Big Lou's to set up an appointment".

In this age of sensitivity you'd think people would have more tact.
    I understand what you're saying, Summerbob. But, much advertising is not known for tact. Obviously, the person who wrote that copy thought it was funny. And, if the company name is really "Big Lou's" that doesn't seem like a place where most thinking people would want to buy insurance. It sounds more like a sheisty used car dealer.

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Yeah, it is ageist and sexist. But if you tell this to Big Lou, the steps he will take to correct this, is to make a new commercial and play them both alternating them:

"Did you marry a boy toy who wants a life insurance policy three times bigger than your last two mistakes? If so, we have insurance to meet all your needs. Call Big Lou's to set up an appointment".
    theREALTrish likes this.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

gorillagirl Guest
    my 79 year old father has been married 5 times, widowed once, and is about to marry a gold digging psycho....so, i find it humorous and not at all offensive.
    theREALTrish, soul and RadoG60 like this.

Would you find it humorous and not offensive if it was "toyboy" instead of "trophy wife"?
    Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet."

Would you find it humorous and not offensive if it was "toyboy" instead of "trophy wife"?
    I would find it equally offensive, that's the joke, equal opportunity insult.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

I'm all for a little humor and taking things in stride as long as it's across the board.

My only point is that there's so much political correctness these days that if we're going walk on egg shells for some people, we should do it for everybody or not at all.

If that joke was about someone's race, gender or sexual orientation (for same sex partners), then it would have created an outrage. But they can joke about this and it's fine?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    SheLikesKitties likes this.

soul is offline Senior Member
    I'm all for a little humor and taking things in stride as long as it's across the board.

My only point is that there's so much political correctness these days that if we're going walk on egg shells for some people, we should do it for everybody or not at all.

If that joke was about someone's race, gender or sexual orientation (for same sex partners), then it would have created an outrage. But they can joke about this and it's fine?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I personally don't think they should stop making jokes about age gaps. But I am for equality. I'd like it if everyone wasn't so anal and uptight about race, gender and sexual orientation jokes across the board.
    SheLikesKitties and SummerBob like this.

fiorinda is offline Senior Member
    I think it's very poor taste and quite possibly not a very good advert for the company, it certainly wouldn't inspire me to use them! I can't see how it is ageist though, as a 'trophy wife' can just as easily be the same age as her husband. It IS sexist, and I do think that the flip-side of it would be very unlikely to be aired (and would of course also be ageist as there is the sexist assumption there as well that a woman can't be successful and wealthy in her youth, or a mature man wouldn't possibly be involved with a woman who earnt more than him, because that would just not be very manly!).

I generally don't find sexist (or racist or homophobic) jokes funny unless they are also very clever (much like most jokes really) - which few are. I'd be more than happy never to hear another one, and happier still if that was because people didn't actually think it was accaptable to make jokes about them in the first place. I don't think it's anal to be offended by someone making fun of/maligning the race, gender or sexual orientation one belongs to/identifies with - or even the race, gender or sexual orientation other people belong to/identify with. It's not 'political correctness gone mad', it's common decency and respect, IMO. There are so many people making hilarious jokes and stories out of other aspects of life, it's really not necessary to reinforce stereotypes or encourage derision and disdain through humour.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"I generally don't find sexist (or racist or homophobic) jokes funny unless they are also very clever "

It's interesting that you voice at length such a distain of this type of humor, yet you seem to find it acceptable to laugh at and find funny if it's clever. How does that work actually ?

I'm by no means condoning genuine racism or sexism or homophobia or any victimisation for that matter. I'm saying there's a happy medium to be met, where some humor should be accepted for what it is, a little rib tiggling with no ill intent meant and without everyone jumping on a bandwagon and getting hysterical.

Some jokes are clever, but some depend on being offensive (shock value) to elicit laughter.
    Remeber there was a time when dead baby jokes were common.

The end result is the same though is it not ? The delivery might be different, but being cleverly worded doesn't exclude it from being offensive. The end meaning is the same, which is to find humor in something sexest, homophobic or racist.

Although what is offensive is moot as everyone has their own idea of what that means to them.
    theREALTrish likes this.

There is a such a thing as light humor, but there is a tipping point.

I remember a commercial in the '90s that mocked a child with Down's syndrome. It was for a toy that could throw a ball back. It started out with a boy trying to play catch with a disabled child who couldn't throw the ball back, then a voice said, "substitution!", and the toy was substituted. It was one of the poorest attempts at humor I've ever seen, and I can't believe something like that actually aired on network TV.

There is a such a thing as light humor, but there is a tipping point.

I remember a commercial in the '90s that mocked a child with Down's syndrome. It was for a toy that could throw a ball back. It started out with a boy trying to play catch with a disabled child who couldn't throw the ball back, then a voice said, "substitution!", and the toy was substituted. It was one of the poorest attempts at humor I've ever seen, and I can't believe something like that actually aired on network TV.
    Wow, that's just horrible. That would have been a lawsuit today.

fiorinda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soul View Post
    "I generally don't find sexist (or racist or homophobic) jokes funny unless they are also very clever "

It's interesting that you voice at length such a distain of this type of humor, yet you seem to find it acceptable to laugh at and find funny if it's clever. How does that work actually ?
    Sorry, did I say I thought it was acceptable? If I did, it was a mistake (though I don't think I did). However, clever word-plays often amuse me, as do jokes that are clever in their construction, or unexpected, and I might be amused despite myself. I don't think I can recall that happening with a racist or homophobic joke, but, to my shame, I do sometimes find myself amused despite myself by cleverly constructed sexist jokes. Really, only occasionally though. Most of them are far too lame!

Quote Originally Posted by soul View Post
    I'm by no means condoning genuine racism or sexism or homophobia or any victimisation for that matter. I'm saying there's a happy medium to be met, where some humor should be accepted for what it is, a little rib tiggling with no ill intent meant and without everyone jumping on a bandwagon and getting hysterical.
    I don't think anyone really ought to have the right to tell people what they should accept in terms of humour, particularly people from groups who suffer daily personal and institutionalised discrimination which I can't even begin to relate to. Calling it hysteria when people become offended at jokes that ridicule them rather diminishes their genuine hurt and offence, don't you think? Whether a person is gay or straight or Bi or trans, black, Asian, caucasian, any other ethnicity, if they are a Christian or a Muslim or a Hindu or a Buddhist or a Pagan or an Atheist. For everyone there is probably something that is important to who they are, perhaps something they couldn't change even if they wanted to, and that it would offend them to have the piss taken out of them for, no matter how 'gentle' or 'good natured' the perpetrator might consider it to be. I personally have little time or love for organised religion, but I wouldn't want to offend someone who was devout by making jokes about their religion that made them feel upset or uncomfortable.

I can't imagine that ad getting shown on British TV, even in the 90s, Summerbob! That's just appalling!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast