AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By marklogan51
  • 2 Post By Slow Worm
  • 3 Post By SheLikesKitties
  • 1 Post By SheLikesKitties
  • 1 Post By theREALTrish
  • 1 Post By SummerBob

Thread: Poor English on the Inernet

SummerBob is offline Super Moderator

Poor English on the Inernet

I know this is not related to age gaps, but I'm not a member of that many forums anymore and I feel the need to vent about this topic somewhere.

Is anyone else tired of going to forums and comment sections at the end of articles or YouTube videos, and trying to read text that is barely understandable?

It's particularly frustrating when I'm trying to research technical information related to work.

I'm not saying my English is perfect, but I at least make an effort to make my comments readable. There are a basic few rules that everyone should at least try to follow: 1) Capitalize the first letter of the first word of a sentence. 2) Capitalize names and the first person pronoun "I". 3) Separate thoughts into coherent sentences. 4) Try to use your spell checker. It's not rocket science.

It's sad to say that most Internet commentary left by the general public would probably fail if it were handed in as a 6th grade English paper.
    Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet."

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP

Poor Spanish on the Internet

I do not know if this happens for other languages too, but Spanish is being murdered left and right on the internet too. Luckily for me, the one other forum where I post is my local newspaper forum and people who use poor grammar or spelling are immediately made fun of. This has even improved the quality (substance) of the posts too.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

marklogan51 is offline Member

I understand but lets not be too hasty

Yes it is frustrating when you read a sentence that is not correct. However, I have done this myself by mistake. Lets not discouraged anyone who might try to give an opinion on our subject Younger women Older men. I prefer to read from writers who have this relationship. or those who have interest in this friendship.

Mark
    SheLikesKitties likes this.

NY10 is offline Senior Member
    It's very frustrating, I usually just skip those posts because they make no sense to me and try and find something else I can get information from.

By the way, I was not referring to posts on Ageless when I wrote my comment. In fact, this forum has some of the most well-written posts I've seen anywhere on the web. In general, people here are very articulate and well spoken.

I was referring more to other forums, comments at the bottom of news articles and comments on YouTube videos (which are some of the worst I've seen!).

In fairness to people in other countries I realize that English is probably a second language for them. They will naturally have a harder time expressing themselves in English. I encounter this a lot in programming forums, where you get a lot of input from people in Europe and Asia. I would only point out that, if you attempt to communicate in a language that is not your own, at least try to make your best effort to express yourself properly in that language. There are tools and resources available to help people do that.
    Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet."

Slow Worm is offline Senior Member
    I thought of this thread just now having read in a student's work that:

"stress causes white tarts to decline and lose immunity"

In context, it appears to be a reference to white blood cell counts being low in some long-term stress victims, compromising their immune systems. I cannot imagine how 'cells' got converted into 'tarts'.

SW
    degausser and MissMuffins like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Worm View Post
    I thought of this thread just now having read in a student's work that:

"stress causes white tarts to decline and lose immunity"

In context, it appears to be a reference to white blood cell counts being low in some long-term stress victims, compromising their immune systems. I cannot imagine how 'cells' got converted into 'tarts'.

SW
    I wonder if this is caused by people using Google Translate instead of a human translator.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

I was searching YouTube for the Windows XP install theme with the sound effects that go with it. A lot of places have the song itself, but not with the sound effects.

So, I was browsing the comments in one video when I encountered a whole paragraph with about four or five separate thoughts strung together into one single sentence. There was no punctuation or capitalization. From his picture he was clearly an American adult, so there was no language barrier and he wasn't a little kid.

That's when I posted this thread.

Not saying this was your case, but in my personal case, when I email or post from my cellphone, specially in Spanish, I sometimes fail to use the accent (tilde), or maybe I do not use the opening question character (), or worse yet the ee (), simply because they are not in the basic touch screen keyboard that pops up when you have to complete a field.

The one time I make sure I use the character is when I write "year" = "ao", because if I do not use the , I am spelling "ano" (annus), which could give a totally different meaning to a "Happy New Year" greeting.

One thing that's become common on the Internet is what I call "Internet-speak". It's the whole "R U 4 me" lingo. You never saw people write like that before "online" existed.

The one I hate is <3 to represent "love". It looks too much like Algebra to me.
    Mebel likes this.

theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ukfireball View Post
    I was taught from a young age at school, not to start sentences with 'and', but I see it frequently online. However, a quick search online prominent language websites are showing, there is no reason why you can't start sentences with a conjunction.

And so I will have to change my opinion about this.
    I know exactly what you're saying. I commit grammatical errors that I know are wrong, and starting a sentence with the word "and" is one of them. I would never write a formal paper that way, but, when I'm writing an email, or an online post, I write them more the way I speak in a conversation with someone. I, also, string thoughts together using several periods. That would never be acceptable in an educational, or business, setting.
    ukfireball likes this.

Slow Worm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerBob View Post
    One thing that's become common on the Internet is what I call "Internet-speak". It's the whole "R U 4 me" lingo. You never saw people write like that before "online" existed.
    I didn't see it, being too young to have ever received a telegram, but I gather such contractions and portmanteau words were common in them. (E.g. adding the prefix 'un' where it did not belong, as in the probably fictitious warning to the tardy journalist 'unnews unjob').

SW

Actually, I'm a pretty old guy but even I'm too young to remember telegrams.

I was referring to letters, newspaper text, columns that people wrote to (such as advice columns) and the like. The English was always polished with little or no slang, and you never saw anything like (r u 4 me).

Today everyone's a publisher. If you can type, you can "publish" it, and people around the world who don't even speak English are writing (or attempting to).

Back then the only people who had their writing "published" were those lucky enough to have their newspaper editorials or responses to advice columns printed.
    SheLikesKitties likes this.