AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By theREALTrish
  • 1 Post By MissMuffins
  • 1 Post By SummerBob

Thread: Lame episode of Big Bang Theory

SummerBob is offline Super Moderator

Lame episode of Big Bang Theory

We watch Big Bang Theory and I love some episodes, but other episodes have a stupid story line.

One episode in particular had Bob Newhart as a side character. He played an old retired show host (I think) who dabbled in physics and wrote a paper that he wanted Leonard to evaluate. Sheldon got beside himself because he felt he deserved to evaluate the paper. Apparently he had some kind of relationship with this old man (and man!!!! has Bob Newhart aged! It's depressing to see him!!).

In the last scene Newhart's character saw penny and ran back into the apartment to visit with them, apparently to ask her if she has an available grandmother. Pleeeze!!!!
    Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet."

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    I've watched that episode. Why do you think it's particularly lame?
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

I used to enjoy Bob Newhart's characters in his '70s and '80s sitcoms, and I thought he wasn't anything like himself in that show. His lines were not funny at all.

In the scene at the end, if it's so inappropriate for a man his age to "lust after" Penny, then why react to her at all? Instead he practically chases her into the apartment like he's going to hit on her, and then asks if she has a grandmother, like --- what? --- her grandmother is going to look like her? Sorry, not funny!

Also, I had a cooling off to Newhart later on. When he had his second sitcom, the one where they own a Bed and Breakfast in New England, his wife on the show was rumored to have much younger lovers. According to articles I read, Newhart expressed that he was "embarrassed" that his co-star was "hitting on" guys that where 26 when she was 40-whatever she was. It turned me off to him.
    Last edited by SummerBob; 12-31-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet."

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    I think it was a "I want you but I know I can't have you, so I will settle for what's within my league".

I don't blame him, it takes a lot of courage and self-confidence to hit on a way much younger person, if he knows he does not have it, why even try.

Still, why critizise those who do have the self-confidence to make it work?
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

Perhaps that's true, but as a comic line it didn't work for me.

Part of it is just that I remember Newhart from the '70s (I know... I'm dating myself!!). It was depressing to see how old he is compared to how I remember him from his shows. Seeing that is yet another chapter in my own age and mortality!

theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    I watch Big Bang Theory and I like it. But, more often than not, the plot is lame. It's a group of friends who are likable, albeit, eccentric characters. It's not written to make any commentary on any aspect of society. It's light comedy.....nothing more and nothing less.Taking it seriously is a little pointless.
    SheLikesKitties likes this.

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member
    As one who is a bit of a geek myself, I quite enjoy Big Bang Theory and watch it often. I've seen the episode in question several times; while I follow your interpretation of that part of the plot, I didn't read it that way myself.

I enjoy Bob Newhart's character in BBT, Professor Proton/Arthur Jeffries, far more than I did his character in Newhart (the sitcom in which he played the owner of the bed & breakfast). Other than having seen a few episodes and being aware that his character was a marriage counselor, I'm not familiar with The Bob Newhart Show or the series from which it spun off (The Mary Tyler Moore Show?), as my mother did not permit us to watch those programs. I didn't like Newhart at all, and actually gained my appreciation of Bob Newhart as an actor through his cameo appearances on BBT.

I saw it as a jab at the dirty old man mindset. A man of any age should be free to appreciate an attractive woman of any age, without people assuming he wants to "tap some of that".

I saw his character's comment about the single grandmother as a parody of the "have you got a sister" comment made among peer aged people, and as an affirmation that seniors are sexual beings, too.

To me, the Professor Proton/Arthur Jeffries character is a clever way of presenting the idea that actors are human beings rather than the characters they portray, and that they can be very different from those characters.

As a general rule, BBT isn't a show I look to for social commentary, thought provoking plots, etc. I see it more as "mind candy".

MM
    theREALTrish likes this.
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

It's actually very similar to Seinfeld in a lot of ways. I like most episodes, but sometimes the humor is lame. It's one of the few modern sitcoms I actually enjoy most of the time. The characters make the difference.
    MissMuffins likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MissMuffins View Post
    As one who is a bit of a geek myself, I quite enjoy Big Bang Theory and watch it often. I've seen the episode in question several times; while I follow your interpretation of that part of the plot, I didn't read it that way myself.

I enjoy Bob Newhart's character in BBT, Professor Proton/Arthur Jeffries, far more than I did his character in Newhart (the sitcom in which he played the owner of the bed & breakfast). Other than having seen a few episodes and being aware that his character was a marriage counselor, I'm not familiar with The Bob Newhart Show or the series from which it spun off (The Mary Tyler Moore Show?), as my mother did not permit us to watch those programs. I didn't like Newhart at all, and actually gained my appreciation of Bob Newhart as an actor through his cameo appearances on BBT.

I saw it as a jab at the dirty old man mindset. A man of any age should be free to appreciate an attractive woman of any age, without people assuming he wants to "tap some of that".

I saw his character's comment about the single grandmother as a parody of the "have you got a sister" comment made among peer aged people, and as an affirmation that seniors are sexual beings, too.

To me, the Professor Proton/Arthur Jeffries character is a clever way of presenting the idea that actors are human beings rather than the characters they portray, and that they can be very different from those characters.

As a general rule, BBT isn't a show I look to for social commentary, thought provoking plots, etc. I see it more as "mind candy".

MM
    Actually, he didn't play a marriage counselor in his original sitcom, he played a psychiatrist. One of his patients was the typical "loony" you might see in therapy which added to the show's humor. It didn't actually spin off from the Mary Tyler Moore show, it was its own original series.

I saw only one episode of the "Newhart" show with the bed & breakfast which I thought was hilarious, but other than that I never watched the show. It was news stories about his reaction to his co-star's relationships with younger men that turned me off, not the show itself.

A man of any age should be free to appreciate a woman of any age without people assuming he wants to "tap some of that", true. However, a man of any age should also be free to express attraction to a woman of any age as well.

It reminds me of something that happened on our local 6 a.m. news. Brad Bell, a news veteran who's been around since the 80s, was substituting for our regular anchor. We have this thing called "Good Morning Washington" where a person or group give a shout-out for their organization or cause. Jessica Alba did the shout-out that morning, to which Brad proclaimed, "I wish she was here!" He then got all red-faced, threw his hands up and said, "I didn't mean anything by that.". I was on the floor! Really??? Then why did you say it? Opppsss!!

What made that so funny was the very reason why the Newhart line was supposed to be funny. We have this social stigma that "old people" are somehow "not allowed" to be attracted to young beautiful people. The news event was an obvious blooper which I found hilarious. The Newhart line was a lame attempt to jab at it.

You're right about it being "mind candy". I see the show as a modern incarnation of "Seinfeld".
    Last edited by SummerBob; 06-06-2015 at 05:40 AM.

Corsair is offline Neophyte
    Newhart's character spends a lot of time fawning over Penny in the episodes he was in. I just took it as an older man who liked being around a pretty woman.

The show itself has become rather lame though especially the most recent season, used to make me LOL quite frequently now I can go a whole episode and barely smirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    Newhart's character spends a lot of time fawning over Penny in the episodes he was in.
    Yup. They have to disguise it, though... we can't have an old goat like him hitting on a girl like Penny, now can we?

Funny thing is, in the old I Love Lucy episodes, Fred Mertz was no spring chicken himself. When a pretty girl walked into the room his was the first head that turned! In one of my favorite episodes, Lucy concocts a scheme where they get stranded on a boat in the ocean so Fred and Ricky have to miss a beauty contest and photo shoot with the contestants, two of whom are their "dates". They land on an island only to meet those very same girls. Fred and Ricky walk away arm-in-arm with the girls, and Ricky says, "Hey, you were right. Everything worked out just right after all!". Now THAT was humor!