AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JaneEyreBronte
  • 1 Post By Slow Worm
  • 1 Post By JaneEyreBronte

Thread: Older Men/Younger Women in Books and Film

JaneEyreBronte is offline Neophyte

Older Men/Younger Women in Books and Film

Does anyone have a particular book or film they recommend involving an older man and younger woman in a May December romance?

I recommend:

"The Surprise of His Life" by Karen Keast. There is about a 24 year gap between the hero and heroine and it takes place in a modern setting. (book)

"Sabrina" with Humphrey Bogart and Audrey Hepburn. There is a 20+ years age gap between the man and woman. (film)

"Love in the Afternoon" with Gary Cooper and Audrey Hepburn. There is a 20+ age gap between the man and woman. (film)
    Shayshasha likes this.

Slow Worm is offline Senior Member
    Colonel Brandon and Marianne Dashwood, 35 and 16 at the start of the text, in Jane Austin's 'Sense and Sensibility'.

(However, as such age gaps were common in Austin's period and social circle, the novel makes virtually no reference to it, apart from Marianne's early speculations, when her sister first suggests that Brandon is attracted to her, that at 35 he is too old to have any romantic feelings).

Sw

Jo March and the professor in 'Little Women'.

SW
    gnothiseauton likes this.

JaneEyreBronte is offline Neophyte

Books and Films

Yes, the classics definitely have some May/December couplings that end up in marriage. I love Jane Eyre as another one. On another note, age gap relationships were so much more accepted and common in past decades and centuries. It's amazing that President Grover Cleveland was 49 when he married 21 year old Frances Folsom. President John Tyler was in his 50s and his new wife was in her 20s.
    SummerBob likes this.

Circles is offline Neophyte
    The lead couple in Another Earth. The tragedy that kickstarts the story affects them in very different ways, and one aspect of that comes from the age gap: he lost his family, whereas she lost her future. The way they bond over their common sense of loss makes for a very poignant story.

SummerBob is offline Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneEyreBronte View Post
    Yes, the classics definitely have some May/December couplings that end up in marriage. I love Jane Eyre as another one. On another note, age gap relationships were so much more accepted and common in past decades and centuries. It's amazing that President Grover Cleveland was 49 when he married 21 year old Frances Folsom. President John Tyler was in his 50s and his new wife was in her 20s.
    Wow! You took the words right out of my mouth. I've made this point in several posts in this forum, and on other forums. I learned of both of those presidents from my World Almanac and Book of Facts one day when I was just leafing through it just to read it.

What's interesting is that, while age gaps were more accepted and common in the 18th/19th centuries, we hit a low sometime in the late 20th century. Someone has made the point that age-gaps are becoming more accepted recently, which may be one of the reasons for lessened activity on this forum.

I was a young adult in the 1980s and I saw it hit a low then. (Since this is really a thread about AGRs in books and films, I'll save my rant about the 1980s for another post).

Ironically, when people started getting online I was afraid it would increase intolerance as it would spread our culture around the world. In reality it had the opposite effect.
    Last edited by SummerBob; 04-23-2016 at 09:09 AM.
    Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet."

Quote Originally Posted by JaneEyreBronte View Post
    It's amazing that President Grover Cleveland was 49 when he married 21 year old Frances Folsom. President John Tyler was in his 50s and his new wife was in her 20s.
    Is it amazing? I'd thought OM/YW marriages with that sort of gap were fairly commonplace in the 19th cent. (E.g. as above, Austin made no issue out of Colonel Brandon and Marianne Dashwood's ages, and neither did her contemporary readers in 1811).

This side of the Atlantic today, Jeremy Corbin, the Labour Party leader and potentially next Prime Minister, is 20 years older than his wife but it hardly merits a mention in the press.

SW

We may have our own version of that if Donald Trump wins, which is a distinct possibility. (not to get into a political discussion here).

He was 58 when he married his current wife who was 34.
    Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet."

I think the Sound of Music actually had an AGR couple, if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong, I'll have to read up on it.

whiterose is offline Administrator
    I believe you are correct in that Maria von Trapp was younger than her husband.