AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By truckman
  • 1 Post By kilny

Thread: Joe Kenda

SummerBob is offline Super Moderator

Joe Kenda

I don't know how many of you watch the ID channel. We used to watch it quite a bit.

Joe Kenda is the "Homicide Hunter". He was doing an investigation on an early 30ish family man who was brutally murdered, and the last person seen with him was his 23-year female old co-worker who had blood on her after the crime. He had this to say, "I find it disturbing that this 23-year old girl was hanging out with a married man 8 years older than her".

Now, I understand about the "married" part. I get that. But why did he then say "8 years older"? Really?? Than a 23-year old?? Disturbing?? He should go back to the 1980s!

He's made comments like that before. That's why, when he comes on, I just switch to the Science channel and watch How the Universe Works or something like that.

Pleeeeeze!!!!
    Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet."

Slow Worm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerBob View Post
    ... Joe Kenda is the "Homicide Hunter". He was doing an investigation on an early 30ish family man who was brutally murdered, and the last person seen with him was his 23-year female old co-worker who had blood on her after the crime. He had this to say, "I find it disturbing that this 23-year old girl was hanging out with a married man 8 years older than her".

Now, I understand about the "married" part. I get that. But why did he then say "8 years older"? Really?? Than a 23-year old?? Disturbing?? He should go back to the 1980s!
    Irritating, but if he is a fictional detective, are extraneous opinions like that scripted to give the character personality quirks, like Kojak's lollipops?

Why the 80's? I don't recall particular hostility to OM/YW AGR's then: in fact I was in a 27-yr gap OW/YM relationship in 1984 - 1990 and didn't encounter hostile responses. Similarly my father-in-law and mother-in-law (married 1949) had a 10-yr gap and AFAIK never found anyone surprised let alone hostile. However that may be peculiar to England.

He's made comments like that before. That's why, when he comes on, I just switch to the Science channel and watch How the Universe Works or something like that.
    Demonstrating why it is best to avoid scripting plot-irrelevant items likely to annoy the viewer. Content like that is unlikely to gain any extra viewers and as you show has lost at least one.

SW

I only said 1980s because I remember how vicious tabloids were at attacking AGR celebrity couples back then. They had a hate-on for Charles and Di. I had my normal motorcycle route from the grocery store to the bar, which I needed after reading some of the crap!

Maybe I should have said 1950s?
    Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet."

Slow Worm is offline Senior Member
    I only said 1980s because I remember how vicious tabloids were at attacking AGR celebrity couples back then. They had a hate-on for Charles and Di.
    Must be a cultural difference. I don't recall any papers here making any comment about their age gap - personally I'd not thought of them as having one, but looking it up now I see it was 13 years. Over here the tabloids were making a great fuss over how brilliant they were.

ISTR conservative commentators here taking issue with the tabloids undignified exaltation over the 1981 royal wedding and describing it as "American-style excess": somewhat ironic if US tabloids were in fact criticising the couple at the time.

SW

Not so much that criticized them as made-up stories about their marriage being in trouble long before it was. Also, most of the negative press about them started in the mid to late 80s.

But other age gaps were fiercely scandalized, stories that I don't even remember in particular. Remember also that the '80s was the decade of all those televangelist sex scandals (Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggert, etc.), which added fuel to the fire.

I don't read tabloids anymore, but when I occasionally notice the headlines these days the stories are too ridiculous to be taken seriously anymore.
    Last edited by SummerBob; 10-08-2015 at 07:42 AM.

truckman Guest
    I don't read tabloids anymore, but when I occasionally notice the headlines these days the stories are too ridiculous to be taken seriously anymore.
    What? These headlines don't grab you anymore? (grin)

kilny and SummerBob like this.

kilny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by truckman View Post
    What? These headlines don't grab you anymore? (grin)

I'm always mystified when I see people buying these. Also a bit frightened that people actually read and believe anything in theses.
    Angel likes this.
    Life is short, Live it with all your heart, love and passion.

Today you don't have to read tabloids. Just read the Internet!

truckman Guest
    Today you don't have to read tabloids. Just read the Internet!
    Ain't that the truth!

Weekly World (the mag I pasted above) was a work of fiction and intended to be that way. The others used truth as the foundation of their articles and they embellished a little or a lot depending on which mag they are.

My son's mother used to subscribe to several of them. She found them amusing enough to enjoy them as a distraction from the usual life stresses. I didn't "get it" per se but I can appreciate the desire for a distraction to unwind and take one's mind of a tough day at work or whatever the case may be.

People say exaggeration is a tool to ward off fears. Psychologists use it all the time.

So, for example, if you're afraid of things like the NSA or Patriot Act, and you read a tabloid article about a monster-looking guy who's memorized every name and number in the Phone Book, you can laugh at it and forget your fears.

That is part of the appeal of tabloids.

The type is kind of small, but is the date on that first one is 2003? Wow. Somebody must stockpile these things!

It has to be somewhat dated at least, because Jay's not on the Tonight Show anymore.
    Last edited by SummerBob; 03-06-2016 at 12:36 PM.

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    My parents married in the mid 1950s with an 11 yr OM/YM relationship. It was not a huge problem.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

Some people on this site have said that age gap acceptance has increased notably, even since 2004. I don't have the reference right now and this web site is too slow to look for it.

I think a lot depends on personal experience and perception. There are also likely variations based on geographic location. Without a quantitative survey there is no way of knowing for sure how these relationships have varied in acceptance over the years. Each case is individual. Each case taints one's view of the time and place where they experience it.

From my own experience as a young man in the '80s, people used to ride me all the time about "liking younger girls", and I was only 24 - 30 then. The "younger girls" I liked weren't that much younger than me, all were over 18. I would sometimes project into the future with a "what if" attitude about wanting to date an x-year old when I'm y-years old, and I often got a "heaven forbid!" attitude from people. So that also taints my feelings about the "1980s". For me it was a decade that totally sucked!! And it's partly why I had this age problem to begin with.

But I can see from watching people like Joe Kenda, that at least for some people, nothing's changed!