AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Why is this drug still legal?

catlover is offline Senior Member

Angry Why is this drug still legal?

That's right, I'm talking about tobacco....And I'm going to list the misery tobacco has brought to my life.

1) I already posted about my cat

2) My ex (who I am insuring as he has no health insurance, or job for that matter) has, in the past 3 months, required $90,000 (thats right, 90 thousand, not nineteen, not nine) in health care--and plenty more still to come to repair the damage done by close to 50 years of smoking. Leaking aorta, emphysema, a fibrous mass near the kidneys. It will probably be close to a QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS by the time he is done.

3) My mother died in 2004 from COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Emphysema, brittle bones, and any number of other problems. She weighed about 53 pounds when she died. Number of years smoking? about 35. Even tho she quit at 50, the damage was long since done.

4) My father died in 2002 when his aorta essentially exploded. He didn't died quickly. The medical profession, in spite of his living will, kept him alive for 2 weeks until they tested for brain activity, and found pretty much none. They then gave my mother-who by that time weighed about 60 pounds and was on oxygen 24/7-one day ONE DAY to move him out of the hospital and into a hospice. He lingered for one more week. I talked to him on the phone during that time. He just grunted and moaned. The nurse said he was quite excited. This is a man who regularly corresponded with the last Boer president of South Africa about racism in the United States, who escaped from Iran on one of the last planes out when the Shah was overthrown, who traveled the world. He died at 79, after having smoked for 65 years.

4) other thoughts. For years I did not experience a Christmas that didn't involve the smokers all spending it outside, away from the family, away from the tree. My son's hamster, M C Hamster, died with a tumor growing on his side after living in the ex-s smoking room. My brother and I, who grew up in a house where both our parents smoked constantly, indoors, with windows closed, suffer from repeat pulmonary disorders and weaknesses.

Marijuana is still illegal. Mothers Against Drunk Driving is a powerful group and in some cases the courts treat a person who kills someone under the influence of alcohol as a murderer. Why, oh why, is this drug still legal?

BellaLove Guest
    Tell me about it! I am amazed that tobacco, something that has killed MILLIONS is legal; and marijuana, something that doesn't kill, is illegal. It's all mixed up!

TrueHeart Guest
    Taking away everyone's freedom of choice because some people abuse a substance is not the answer.

I DESPISE being around someone who smokes. It's sickens and disgusts me. It's hard for me to imagine many things stupider than smoking.

But, so long as they do it without exposing others to the smoke -- on that point I agree it must not be permitted -- it is their choice to do so.

The hazards of smoking are well known and anyone who smokes bears 100% of the responsibility for the consequences.
    Pickles and christina923 like this.

BellaLove Guest
    Ya, it's true....we should have the freedom of choice.....where's my joint?!
    I don't think smoking tobacco should be made illegal, it's just interesting to think that something that kills is kept legal and other things are made illegal and they aren't half as bad.
    And we are exposed to cigarrette smoke alllll the time. You don't have to be right in front of the person who's smoking for it to effect you. I hate the smell and the way it makes my eyes turn red and itchy.....

unfortunately, even if you smoke all by yourself and expose no one else to it, everyone else DOES suffer.

By the time my dad was dead, he has a hospital bill of over A QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS. Of course, insurace and medicare paid it, but WHERE DO YOU THINK THE MONEY FOR MEDICARE AND INSURANCE CAME FROM.

Thats right, right out of your paychecks....

Gee, freedom of choice. It isn't about choice people, its about tobacco companies, and the power they wield.

Tobacco is much more addictive than heroin--why don't we legalize that--after all, the junkie is the one who suffers, dies, etc.

Dale H Guest
    First let me say I have read your post and am sorry to hear about your cat. I used to hate cats but that changed when I was very sick at home one time and my step daughters cat became my pal. I really missed him when he died. You can not say with certainty however that your cats cancer was from the smoke.

I used to work at a nursing home and could tell you horror stories about its effects. One guy smoked through a hole in his throat was so addicted. I never smoked,did drugs or alcohol and would not date a woman who smoked as I find it annoying.

Having said all this,now to your question. It is not illegal because we live in a free country where adults can make decisions for themselves. Prohibition against alcohol only lead to opportunity for crime and gangsterism. Making tobacco illegal would have similar results. Drugs are illegal and readily available on street corners in most every city. Gangs,violence and crime follow. Usually smokers do not mug old ladies or rob stores to buy cigarette but they do to buy crack and heroin. The former is legal cheap and available while the latter is illegal and relatively expensive. If it were up to me I would legally dispense drugs to addicts in a controlled fashion as well as make treatment available.

The other reason cigarettes and such are not banned is because they are cash cows for the government. States are very reluctant to give up any source of revenue. I agree with much of what you write but prohibition is not an answer. As a country we have been there and done that. And where would prohibition stop? Animal rights people and even the government may ban McDonalds selling meat because it clogs arteries and is inhumane. One persons vice is another ones pleasure. Hopefully we will remain a free society where we can make choices,even if they are perceived by others is being the wrong ones.

Dale

TrueHeart Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by catlover
    unfortunately, even if you smoke all by yourself and expose no one else to it, everyone else DOES suffer.

By the time my dad was dead, he has a hospital bill of over A QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS. Of course, insurace and medicare paid it, but WHERE DO YOU THINK THE MONEY FOR MEDICARE AND INSURANCE CAME FROM.

Thats right, right out of your paychecks....

Gee, freedom of choice. It isn't about choice people, its about tobacco companies, and the power they wield.

Tobacco is much more addictive than heroin--why don't we legalize that--after all, the junkie is the one who suffers, dies, etc.
    Unfortunately you can make the same argument about almost anything hazardous; like driving a car; or skydiving. Does that mean those activities should be illegal?

Taxpayers get stuck paying for way too **** many things in the end. It sucks, but it's not because cigarettes are legal, it's becuause our government doesn't have any respect for taxpayer's money and spends way too much of it.

Maybe to buy a pack of cigarettes you should be required to sign a statement saying that if you get sick and can't afford treatment that no one is responsible for your medical care and you will just be left to die.

PS: I am 100% for legalizing marijuana (and heroin too).

BellaLove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueHeart
    Maybe to buy a pack of cigarettes you should be required to sign a statement saying that if you get sick and can't afford treatment that no one is responsible for your medical care and you will just be left to die.

Wow!! We actually agree on something!! LOL

TrueHeart Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaLove
    Wow!! We actually agree on something!! LOL
    Make note of this date!

BlueMoonGypsy is offline Beliving in dreams
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueHeart
    Unfortunately you can make the same argument about almost anything hazardous; like driving a car; or skydiving. Does that mean those activities should be illegal?

Taxpayers get stuck paying for way too **** many things in the end. It sucks, but it's not because cigarettes are legal, it's becuause our government doesn't have any respect for taxpayer's money and spends way too much of it.

I agree with you, TrueHeart! Hmmmm it seems lately I agree with a lot of what you have said. Should I be concerned? LOL Anyway, I used to smoke many MANY years ago but quit. I think your idea about signing a waiver is great. I agree about marijuana, although heroin I'd have to think about. =\ This thread is interesting to me as well since I don't see any smokers weighing in. lol

J.

well, i posted this at another site that will remain nameless (but I'm sure some of you know which one)--and I received no end of flak about how its their right, etc.

One very charming (hah) person felt that the appropriate response to my description of my parents and pets death WAS A PICTURE OF A VIOLIN

I thank all of you for letting me say my piece, not being jerks about it. My statements came from unbearable grief. I was able to function when my parents died because of my cat, who is now dead. I now grieve for all of them.

And now I grieve over a world where people who do things like post the violin are applauded on a public forum

Thank you ageless community for kindness and good manners

TrueHeart Guest
    catlover ...

I am sincere in my heartfelt condolences for your loss

I lost my best friend of 16 years (a dog) about 4 years ago, and it still hurts. I understand.

Forgive anything I may have said that sounds too harsh. I am used to expressing my point of view forcefully. But it does not diminish my sympathy.

TrueHeart Guest
    Yeah ... I don't know. Everybody is eerily agreeable here today! I'm getting NERVOUS.

BellaLove Guest
    Yes, it's an odd day here in the Ageless community folks.....
    HURRY! Someone say something about Bush so we can get back to normal around here!! LOL J/K

catlover: I am very sorry for your losses.....the day I loose my pets or close family will be unbearable, I can't even imagine it. I think the majority of us here are compassionate people....it feels more personal here than any other forum I've been to.

TrueHeart Guest
    Speaking for myself, I love everybody here ... even the ones who are a little mixed up in the head

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast