AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Thread: Fire Place ideas

Just MiMi is offline Senior Member

Fire Place ideas

I've a brick fireplace in my family room with the brass and glass doors so popular in the 80's. It does keep sparks away and distributes heat. However it is old and ugly. The sliding mesh curtain sticks and is worn.

Home decorating shows say to get rid of them. Would a fireplace screen be a good replacement? Is there a way to paint the brass or replace the metal?

Thanks for any suggestions. A friend who is an interior designer said to paint the brick, and remove the glass doors. I'm concerned painting would make the soot more noticable.

Thanks for any help!

VenusDarkStar Guest
    If the brick is natural, I would hesitate to paint it....just my personal taste, because I love the look of natural brick or stones. As for the brass, there are products like Brasso that you could try if it's real brass. and if the glass has smoke stains, good old-fashioned Glass Wax is excellent. Both Brasso and Glass Wax are products that you apply and let dry before polishing. If it's NOT real brass, you have nothing to lose by trying to clean it up. If YOU like the look of what you have, then why buy something new? However, that chain curtain needs to go if it's sticking...I'm not sure if products like WD40 would be safe for the fireplace.

Good luck!

Fire Place

Thank's GI Joe's Girl,

I've cleaned the glass doors with windex. It's the brass that is such an eye sore. It's dated. I'd love to have a beautiful surround; but that is out of the question until I find work.

The brick is natural and I do use my fireplace often. The mantle is CHEAP. I'd love to find a store where they have things from old buildings!

Blessings,
    MiMi

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    Pics of our FR black painted brick fireplace (long post) - Home Decorating Forum - GardenWeb

not my fireplace, but what was done is stunning! also at this site is a forum dedicated to fireplace makeovers.

truckman Guest
    Painting brick can be a pain in the butt because you have to "stipple" the brick and mortar because it's textured and porous.

Brass surrounds are dated, however they can be roughed up with sandpaper and painted - I've done that a few times using automotive "header paint", such as this product:

VHT Flame Proof Header Paint - JEGS

You will need two cans - one of primer ($10) and one of the color of your choosing. High temp paints generally don't come in fancy colors and you're stuck with the basics, but maybe a white, black or grey will work for you.

They also have a clearcoat ($10) you can put on top of the color coat if you want the finish to be reasonably glossy.

VenusDarkStar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by christina923 View Post
    Pics of our FR black painted brick fireplace (long post) - Home Decorating Forum - GardenWeb

not my fireplace, but what was done is stunning! also at this site is a forum dedicated to fireplace makeovers.
    You're right....this is STUNNING! It works perfectly with the ultra-modern decor. Not my personal taste, but beautiful to look at, and a great inspiration!

Otherwise...listen to Truckman! He can fix ANYTHING! haha

Fireplace ideas

Thanks Truckman. I wish you were my next door neighbor! I liked the black paint; but my room couldn't pull it off. It is small and rectangle in shape.

Thanks everyone for your ideas!