AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By christina923
  • 1 Post By SheLikesKitties
  • 1 Post By pinkunicorn
  • 1 Post By 1love

Thread: Retiring

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP

Retiring

I am thinking about retiring in 18 months. I am not sure about what will I do with all the free time, and basically my main plan is to take better care of myself, with plenty of excercise and a good diet, but that will certainly not take all day. I thought about volunteering at the library to do stuff for kids but apart from reading to them I canīt think of what else to do.

Have any of you considered retirement or is retired?

Comments?

Azureth is offline Banned
    I know this is a bit off topic but how does your man feel about it?

I've heard that could be an issue later on with people in AGR.

Quote Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
    I know this is a bit off topic but how does your man feel about it?

I've heard that could be an issue later on with people in AGR.
    I think that it can be an issue when the woman is a housewife and then she suddenly has to deal with a bored husband at home. I know my ex mother in law had a hard time when my ex father in law was home all the time.

Apart from a small degree of envy because I will be free and he still has many years to go, I do not know why that would bother my husband.

Azureth is offline Banned
    Is the retirement age much lower in Panama? You're only 53. Here in the U.S it's 65.

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    i retired at age 58 and love it!!!! i'm never bored...always something to do. i enjoy the slower pace and the free time to enjoy my hobbies.
    my husband is 18 years younger, and as you stated, a bit of envy, but he always enjoys being the "bread winner" and taking care of us.
    we recently moved to the country, have about 3 acres, and a house that had been a bit negleted for a while...so a lot of time goes into that.
    what are your interests? how far away is your getaway place? could energy/time go into that place? as for volunteer work, can you work with animal rescue? become a big sister to a girl who doesn't have a mom? elderly visits? soup kitchen work?
    Angel likes this.

Is the retirement age much lower in Panama? You're only 53. Here in the U.S it's 65.
    I will be 54 in September. Early retirement in Panama is 55 with 30 years of service. Normal retirement is at 57. I have heard rumors of an increase of retirement age so I rather take early retirement on account of "its better one bird in the hand than 100 birds flying". I do not know if you have that saying in English.

Quote Originally Posted by christina923 View Post
    i retired at age 58 and love it!!!! i'm never bored...always something to do. i enjoy the slower pace and the free time to enjoy my hobbies.
    my husband is 18 years younger, and as you stated, a bit of envy, but he always enjoys being the "bread winner" and taking care of us.
    we recently moved to the country, have about 3 acres, and a house that had been a bit negleted for a while...so a lot of time goes into that.
    what are your interests? how far away is your getaway place? could energy/time go into that place? as for volunteer work, can you work with animal rescue? become a big sister to a girl who doesn't have a mom? elderly visits? soup kitchen work?
    I could devote a bit more energy to the mountain cabin, but that is 2 hours away so it is not feasible for both of us to move there (unless they open an English school closer to that town), but I could work with animal rescue, or elderly visit. I have tried the soup kitchen, but I am afraid that my nose is too sensitive for that. I would love the Big Sister activity, but we do not have such a thing here, which gives me the idea to open the service.

I like to help people but only those people who will put my help to good use. I believe in maximizing my efforts, for example, a poor person may just need English tutoring to have access to better jobs, ditto with computer skills. Girls from low income backgrounds need help with their manners and how to dress for success to be considered for an interview. Young men may need driving lessons to land a better paying job. Things like that. Racism exists here and we do not have Equal Opportunity laws, so blacks and natives need additional skills to have a fighting chance.
    debralee likes this.

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SheLikesKitties View Post
    I will be 54 in September. Early retirement in Panama is 55 with 30 years of service. Normal retirement is at 57. I have heard rumors of an increase of retirement age so I rather take early retirement on account of "its better one bird in the hand than 100 birds flying". I do not know if you have that saying in English.

I could devote a bit more energy to the mountain cabin, but that is 2 hours away so it is not feasible for both of us to move there (unless they open an English school closer to that town), but I could work with animal rescue, or elderly visit. I have tried the soup kitchen, but I am afraid that my nose is too sensitive for that. I would love the Big Sister activity, but we do not have such a thing here, which gives me the idea to open the service.

I like to help people but only those people who will put my help to good use. I believe in maximizing my efforts, for example, a poor person may just need English tutoring to have access to better jobs, ditto with computer skills. Girls from low income backgrounds need help with their manners and how to dress for success to be considered for an interview. Young men may need driving lessons to land a better paying job. Things like that. Racism exists here and we do not have Equal Opportunity laws, so blacks and natives need additional skills to have a fighting chance.

it sounds like you have EXCELLENT goals for your retirement!! what an asset you will be to many with those ideas!

pinkunicorn is offline Senior Member
    My husband is going to be retiring next year. He will be 56. He has plans, so he will be busy. He wants to travel, wants to spend time with his sister, his brother, and his kids. He wants to go camping, and is talking about going up to Alaska for a month. He wants to do more woodworking (I have plans for him!) and do some maintenance stuff around the house. I even have a list of things I'd like him to do--like replacing our carpet with laminate flooring. So he will be busy.

He laments that when he's travelling, he will miss me. And I will miss him, too. But at the same time I want him to enjoy his retirement. He's earned it.

While planning the financial aspect of his retirement, he wanted to leave some for me, but that would reduce the monthly amount he will receive. I told him not to worry about me, I still have many more years to work and I am investing and saving for my own retirement. He's worked hard for this, way before I came into the picture. Like I said before, he earned it.

As a younger partner, I feel bad that my husband cannot enjoy his retirement with me. Most people dream of retiring with their spouse and doing all kinds of things together. We won't get to do that. But then, I'm in the same boat. When I'm retiring at 60, if my husband is still around, he will be in his 80's. I told him that a reality I have is that I may be spending my retirement nursing him. Which I would much rather do than put him in a nursing home!
    Miss K likes this.
    Never try to fit in when you are meant to stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkunicorn View Post
    When I'm retiring at 60, if my husband is still around, he will be in his 80's. I told him that a reality I have is that I may be spending my retirement nursing him. Which I would much rather do than put him in a nursing home!
    The 80s are the new 50s. If your husband takes good care of himself, he should be pretty active still in his 80s. I have lots of relatives who are doing great, and even driving at that age, and older.

Maybe my husband will be able to retire early... in like 15 years, well, not completely retire, but get a part time job... as a realtor or having a weekend cafe in the mountains or something.
    pinkunicorn likes this.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

1love is offline Senior Member
    My parents retired at 55 and 53. My best friends retired last year at the ages of 45 and 43. It depends on your assets/income and retirement plans, I suppose. If you are counting on government benefits, the age has been pushed up to 67.
    christina923 likes this.
    I've decided that the stuff falling through the cracks is confetti and I'm having a party! ~Betsy Caņas Garmon

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    Quote Originally Posted by SheLikesKitties View Post
    I would love the Big Sister activity, but we do not have such a thing here, which gives me the idea to open the service.
    Brilliant idea!
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

It is just a matter of making sure that you will be alive and somewhat healthy when you decide to retire, not at the edge of death. I have been planning for retirement for years! First by living modestly, and second, by saving and investing within my means. Actually there are good private pension plans here, mine pays 9% interest!
    christina923 likes this.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.