AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By VenusDarkStarLA
  • 1 Post By AmandaAlice
  • 1 Post By SheLikesKitties
  • 1 Post By NY10

Thread: Natural Disasters

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP

Natural Disasters

With the tornadoes in the midwest, an earth tremor here (5.6 Richter scale) and a little hurricane, I am wondering what would you say it's the most fearsome natural disaster, in your opinion. I personally vote for earthquakes, specially since I live on a 25th floor. No hope for me if a really bad earthquake strikes. I think that even for tornadoes you can go in a shelter, right?

Also, do you think that things are getting worse like everyone says or it's just business as usual.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

gorillagirl Guest
    i think the ones we can't be alerted of.
    hurricanes- we know they're coming.
    tornados can be predicted somewhat.
    earthquakes and tsunamis seem scarier because they are unannounced.
    my house is built 1 mile from the san andreas fault.
    i live on the edge...
    :-)

chi77 Guest
    i agree that tsunamis and earthquakes are at the top because they are unpredictable and cause huge amounts of destruction and death.

i think tornadoes have to be next. we can be warned of their possibility, but there is no way to know if one will form or where exactly. they are this huge black thing that sounds like a freight train and comes out of the sky and quickly tears up everything in its path. you usually don't have time to seek shelter, and that shelter must be underground. the tornado in oklahoma was over a mile wide with 200 mph winds. a tornado is like a monster.

volcanoes....pretty **** scary too.

VenusDarkStarLA is offline Senior Member
    I think opinions are going to vary according to what region of the planet you were born and made that place your home the longest. For me, earthquakes are usually just a "was that a big truck that went by, but why is my chandelier swinging?" kinda thing. Having been raised in Los Angeles, it's something I just shrug off or get that adrenaline rush at best. Even the famous "Northridge Quake" of 1994 was annoying at best. One glass fell off an etagere, and a picture fell off the wall. It woke me up, but when I realized it was almost over, I wanted to go back to sleep, knowing I wouldn't be going to work that day. But NOOOOO....my roommates were yelling at me to huddle with them in the doorway. What the hell for? It was pretty much over in a few seconds. We were still alive....may as well go back to sleep folks...it's still dark! LOL

We also have our seasonal wildfires here in California....it's just nature doing its cleansing and fertilizing. In fact, they set fires on purpose...controlled ones...to preserve our fantastic big trees that have been around for God knows how many years. Fires are a necessary process of nature, and we are just in the way of it all.

But yeah, I'm used to that. I can't imagine the terror of what people face in places like Oklahoma and other places along tornado alley with those monster twisters. It's a seasonal thing too, and they live with this every doggone year! Same for the hurricanes. I'm glad Joe lives more inland so it's just like a bad storm and he's not affected like the coastal regions of the East coast. I love a good thunderstorm...that's very romantic and exciting to watch the lightning bolts and to hear the thunder. But the twister thing....NO, NO, NO!

P.S. In response to Chi....yeah volcanoes....but to paraphrase George Carlin....People build their house next to a volcano and then wonder why they have lava in their living room.
    SheLikesKitties likes this.

AmandaAlice is offline Senior Member
    I think I'd probably say tornados for me. Sure, you can go hide in the basement and hope for the best, but only if you get warning, and only if you have a basement. I remember having to huddle in the bathtub when we had one when I was a kid and we lived in a trailer park. If you're sleeping and not watching the news or something though, you don't get the warning. I have been through a couple real small quakes here in Ohio, nothing like the big ones in CA though, and they weren't natural, they were caused by that fracking crap being pumped into disposal wells, but that'a a whole 'nother rant. They weren't scary though, the couch shook for a second and that was that. Hurricanes... never been through one, but I don't feel sorry for the people who do. Don't want your house ruined by a hurricane then don't build it on the **** beach, common freakin' sense. Same with the volcanoes. You can't build a house beside a volcano then cry when it erupts, shoulda thought of that before stickin' your house there. The tsunami like that huge one in Asia, where the videos showing people and buildings being swept out to sea, yea that would probably scare me. Fire is scary to me only when I think of losing my family, pets, and much beloved book collection to it. If it was a wildfire, and I had advance notice to get some stuff and get out before it got to my house, I'd be fine with it. An accidental housefire not so much, because I'd have to be rushing around the house trying to make sure the animals and people are all out before it killed us. So I say for me, tornado, final answer
    VenusDarkStarLA likes this.

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Quote Originally Posted by VenusDarkStarLA View Post
    I think opinions are going to vary according to what region of the planet you were born and made that place your home the longest.
    This is true, I have never been in a place with tornadoes or hurricanes.
    In Panama we are not used to natural disasters (except floods). While floods are natural disasters with a lot of economic damage, you have to be pretty slow to die in a flood, I mean you see it rains and rains, and if your house is in a low area, you better head for high ground. Same with mudslides which are a result of heavy rain.

But being on a high floor gives a whole new meaning to earthquakes, buildings are supposed to sway when the earth moves, so if you are up there, it MOVES, you feel it rocking, way more than on the ground. And there is absolutely nothing you can do, because it takes like 20 minutes to walk down 25 flights of stairs.

Just yesterday there were news that a group of people (squatters) decided to move by the banks of a river, guess what, the river will swell and swipe their homes away, now the government is trying to clear the area.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

NY10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SheLikesKitties View Post
    With the tornadoes in the midwest, an earth tremor here (5.6 Richter scale) and a little hurricane, I am wondering what would you say it's the most fearsome natural disaster, in your opinion. I personally vote for earthquakes, specially since I live on a 25th floor. No hope for me if a really bad earthquake strikes. I think that even for tornadoes you can go in a shelter, right?

Also, do you think that things are getting worse like everyone says or it's just business as usual.
    I think the fear of each natural disaster depends on where you live. I live in NY and after super storm Sandy hit that has become a major major fear for people on the east coast. Trains are just now starting to get running again and people are still homeless and there is plenty of clean up, boardwalks are being rebuilt but the fear is still very very much here and the loss and sadness. That was a major disaster here in NY and NJ and along the east coast and YES I have a fear that more are to come and they will only get bigger and stronger.

Of course if you live on the west coast the fear of earthquakes are scary, tornado in the mid west have caused so much destruction. I think mother nature is really pissed right now. As we speak NY is getting slammed by a heat wave 90's for the last 3 days and tomorrow as well. This winter we had some snow, one big storm but nothing like a few years ago where we were hit with 2 or 3 blizzards back to back.

I think the thing that is most concerning that even if you prepare for these storms, we were warned about Sandy before she hit, of course a lot of us (myself included) underestimated what she would bring. We were told Irene was gonna be bad and she was not fun but nothing like Sandy. I think that many people higher up also underestimated it, it took weeks close to a month if not more for some to get power back, the gas shortage was outrageous because gas stations had no power and there was no fuel to get on the east coast because a barge was destroyed. Things like that don't help bring comfort to the people but that comes from the power companies and the people higher up who also have to prepare better.