AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Weirdest age gap comment ever!

  1. #1
    Faith's Avatar
    Faith is offline Some assembly required
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Left coast
    Posts
    2,419

    Weirdest age gap comment ever!

    So... I went into a GAP store to look for oversized T-shirts to wear as sleep-shirts. The men's department had them on sale and I picked out a few colors in men's size Extra-Large. I took them to the cashier, a young woman. Except for us two, the men's department was completely empty. As she rang up the T-shirts, she asked: "Are these for your son?"

    WTF?!?

    I was speechless... it was so out of left field. Here I am shopping alone and what???... my SON?!?!

    I was completely unable to make a snappy comeback... or any comeback at all. I just kind of mumbled, Uh yeah.
    I came home and stared in the mirror. I don't have a son. Do I look like I have a son?
    Now it's hours later and I still can't think of a snappy comeback.

    What would you have said?
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

  2. #2
    gorillagirl Guest
    maybe you resemble another client who recently shopped there with her son??? otherwise, what an "off the wall" comment. if a woman is over 30, she can easily have a son that could wear XL shirts (even if the mom had the kid at 16 and the kid is a husky 14 year old cuz the dad is a big and tall man or something). i would have said in an old lady voice "oh, no, dearie, they're for my 23 year old lover" just to rock her world.
    Michelle, Faith and gnothiseauton like this.

  3. #3
    SheLikesKitties's Avatar
    SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Panama
    Posts
    4,096
    That was a compliment. It means you look young enough to be shopping for a teenager.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

  4. #4
    theREALTrish's Avatar
    theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by SheLikesKitties View Post
    That was a compliment. It means you look young enough to be shopping for a teenager.
    I don't see where the implication is that her "son" is a teenager. She was in the men's department buying XL men's shirts. Honestly, Faith, I don't see why you're upset. You, definitely, could have a son.....of various ages. She was probably just making conversation. If I was in store buying t-shirts for myself, and the cashier asked me if I was buying them for my son, I wouldn't think twice about it. In fact, I would have said "No, actually, I'm buying them for myself to wear as night shirts." Actually, I have some men's boxers that came from the Gap that I wear to bed. Another thought, too. She, probably, wouldn't think you were buying them for yourself because they were XL.

  5. #5
    christina923 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    6,101
    yup...what trish said...it was just conversation..nothing more.

  6. #6
    SheLikesKitties's Avatar
    SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Panama
    Posts
    4,096
    Quote Originally Posted by theREALTrish View Post
    I don't see where the implication is that her "son" is a teenager.
    That was the last time I bought T-shirts for my son, when he was a teen.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

  7. #7
    Faith's Avatar
    Faith is offline Some assembly required
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Left coast
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    i would have said in an old lady voice "oh, no, dearie, they're for my 23 year old lover" just to rock her world.
    Good one, GG! ... and then I would have bopped her over the head with my bumbershoot.

    Trish, I'm not "upset"... but I was rather gobsmacked at the moment. Her comment instantly invoked the Ghost of Young Man Past. In fact, my first instinct was to glance behind me, afraid of seeing him haunting me there! When we were a couple, plenty of people had asked the dreaded AG question: Is that your son?

    So I was a tad spooked by the cashier's comment, ya know?
    Angel, gorillagirl and Bella_Grl like this.
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

  8. #8
    theREALTrish's Avatar
    theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    Good one, GG! ... and then I would have bopped her over the head with my bumbershoot.

    Trish, I'm not "upset"... but I was rather gobsmacked at the moment. Her comment instantly invoked the Ghost of Young Man Past. In fact, my first instinct was to glance behind me, afraid of seeing him haunting me there! When we were a couple, plenty of people had asked the dreaded AG question: Is that your son?

    So I was a tad spooked by the cashier's comment, ya know?
    Yes, I can understand that from your point of view, Faith. I'm sorry that you still experience those moments. I hope that, someday soon, there is nothing that reminds you of those days. Well, nothing that causes you any discomfort.
    MissMuffins, Angel and gorillagirl like this.

  9. #9
    kye's Avatar
    kye
    kye is offline The Phantom Menace
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    449
    I agree that she was just making conversation, but, I don't think cashiers should make personal comments about what you are buying. Its none of their business! Especially at the grocery store.
    theREALTrish and Faith like this.

  10. #10
    gnothiseauton is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pacific Northwest of USA
    Posts
    53
    Weird, indeed, and I can see where you'd be looking over your shoulder if you were haunted with memories of dating a man young enough to be your son.

    I wanted to chime in with my own weirdest age gap comment... in fact I said it, within my relationship:

    I told my young man, "The main way I'm older than you... is that I floss."
    And, I finally got HIM to floss last time he spent the night. YAY! oh the humiliation, for him... but I won because his teeth have started to hurt.

    Even in relationships without an age gap, I believe a loving aspect of parenting is normal, to a degree. You want to support your partner in being their best and sometimes that extends to a mothering quality. As long as it's not naggy, I think it's constructive. I think it's abnormal to neglect the mothering aspect out of fear of the age gap.
    Last edited by gnothiseauton; 07-27-2014 at 04:07 AM.
    Faith likes this.

  11. #11
    legallyblonde Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    So... I went into a GAP store to look for oversized T-shirts to wear as sleep-shirts. The men's department had them on sale and I picked out a few colors in men's size Extra-Large. I took them to the cashier, a young woman. Except for us two, the men's department was completely empty. As she rang up the T-shirts, she asked: "Are these for your son?"

    WTF?!?

    I was speechless... it was so out of left field. Here I am shopping alone and what???... my SON?!?!

    I was completely unable to make a snappy comeback... or any comeback at all. I just kind of mumbled, Uh yeah.
    I came home and stared in the mirror. I don't have a son. Do I look like I have a son?
    Now it's hours later and I still can't think of a snappy comeback.

    What would you have said?
    If I find a comment rude, I usually ignore it. When I don't answer, the asker can presume what they want.
    Ali

  12. #12
    kittylane's Avatar
    kittylane is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    3,244
    Maybe because they were for a man and you were in a store that is somewhat Hip? There was an assumption. I had a daughter at 22 so having a son does not make you an older woman.
    theREALTrish likes this.

  13. #13
    Odd Even's Avatar
    Odd Even is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    287
    Hehe, something even worse happened to a couple of friends of mine. Someone (I forgot who) believed her to be his mother, despite that she is one year YOUNGER than him...
    Odd Even

  14. #14
    Bella_Grl is offline Neophyte
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd Even View Post
    Hehe, something even worse happened to a couple of friends of mine. Someone (I forgot who) believed her to be his mother, despite that she is one year YOUNGER than him...
    Haha, I hear this on a regular basis. At first it was offensive, but now I'm just rolling my eyes and sometimes giggling.

    @Faith: some people are just good at saying awkward things to other people even though that was not their intention in the first place. That's what I usually think in situations like this and this somehow helps me let it go.
    SheLikesKitties likes this.

  15. #15
    fiorinda's Avatar
    fiorinda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    481
    I just completely fail to see how or why this is an odd question? I have a son. I'm 49. My son will be 23 next week and my daughter was 28 in July. People who have sons don't look a particular way. My son is quite small and slender, but if he were a big lad, he could have been wearing XL teeshirts for 10 years, making me only 39 when he started wearing them. No reason to assume they were for a son rather than a husband/partner or brother or Dad or big built girlfriend or yourself to wear as sleep shirts, but really, not an odd comment at all! Certainly surely not the weirdest age gap comment ever!? Or in fact even an age gap comment at all! She could have no way on earth of knowing about your 'ghost of young man past', nor, even if she did, of guessing that if she asked you if the teeshirts were for a son that it would call up that ghost.
    theREALTrish likes this.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •