AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bored with your tattoos?

Faith is offline Some assembly required

Bored with your tattoos?

Disclaimer: I don't have any tattoos, and I've never had a lover with tats. So I am entirely ignorant about this question, which is . . .

Do any of you tattooed ladies ever worry that you might get bored with your tattoos? How much thought goes into choosing an image or symbol that will presumably be with you all the rest of your life?

I'm curious because yesterday on the subway I saw a young woman, maybe 19-20, in a mini skirt. She had each of the fronts of her legs tattooed from ankle to knee with a long peacock feather.

And I thought: Man, you really gotta love peacock feathers to look down at your legs and see that for the rest of your life.

Now when I was 20, I loved peacock feathers too. But my infatuation didn't last for more than a couple of years at most. Certainly not tattoo worthy.

And what about your tattooed SO? Are you getting just a teensy bit bored looking at those tats?

What do y'all think? (... besides how stupid this topic is )
    Mebel likes this.
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

Mebel is offline OWYM AG 29 yrs

Well, I do not know but I really love his tattoos. My ym has 2 nice and fine artistic black grafic drawings ( I am an art&drawing teacher, and also very 'kritisch'(dutch word)) on his body which he took when on our vacation in Ibiza( 2011) and the other one made during our vacation 2 years later in Greece. He is the first boyfriend with tattoos, hardly know other people with it. But it suits him perfectly!! and also because these symbols mark his understanding and coping with his difficult start living on his own. He lost both his parents suddenly in 2011, when he was 23 years and one year moved-out of his parents house. We are in relationship since 2008. So because of the impact of these symbols and the nice drawn lines , i assume that i will always love these images on him. Ofcourse he asked me on forehand what i would think of them and together we made, by drawing, the right image to tattoo.
    Last edited by Mebel; 09-05-2014 at 02:20 AM.
    Faith likes this.

Mebel is offline OWYM AG 29 yrs
    and.. to end funny,, I am 29 years older than him,,so i will not see them when he has wrinkled skin.
    Faith likes this.

fiorinda is offline Senior Member
    I got my first tattoo when I was about 37, and thought about the design for a long time. I drew it myself and had the tattoist do it for me. It had a symbolic meaning for me at the time which is a little irrelevant to me now, but I still love it. My second one I got when I was probably 38 or 39, and it has no symbolism, it's just an image I really like. I still love it. To be honest though, I'm so used to seeing them that mostly I don't even notice them or think about them. I really would like a third tattoo but the spare money hasn't been there. I might be able to get one done soon though. I know what I want to have and I'm not worried about not always liking it. Lee has a tiny tattoo on his chest of a stylised angel that he had done when his baby sister died, in her memory. It's not to my taste but I love it because it means so much to him. He is going to get a wedding ring tattoo too, instead of an actual ring, because he doesn't like wearing rings. We've discussed and researched designs for that together. He would also like a larger tattoo, and maybe he'll get that done soon if the ring one doesn't make him cry like a baby!!

My daughter had one of those Celtic-style lower back tattoos as soon as she turned 18, because they were very popular with young women at that time, and now she regrets it because it was a fad, she was too young and got it done for the wrong reasons, and she's not really a 'tattoo kind of person'. My son on the other hand wants a tattoo (he's 23) but knows that it has to be something he really loves and that means something to him, so he's being patient and waiting till the right design presents itself to him, or the inspiration for the right design, as he's a graphic designer.

I think it didn't ought to be legal to get tattooed until you're at least 25, but that would seem a bit ridiculous and, to most people, arbitrary. I do wonder sometimes about how much some people might end up regretting their tattoos. I used to be friends, many years ago in the punk era, with a girl who had self-made tattoos on her forearms. As she got older she changed a lot and became much more conventional, and those tattoos were always a huge embarrassment to her and she always wore long sleeves to cover them up! They weren't even attractive!!
    Faith likes this.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    I have no tatoos, and Nick does not have any either.

Regarding tatoos that represent beloved people or memorable situations, I think life gives you tatoos in the form of various scars. If I wanted a symbol of my son, I have my cesarean section scar. A symbol for Nick would be a few tiny face-lift scars that will always remind me of the beginning of my AGR and my attempt at looking younger.

Nick has a scar that reminds him of his first trip to Panama, fishing in the Panama Canal, getting drunk and almost losing his leg on a rotten pier.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

gorillagirl Guest
    i got my 1st tat when i was 18. i have 3 right now and yes, i am bored with them and wish i didn't have them.

NY10 is offline Senior Member
    I was 18 when I got my first tattoo, I am now 27 and have seven of them. Each one of my tattoos represent a certain time in my life and each took time and thought before getting them done. I don't have any regrets about my choice to get tattoos as each was done for myself and as long as I like them and am okay living with them each day that's all I care about.

My SO doesn't have any tattoos and isn't "crazy" about the fact that I do but he doesn't seem to pay much attention to them, they don't get in the way of anything. My ex had tattoos and I loved them on him, we even got tattooed together a few times and I would love to look at his art, when he was sleeping I would run my fingers over the tattoo and he would joke that he wished it felt like that when he got it done.

Maybe in 10 more years I'll hate them and regret them but for right now, I have no regrets, but I am done and not planning on getting anymore again.

AmandaAlice is offline Senior Member
    I only have one right now, I got it when I was 22 or 23. It's my cat's name in script with a little star above it, on the inside of my right wrist. I don't regret it, even though it might be silly (according to others, lol) to have my cat's name tattooed on me. But before my kid, and before my dog, it was the cat, and he was my 'baby', which is why I got it. Like someone said above, I see it all the time, so I'm used to seeing it, hardly even notice it. I plan on getting the dog's paw-print on me somewhere, dunno where yet, and my kid's name as well, I'll put that on the back of my neck. I also want the symbol of my favorite band on my left inner forearm, not big, just a little one. I've loved their music for well over a decade now, so I'm pretty sure I won't get tired of that one either.
    My OM on the other hand... he had no tattoos when we got together, then went through this little mini-obsession where he got a bunch all in the span of a year. He's got a memorial tat on his chest for his dad and his couple of brothers that passed away, a memorial tat of his favorite dog he had years ago that got killed, his birth year numbers across his lower chest/upper abs area, and a couple others on his arms, and a huge Indian head with feathered headdress taking up his whole back. I can't really say I get bored with seeing em, I like em well enough I suppose. Like my own, I hardly even notice em anymore. The only one that bothers me is the deer on his arm, because it's messed up from where he got sunburned a day or two after getting it, then he peeled, and parts of the tat came with it. He plans on getting it fixed one of these days when funds allow. I can say I wasn't thrilled when he showed up with his first few... I mean, we were just getting to know each other good and intimately, I especially liked his back pre-tat, and then he went and marked it all up, but now it's like, meh, whatever. I'm used to it. I know my one little one doesn't bother him at all, he encouraged me to get it, and is definitely cool with me getting more. So it's all good

AmandaAlice, have you asked your partner why he wants his date of birth tattooed? I'm only asking out of curiosity. I'm always curious about the reasons behind tattoos. I believe "because it appeals to me aesthetically" to be a perfectly valid justification however, but do struggle to see a purely aesthetic appeal in text tattoos. It's all personal taste of course, as some people find even the most beautiful, perfectly made pictorial tattoos unattractive. I just wonder why anyone would feel they need their own dob, and if he'd said.

AmandaAlice is offline Senior Member
    Lol, I really don't know why he wanted it. He and two buddies all got them at the same time, it's one of those ones that say 'Est.' then the birth year. It's not something I'd do on myself... I mean, I know when I was born, I don't need ink to remind me I think it was a combination of drinking and peer pressure that led to it...
    fiorinda likes this.

NY10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiorinda View Post
    AmandaAlice, have you asked your partner why he wants his date of birth tattooed? I'm only asking out of curiosity. I'm always curious about the reasons behind tattoos. I believe "because it appeals to me aesthetically" to be a perfectly valid justification however, but do struggle to see a purely aesthetic appeal in text tattoos. It's all personal taste of course, as some people find even the most beautiful, perfectly made pictorial tattoos unattractive. I just wonder why anyone would feel they need their own dob, and if he'd said.
    Funny. I have my date of birth in Roman numerals tattooed on the back of my neck. Yes I know my own DOB and it doesn't hold anything amazingly symbolizing but I liked it and it doesn't bother me.

theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    I think when people get married the man should have the date tattooed somewhere that he'll always see it. Like maybe on his penis. Men are, notoriously, known for forgetting their wedding anniversary, so that way he'd never forget. OK, I'm really joking.

Personally, I don't like tattoos. But, I'm old so I don't get it. lol!

That's a really good idea, Trish!! I also think they should have their door keys attached to a nipple ring! Lee will have no excuse not to remember our wedding anniversary, as it will be both Halloween and the day after my birthday!
    theREALTrish and degausser like this.

Pickles is offline Senior Member
    Slightly...
    I have only one. I got it in 1988 when I was a fool 20 sumfin. I had always wanted a anklet tattoo like my aunt (who has many but I don't like them).
    Sometimes I ponder getting symbols of my kids in my native language possibly but have shrugged on it now.

I don't exactly regret it but it was not what I had planned for over a month to have inked.

Instead of a graceful ankle bracelet of a serpent-dragon biting it's tail.. I got a big, kinda fat chinese dragon that stretches up 10 centimeters of my calf.
    My fault partially. I went straight from partying with fellow soldiers to the parlor appointment and fell asleep as the work was done. I was unhappy that the artist that designed with me was at their shop in Okinawa and should have postponed right then. I really should have waited til I wa back home and could look around local

It is what it is, well done but not 100% pleasing.. and too big. I had 30 days to change my mind. But how was I to know they would botch it.
    It is still very colorful, only the white is faded
    Daisypath Friendship tickers
    ............Unexpected pleasures are sweetest

legallyblonde Guest
    One of my high school bff's is now living a full country away and we lost touch for 30 years. Over the last three years, she has divorced, gotten involved with someone unusual and now she's getting tattooed. She' on FB, asking if we all believe she should get a full sleeve. I'm at a loss as to what to say. Tattoo ink could likely be a hit on your immune system, and as part of the over 50 crowd, so is she, I'm not really thinking it's a good idea EVER. My derm told me if I ever wanted a tat to stick to the red green and blue, I think. They could be removed but so many other colors can't be. 150 dollar tat, 5 thousand dollar removal. I think I'm just paint something on for an event, and then wash it off!

Ali
    christina923 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast