AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Thread: Are the relationships with age difference taboo in your country or not?

Knight is offline Neophyte

Are the relationships with age difference taboo in your country or not?

So, is it a taboo in your country or it is socially accepted?

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    I live in Panama, a relatively conservative, Catholic country. Having said that, everyone minds their own business. AGRs, interracial couples, gay couples, single moms, are understood not to be the ideal situation, but nobody will bother you, and you can have friends, and go places without fearing comments or harrasment.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

AmandaAlice is offline Senior Member
    I'm in a small town, rural-ish area in Ohio, in the US. I wouldn't say it's perfectly normal, but it's definitely not taboo either. We've never been harassed or anything of that sort, but might get an odd look every once in awhile perhaps... not that I ever notice though. I see other age-gap couples in the weekly marriage license section in the local paper (which publishes the names and ages of the people getting the licenses) sometimes, both OW/YM and YW/OM, so it's not really that unusual a thing around here I guess

Slow Worm is offline Senior Member
    We've never encountered any hostility over it here (UK).

SW

Slow Worm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SheLikesKitties View Post
    Catholic country. ...... AGRs, interracial couples, gay couples, single moms, are understood not to be the ideal situation
    I see why Catholics are unhappy about single parents and gay couples, and I presume their problem with AGRs, esp. OWYM, is we are less likely than same-age couples to go fourth and multiply, but how do interracial couples fall foul of Catholic doctrines?

SW

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Worm View Post
    I see why Catholics are unhappy about single parents and gay couples, and I presume their problem with AGRs, esp. OWYM, is we are less likely than same-age couples to go fourth and multiply, but how do interracial couples fall foul of Catholic doctrines?

SW
    It has nothing to do with Catholicism. In Panama we are very muticultural, and not all cultures are happy with interracial marriages, for example if a Kuna indian marries outside his ethnic group, he is kicked out of the reservation. Chinese are also very much against interracial marriages, my son is dating a Panamanian-Chinese girl and it took almost a year before she would dare introduce him to her family.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

Cygnus-x1 is offline Neophyte
    A younger woman/older man relationship is ok but older woman/younger man isn't.

Unfair, to be honest, because it makes things harder for guys like me, we still live in the old ways in Mexico, you know, the man is always expected to be older than the woman