AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree21Likes
  • 3 Post By fiorinda
  • 6 Post By Slow Worm
  • 3 Post By fiorinda
  • 1 Post By gorillagirl
  • 1 Post By christina923
  • 3 Post By Slow Worm
  • 3 Post By fiorinda
  • 1 Post By SheLikesKitties

Thread: The secret of happiness for women over 50.

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP

The secret of happiness for women over 50.

The secret of happiness for the over-50s? Staying vain! (?)
    What do you think?

Read more: The secret of happiness for the over-50s? Staying vain!* | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    The secret of happiness for the over-50s? Staying vain!* | Daily Mail Online
    In my humble opinion, there is a difference between being vain and wanting to look neat.
    Now that I am in my late 50s, I try to be more selective with the make up I apply, trying to look as natural as possible, and I definitely do not wear make up around the house. I believe that makeup clogs up the pores and ages skin, I rather my skin breathe and stay healthy than trying to pass for what I am not while alone in the house.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

fiorinda is offline Senior Member
    You'd think feminism had never happened!! I found this article deeply depressing and couldn't even read it to the end. We're never going to stop being judged solely, or even mainly, on the way we look when rubbish like this is still being published. Let's just hope some of those slightly younger women at that conference, the ones who looked like they hadn't brushed their hair or had rushed in from dropping the kids off, are less vacuous when they're over 50!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Slow Worm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiorinda View Post
    You'd think feminism had never happened!! !
    I don't think it has reached the Mail yet.

Let's just hope some of those slightly younger women at that conference,....... are less vacuous when they're over 50!
    If so they probably won't be featured in the Mail.

(The Daily Mail is a right-wing British tabloid which poses as a newspaper).

SW

Fiorinda:

I think the world is ready (thanks to numerous female leaders in different fields) to judge us for our knowledge, intellect, and achievements and not only for our looks.

Apparently, some women have not gotten the memo.

They are confusing male sexual advances (which indeed diminish as we age) with being visible. I pity women who come to old age with only withering looks as their only asset.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

Quote Originally Posted by SheLikesKitties View Post
    Fiorinda:

I think the world is ready (thanks to numerous female leaders in different fields) to judge us for our knowledge, intellect, and achievements and not only for our looks.

Apparently, some women have not gotten the memo.

They are confusing male sexual advances (which indeed diminish as we age) with being visible. I pity women who come to old age with only withering looks as their only asset.
    I think many, many people of both genders haven't got that memo, SLK!!

gorillagirl Guest
    that article wasn't worth the pixels that display it. what a bunch of hooey. make up is ridiculous...an artificial need that sucks up gazillions of dollars of women's assets, pollutes the planet, tortures animals, ends up as landfill. so much of it is carcinogenic also. www.safecosmetics.org

y'all, read "the beauty myth" by naomi wolf.
    ukfireball likes this.

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    """"I’m not talking about an artificial attempt to hold back the years — to convince the world you’re 40 when you’re 50, or to succumb to the surgeon’s knife — but a commitment to making the most of yourself, and looking and feeling the very best of your age.""""

you can not argue with that.... and if a bit of lipstick and mascara can help with self esteem...go for it! every one of us have had a "dumpy" day... and if you can change that with a good hair cut and a touch of blush. no big deal. i'm aware that there are many women who go over the top...but that is nothing new. it isn't just a woman thing anymore either.

here is an example of 3 women looking their best and rocking it.... in more ways then one.

Grandmas Have The Best Reactions After Smoking Weed For First Time (Video)
    gorillagirl likes this.

Slow Worm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by christina923 View Post
    "I’m not talking about an artificial attempt to hold back the years — to convince the world you’re 40 when you’re 50, or to succumb to the surgeon’s knife — but a commitment to making the most of yourself, and looking and feeling the very best of your age."

you can not argue with that....
    We can critically analyse it. It talks of "making the most of yourself" but what does the article-come-advert offer as a means of reaching that goal, as opposed to the "looking" element? Nothing. It is selling cosmetics, etc, and trying to draw a spurious connection between using them and the ill-defined "making the most of yourself".

if a bit of lipstick and mascara can help with self esteem...go for it!
    If applying lipstick and mascara cause someone to think they are then a better person than they were before, they have a convoluted definition of a better person - and that is just the sort of muddled and unrealistic ideas that the article seeks to plant. Advertising (and the Mail) aim to do as Lewis has the senior devil instruct the younger one in 'The Screwtape Letters': "... keep him off-balance. Remember we want to confuse and fuddle him. To listen to some of you young fiends, you sound as if you think you are there to teach..". No marketer ever really wants to help anyone in "making the most of yourself", as someone who really had done that might stop buying useless things, and there is much less scope for advertising useful ones.

SW
    fiorinda, Angel and gorillagirl like this.

whelp, at age 63 when the eyelashes disappear and the eyebrows fade away... my filler and mascara do enhance how I look. so am I "vain"? no, just enhancing features...and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.... better myself you all are reading way to much into those few words. are there some bimbos out there who take it literally...yup. most do not.

gorillagirl Guest
    make up or make up free, ultimately, the secret to true happiness and living our best possible selves is fully accepting our aging and our eventual death. this is our ultimate fate and ultimate truth. figuring out a way to embrace this truth will bring happiness. resistance causes discontent/struggling, etc.... acceptance brings peace.

The article IS called 'The secret to happiness for women over 50'.

Checking for VPL and having to put on lipstick to walk the dog is surely not anyone's secret to happiness!! I like makeup, I wear it probably slightly more than 50% of days. I don't wear it to pop to the local shops or stay in. Quite often I don't wear it to work - my pattern tends to be 'hair up = makeup' (but not always), 'hair down = could go either way' depending on if I can be bothered or not and how I'm feeling (not whether I'm feeling insecure or whatever, just whether I feel like putting on makeup). I don't cover the grey in my hair. I don't check for VPL. I don't wear expensive, well cut clothes. Yes I look better with some makeup on, but that doesn't mean I'm less happy without it.

I'm happy because my life is good, I'm in love, my family is nearby and healthy and there is red wine and chocolate in my home. I'm happy because I have friends who seem to think I'm OK, because my life is honest and I am (or hope I am) a nice person. I'm happy because I get to make other people happy. I'm happy because people love me and I love them.

No-one is saying don't put on makeup if it pleases you. No-one is saying don't wear the clothes that make you feel good and that suit you. Just really, the secret to happiness is LOOKING good?! Ridiculous!!

I put on makeup to go to work, mostly because I represent my company and I may run into people who think make up is important, or looking exec is important, and I do not want to dissapoint. Believe me, I would wear bright pink all day if I thought that was good for my business, thankfully I have not detected that trend yet.

And really, I would not wear make up at all if not for work. I do use Botox because I develop extra deep frown lines and then I look like I am angry, and I do not want to look angry when I am not. I know I frown in my sleep as well as do that thing with the teeth... bruxism.

My key to happiness is to achieve serenity. Not wanting more than what I have, being relatively healthy, loving my family, and having a fun but peaceful life.
    fiorinda likes this.