AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By SheLikesKitties
  • 3 Post By gorillagirl
  • 2 Post By christina923
  • 1 Post By NY10
  • 3 Post By SheLikesKitties
  • 1 Post By SheLikesKitties

Thread: On my way to retirement

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP

On my way to retirement

Last week I filed my early retirement application. The whole process takes about 5 months, so I may actually be retired in May next year. I do not think being retired will be as easy as it should be. I think I will be feeling guilty for not working. Most of my friends my age are working, but I just want to do things for me, like exercising, eating home-cooked healthy meals, taking art classes.

Why should I feel guilty when I think of that?

P.S. and kind of unrelated. Today we had a citizens protest against corruption and my mom and I wanted to go. She is 82 and walking is not so easy for her, so she borrowed a wheelchair from her church and we both went. She had a funny hat and was singing slogans in her chair, and the reporters took her picture. That was cute. Maybe she will become famous.
    christina923, kilny and Pickles like this.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

gorillagirl Guest
    if you can afford to retire, go for it. i see zero value in working ourselves to death unless absolutely necessary. you can always take a break and seek other work later on.
    SheLikesKitties, Angel and 1love like this.

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    I took an early retirement... you'll love it!!!!

NY10 is offline Senior Member
    My mom took an early retirement and loves it. She does so many things that her days her fly by now and she is truly enjoying herself. She always said she wanted to retire to enjoy life before it passed it her by or she was too old to get out and do things. She goes on vacations a few times a year, goes to the gym does her normal errands like food shopping and cleaning but just enjoys the freedom or coming and going and when she pleases.

If you are able to do it I say do it and enjoy yourself.
    SheLikesKitties likes this.

I opened a new thread about a pretty frustrating experience when I decided to visit a counsellor to help me plan my transition.

I feel that I am doing the right thing, and I can't wait until the process is finished. I always wanted to take art classes, I love painting, and I used to have some talent, so I am looking forward to that.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

I finally got notice from Social Security. I am supposed to get my first retirement check in September.

However. ...

I do not know when I will do all the things I want to do. My son is so not ready to take 100% care of the company. I may have to keep working for a couple of years until he is ready. What if he is never ready? My dad had the same type of business that I have, but he always had his head full of dreams and projects and his company suffered from him divesting resources from it to follow every butterfly that crossed his path. I took my dad's line of business and made a formal and successful company out of it. Now I am afraid my son is like my dad and will let things go... but then he is only 25... is that an excuse?

gorillagirl Guest
    sell the company?

Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    sell the company?
    I may, if I do not see any progress in the next year. Better sell something that has good value than wait until nobody wants it because of bad management.
    gorillagirl likes this.