AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By SheLikesKitties

Thread: The stove repairman - true story

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP

The stove repairman - true story

One of the knobs of my gas range broke, which causes that when you open the gas, you are never sure if it is properly closed. Since this is a serious fire risk, I called a range repairman from the yellow pages and this is how it went:

Extremely hansome, extremely polite and friendly, attractively dressed young guy comes to my door with a tiny tool box and a fancy motorcycle helmet.
    I explain the problem
    He looks at my stove
    Removes and looks at the broken knob
    Declares that the knob is beyond repair (I knew that, because it is plastic)
    Uses pliers to make sure gas is off
    Hands me back the knob and tells me not to put the knob back again, that way I will know which burner is disabled, and I will be reminded not to use it.
    I ask him if he has spare knobs (they are standard) or if he can get me a new knob. Nope, he can't, he has no idea where to buy one either, he recommeds I check the yellow pages.
    I ask him if he could disconnect the gas from that particular burner. Nope, he can't, he does not know how.
    I ask him belatedly if he has some certification as stove repairman. He can't produce any.

At this point I tell him that I do not expect a bill because he has not solved the problem, and he agrees and tells me that he is at my service for any other thing that I can think of, that he could help me with, so his visit is worth while.

I rolled my eyes, thanked him for his time, paid him a tip, and sent him on his way.

I am sure that he makes more money with the "other things" housewives think of, than as a stove repairman. I mean, ads in the yellow pages are not cheap.

So now I have to make sure the next stove repairman I get is butt ugly... but then, even that is no guarantee.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

kilny is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, I was laughing as I read this. I do hope you get your stove fixed though.
    Life is short, Live it with all your heart, love and passion.

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    HAHAAAHAHA!!!! thanks for the laugh!

SummerBob is offline Super Moderator
    Sorry you had to go through that.

You might want to consider a new stove. I remember ours broke and we had to completely replace it, the day after I got fired from my last job! Talk about timing!
    Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet."

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerBob View Post
    Sorry you had to go through that.

You might want to consider a new stove. I remember ours broke and we had to completely replace it, the day after I got fired from my last job! Talk about timing!
    Ugghh, yes bad timing.

I actually only use one of two burners of my stove, and the oven, so I really do not need the damaged burner, I just want the stove to be both esthetic and safe.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.