AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By fiorinda
  • 1 Post By degausser
  • 1 Post By kilny
  • 1 Post By SheLikesKitties
  • 2 Post By christina923
  • 1 Post By christina923
  • 2 Post By NY10

Thread: Code Blue

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP

Code Blue

I have had a difficult few days with Nick, he got bronchitis and at one point he could not breathe and was asphyxiating. Fortunately he recovered and I was not going to wait for a repeat so I took him to the nearest ER, after promising him I would not let them intubate him. As we arrived at ER, he had a second asphyxia episode combined with a chest cramp. It's not that he had his pipe closed, it's just that no oxygen was getting to his blood.

They called a code blue and kicked me out of the reanimation room, while they tried to stabilize him.

After a bit they were successful and he could breathe and his BP became normal.

After he was stable we moved to the private hospital where he has insurance, that is a bit farther away. We stayed 2 more days there, with aggressive antibiotics and inhalation therapy. This hospital is the only hospital in Panama where they insure smokers and the very elderly. While they work with insurance companies, they set up their own private plan where they do not turn away anybody like insurance companies do if you are risky. I was very impressed with their care and dedication.

Yesterday we had to go back for a prescribed inhalation therapy, and while Nick was there breathing the vapors, looking so tired, I got so sad wondering who will take care of him when I am gone and he is old.

Anyways, he will again try to quit smoking. I hope he is able to quit it this time, he got very scared.

P.S. I stayed with him throughout, he speaks very little Spanish, we were speaking English with each other, but I had to interpret into Spanish to the nurses, and one complimented me for my nice Spanish. At least everyone assumed I was his wife and nobody asked me if I was his mother.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

fiorinda is offline Senior Member
    Hope he recovers soon SLK!
    SheLikesKitties likes this.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

degausser is offline Senior Member
    How frightening for you both! I hope he's doing better.

kilny is offline Senior Member
    I hope he has a speedy and full recovery!
    Life is short, Live it with all your heart, love and passion.

He is doing much better thank you! I just hope he remembers this scare the rest of his life and quits smoking.
    kilny likes this.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    how frightening!!!! glad he is now doing ok.

this book...http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Ea.../dp/0615482155.... gave me the insight on what I was doing and how to quit. it was "painful" for about 3 days...the withdrawal...but I stuck with it and shut "that nicotine junkie" up once and for all. the addiction is right up there with heroin. don't worry about any weight gain... just use the technique to deal with it after the "junkie" has been dealt with.
    SheLikesKitties and Faith like this.

Thank you Christina, I will order it. Luckily the physical part is over, he has been smoke-free for 5 days, but this is not the first time. Once he went up to 10 days.
    christina923 likes this.

the book will give him a completely different way of looking at it... a different mindset on how to quit. it makes you question what is the cigarette changing? we smoke because we are bored, anxious, angry, want a break, etc.... the cigarette changes nothing, you still have the emotion of why you grabbed a cigarette.. we can deal with that situation without smoking. when we can get to that reasoning it becomes much easier to quit and stay smoke free.

Nevermind, he is back to smoking.

its a hard battle...the nicotine junkie is as demanding and controlling as the heroin junkie in that little spot in our head. I think he wants to quit, but he has no means of shutting that voice up. order the book, it gives ways of managing it.

the addiction is real...some say worse then a heroin addiction in intensity.

He is trying to quit again. I just learned today that a good friend of mine died last week of the same bronchitis event. I am so sad.
    christina923 likes this.

sorry about your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by christina923 View Post
    sorry about your friend.
    He was such a good man. He had 2 children and yet adopted a 3rd child, on a public servant salary. He was kind and cheerful. The world has lost a great person.

NY10 is offline Senior Member
    I'm so sorry that Nick had to go through that. I hope that he does wake up and realize that the smoking needs to stop. I know it's hard as I once was smoker too but every time I had the smallest pain I thought I was dying from smoking. I noticed it really bad when climbing even the smallest steps would make me out of breathe and my heart would feel like it was going to beat out of my chest. I'm only 28 and shouldn't have lung pain and heart palpitations trying to get into bed each night. It's been 3 months so far and I notice a huge different and not only in my health and breathing, in my wallet too.