AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Films and books with OW/YM

fiorinda is offline Senior Member

Films and books with OW/YM

Over on the OM/YW forum there's a thread discussing films and books depicting OM/YW relationships. There are a lot. Many of the classics show this, because historically it was commonplace. Lots of films show it, even when it's not part of the plot (we all know Hollywood regularly gives middle aged actors screen love interests in their 20s!).

What about films and books that show positive depictions of relationships between OW/YM? I'm not talking about things like The Graduate.

One of my favourite films is Harold and Maud, which if you haven't seen it, shows the unfolding relationship between a VYM and quite an elderly woman.

I bet there aren't many!!
    felixthecat2014, LunaLove and Ant like this.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

LunaLove is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiorinda View Post
    Over on the OM/YW forum there's a thread discussing films and books depicting OM/YW relationships. There are a lot. Many of the classics show this, because historically it was commonplace. Lots of films show it, even when it's not part of the plot (we all know Hollywood regularly gives middle aged actors screen love interests in their 20s!).

What about films and books that show positive depictions of relationships between OW/YM? I'm not talking about things like The Graduate.

One of my favourite films is Harold and Maud, which if you haven't seen it, shows the unfolding relationship between a VYM and quite an elderly woman.

I bet there aren't many!!
    Loved Harold and Maude, own it on DVD. :-)

Here are three for us older ladies. Nothing quite as extreme as Harold and Maude but all are older women / much younger man romances and all are portrayed in a more positive light. All are / were also available on Netflix streaming. I enjoyed them as well and recommend them. In fact watching these helped convince me to stay with my younger man.

A period piece:

Hmm, only allowed one video per post so I'll do the others separately.
    Last edited by LunaLove; 04-26-2016 at 12:34 PM.
    fiorinda likes this.

A comedy:

fiorinda likes this.

And to round it out, a drama:

Angel is offline Anger Thrives In A Fool
    The Proposal:

Tate (Bullock) is 37 and Paxton (Reynolds) is 26. The age difference is briefly referenced in the movie, but it's not a major part of the plot.

there before the threshold, I saw a brighter world beyond myself

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Slow Worm is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. There do not seem to be many that are straightforward positive depictions of an uncomplicated relationship.

The first novels to come to mind featuring OW/YM relationships or attractions feature them as either unsuccessful in some way or as occurring in fraught contexts.

Crime novels seem to tend to be either unflattering or discouraging. Agatha Christie (in 'By the pricking of my thumbs') depicts a predatory YW seducing a rich elderly woman. Dorothy L Sayers does little better. In a subplot to 'Gaudy Night' a YM is smitten by an OW who has no interest in him. In her 'Busmans' Honeymoon' there is another predatory YM faking love to get at an OW's money.

Several feminist-inspired novelists from the mid 1960's to the 1980's (e.g. Margaret Drabble, Deena McClarren, Dulcie Domum) seem to have taken up the theme of middle-aged women engaging in OW/YM relationships after either leaving or being left by their husbands. These are sometimes depicted as positive in the sense of being liberating for the woman involved, as revolutionary steps or as defiance of stereotypes. However they are rarely straightforward and often do not last, ending in everything from amicable separations thanking each other for helping each other grow, through to sordid conflicts between mother and daughter over the same man. McClarren's 'Your Loving Mother' might claim something of a record as three or four characters are at various times in OW/YM relationships (in one case their ages are not clear) plus one OM/YW affair occurring. There is one such that is generally positive, but I can't recall the author - back after some research ......

SW

theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    There's a movie that was released recently called Hello, My Name Is Doris.

The Rebound. The age difference is referenced as 15 years, with the YM being 25 making Zeta-Jones' character 40.

I linked this in another thread and liked the movie, but I don't remember it now! I guess I need to see if I can find it and watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    The Rebound. The age difference is referenced as 15 years, with the YM being 25 making Zeta-Jones' character 40.

I linked this in another thread and liked the movie, but I don't remember it now! I guess I need to see if I can find it and watch it again.

This is also one of the three I linked just above. The other two have wider age differences, but all three of these involve much younger men who fall deeply in love with older women who love them back.

I verified that all three of these movies, including The Rebound are still available on Netflix streaming. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by theREALTrish View Post
    There's a movie that was released recently called Hello, My Name Is Doris.
    Doesn't seem like it's a romance really, however it does look cute and will be nice to see Sally Fields. I'll enjoy this I'm sure. :-)

Really want to watch My Name is Doris and Cherie now! The Proposal looks like fun fluff. Didn't fancy The Rebound (can't stand CZJ!!) and the one about the 2 friends and their sons made me feel queasy!!

Thanks people!

Aaaaand... none of those films are available on Netflix in the UK! Except of course the 2 I DON'T want to watch!!
    Angel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLove View Post
    This is also one of the three I linked just above. The other two have wider age differences, but all three of these involve much younger men who fall deeply in love with older women who love them back.

I verified that all three of these movies, including The Rebound are still available on Netflix streaming. :-)

Ah, I didn't look at the previous posts. Odd Even had bumped a post from 2012 where I had listed the movie in that one so I just added here without looking. I may have to revisit the movie since it is on Netflix.

Fiorinda, both movies I listed would be your RomCom genre, which is one of my preferred genres. I'll have to consider period pieces, another favorite genre of mine and see if any spring to mind.

Really want to watch My Name is Doris and Cherie now! The Proposal looks like fun fluff. Didn't fancy The Rebound (can't stand CZJ!!) and the one about the 2 friends and their sons made me feel queasy!!

Thanks people!
    Don't let the trailer of Adore throw you. Read reviews, it's a good movie. Mainly about an older woman and younger man who fall deeply in love. The fact that her friend and son also end up in a relationship is kind of incidental. It's all very original and handled rather well. :-)

Harold and Maude actually made me squirm more than this did. ;-)

Slow Worm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Worm View Post
    There is one such that is generally positive, but I can't recall the author - back after some research .....
    Found it - 'Around the Houses' by Amanda Boulter, 2002
    fiorinda likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast