AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Thread: Age gap Taboo, have the attitudes reversed?

Corsair is offline Member

Age gap Taboo, have the attitudes reversed?

Regardless of what society likes to claim it seems there is always an acceptance in shaming or not tolerating a certain group or lifestyle choice.

I am wondering if in today's society it has become more acceptable for a woman to be with a younger man than it is for a man to be with a younger woman? I feel that men are often seen as sexual predators and that the older man x younger woman combination makes people feel uneasy as they see the man as manipulating the woman in some respect.

What are your thoughts, do you feel it is the same regardless of which gender is older or do you feel you are accepted regardless of which gender/age status you are?

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    I think that any age gap relationship is suspect in the eyes of society. People cannot believe that people who are 15, 20 or 30 years apart could genuinely love each other and establish a family. I suppose that the "predator" label is applied depending on the age of the younger partner. Being 18 is not necessarily equivalent to being mature enough to have a relationship based on equality. On the other hand being 40 or 60 is no guarantee of maturity either. At one point one has to say to heck with what society accepts and just be happy.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

Pickles is offline Senior Member
    Though there has been a slight relaxing of society, it is still an orientation/choice that is not given a lot of support.
    And it still leans favor towards older men with younger women being a free pass (as long the female is not teen) as opposed to the poor guy with old bag *sigh.

One just has to clinch the teeth and present their jaw. The heck with the unwritten rules, long as we are not hurting anyone else, our affections are our business!
    My family with a mild eruption of teasing at first was much more accepting and calmed quicker than his.
    Daisypath Friendship tickers
    ............Unexpected pleasures are sweetest

Corsair is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Though there has been a slight relaxing of society, it is still an orientation/choice that is not given a lot of support.
    And it still leans favor towards older men with younger women being a free pass (as long the female is not teen) as opposed to the poor guy with old bag *sigh.

One just has to clinch the teeth and present their jaw. The heck with the unwritten rules, long as we are not hurting anyone else, our affections are our business!
    My family with a mild eruption of teasing at first was much more accepting and calmed quicker than his.
    You really think the older man still gets a pass? I think male sexuality is being shamed in general and that an older man with a younger woman would be seen as predatory.

I think age gaps do tend to "gross" people out though.