AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Slow Worm
  • 1 Post By Corsair
  • 1 Post By HDAntenna
  • 1 Post By Corsair

Thread: Age Gap Relationship Article

whiterose is offline Administrator

Age Gap Relationship Article

Slow Worm is offline Senior Member
    Twaddle. When the article started with gossip about pop and film celebrities, I suspected the rest might be no better. I found I was I was right.

"Were Still Worried About Age Gap Relationships". We are not "still" worried, she and perhaps a few others have become so recently. Maggiore goes on to refer to OM-YW AGR's which have been a familiar and accepted part of Western (and other) cultures for a very long time, not a cause for worry at all.

"Its hard for people to imagine an age gap relationship existing without a conditional reason". If anyone at all has thought that about Ann and I they have managed to keep very quite about it: we have never come upon anyone suggesting anything of the sort.

"Onlookers also get uncomfortable when they compare age gap relationships to parent-child relationships". There is no comparison to make. If Maggiore thinks there is she should explain what she means, not hint at the idea then move on.

"people in age gap relationships face these stereotypes". Only in silly articles like this. I have never encountered them in real life. In 26 years together we have only once met anyone who objected to our relationship to our faces. He was a Christian with a specific objection to OW-YM marriages, which he felt involved breaking the biblical command to multiply in that OW-YM couples had fewer children than same-age or OM-YW ones. (He was particualrly irritated that we were not planning to have new children at all, as he also believed that only those planning to multiply should marry).

" gap relationships remain controversial". As above, OM-YW ones might have become so in Chicago, but if so that is recent, not something which "remains". OW-YM AGR's could be controversial to conservatives who see them as challenging patriarchal ideologies, or those concerned about 'multiplying' like the man we met described above, but not really to anyone else.

"Maggiore is a journalist and teacher". The latter is a bit worrying.

"Her writing mainly pertains to pop culture and entertainment". I am not at all surprised.

On investigating, it turned out that the recent research mentioned (here: https://www.toddkshackelford.com/dow...-PAID-2018.pdf) was in fact an attitude survey which had asked participants only about views concerning a single hypothetical OM-YW relationship "roughly one generation apart". Participants were not asked anything about OW-YM relationships. Maggiore is overgeneralising in claiming that the research refers to beliefs about AGR's in general.

The research method limited the validity of the data. The survey was conducted online using participants sourced through 'Mechanical Turk', a website where people are paid small sums (in this case US$1.50 for a survey lasting 30mins) for responding to surveys. Such surveys draw upon a probably unrepresentative sampling frame composed of people willing to answer surveys for US$3.00/hour. It is not clear whether the sampling frame was resticted to any geographical area or whether participants might have been anywhere in the world: if it was a global survey than a sample size of 401 is far too small to be useful, if it had a geographical limit then this should be made clear. Participants were asked to allocate numerical values to emotive responses (akin to asking 'on a scale of one to ten, how happy are you'). This method generates plastic interval data which is always of dubious validity and needs treating with caution. Maggiore does not draw any attention to the limitations of this source.

SW
    Inamorata likes this.

Corsair is offline Member
    I think people have become too politically correct. They are obsessed with the idea of "Fairness". To these people, one person being much older than the other (especially if it's an older man with a younger woman) is just some form of exploitation.

Oddly enough it would be these same people who like to crap on about homophobia and other types of discrimination as well as individual empowerment and freedom.
    HDAntenna likes this.

HDAntenna is offline Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    I think people have become too politically correct. They are obsessed with the idea of "Fairness". To these people, one person being much older than the other (especially if it's an older man with a younger woman) is just some form of exploitation.

Oddly enough it would be these same people who like to crap on about homophobia and other types of discrimination as well as individual empowerment and freedom.
    I have pretty much the same opinion about those things you do.
    Corsair likes this.

Corsair is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HDAntenna View Post
    I have pretty much the same opinion about those things you do.
    It's just really amusing that they go on about shaming and homophobia and yet now it seems ok to shame age gap relationships. It's like society always needs something to kick around. And this time it is the very people who claim to be open minded. But we know they aren't.
    HDAntenna likes this.

HDAntenna is offline Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    It's just really amusing that they go on about shaming and homophobia and yet now it seems ok to shame age gap relationships. It's like society always needs something to kick around. And this time it is the very people who claim to be open minded. But we know they aren't.
    I guess there is a point that society will always have someone to hate.