AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

View Poll Results: Should the "Discussion & Debate" forum be reinstated?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would love to participate in such forum!

17 60.71%
  • No, discussing and debating will not add value to Ageless

7 25.00%
  • No comment, meaning I'm completely indifferent to the idea

4 14.29%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Should a "Discussion & Debate" forum be reinstated?

whiterose is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by truckman View Post
    Very cool WhiteRose, I'm sure it will be appreciated by many.

If I may reiterate, you may wish to create this forum in a private manner whereas if someone is not logged into AgelessLove, they don't see the heading, subcategories and posts.

This will keep google, yahoo and other search engines from working through the posts and asssociating whatever goes on there with your domain name.

This way the search engines will continue to equate AgelessLove with age gap relationship support and not attract zealots.

Thanks for listening!
    Well, we haven't worked out the details yet, but that's how it was done the last time in the old Discussion section and would be something we'd do again in the event it is a section that is viewable by all members.

I'm really leaning that way, rather than having an area where only those who want to participate can view it. The problem is that I really like the suggestion someone made about only allowing those to participate who have X number of posts and have been a member here X period of time. We'll have to figure out how to do that first.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInWaiting View Post
    I think that one of the biggest problems of the old Discussion and Debate forum was that Discussion only required that you be logged on and it was the Debate section that required *unlocking* or what have you. Most of the *pot stirrers* and *fine line skirters* tended to stay in Discussion, where the poo they threw was out there for the logged on community to see. Debate was pretty sedate actually...well...after a couple of very brief skirmishes. I know of one person that got called out for acting like a brat and went whining to the mods about being picked on and ended up being put in *time out*. Since you had to actively search out debate, and could get told off if you were out of line..it rather died off due to lack of use. I think putting Discussion and Debate under the rules for the last incarnation of Debate such as:

no profanity
    no threats
    no whining
    what happens in debate stays in debate (off the other boards AND pm's)
    and the other couple of items

That should pretty much take care of providing a place to post about more serious and/or controversial subjects without subjecting the rest of the community with the *trolls* and rabble rousers that used to get threads shut down. Also, since the political soapboxers can have a few verbal tomatoes tossed right back at them, and they can't whine about being picked on because their opinion is *unpopular* .... perhaps alot less drama for those involved (particularly the poor mods).

My only gripe has been the tossing about of the term "debate". I am awful at honest to god, marshall your arguements, site your sources, keep it intellectual not emotional ... real debates. The kind the teacher put you in teams, gave you a topic and told you whether you were pro or con for the aforementioned topic. (I got put on the "pro" side of a very hot topic...of which I was personally against...and got fried for my trouble. Fortunately the hostile feelings didn't leave the classroom. And my team got a respectable B-).

I enjoyed following some the few *real* debates that cropped up..amazed and grateful to the posters and their well-phrased, insightful and thought-provoking comments. When asked to clarify or support their stance, they did so. No "That's MY opinion and I am entitled to it and nothing is changing my [closed] mind".

There are two people that posted often that I totally disagree with. But I respect the way that they get their point across without insulting anyone that disagrees with them. (including the occasionally salty comment or a phrase dripping sarcasm..at the idealogy, not the person commenting) I could NEVER get in a debate with them...I cannot order my thoughts in such a clear, understandable manner...much less not ramble (example: this post LOL ). I think I could "discuss" the matter: these are my feelings about this subject...when this and that, I feel thus and so... but dig up facts to refute another position? sheesh I can't spell check worth a hill of beans!

So, bring it on. And hopefully, being "tucked in a corner, out of sight" will keep the non-debaters happy too.

Good luck to all
    If what I'm thinking of will work, I'd like to have discussion and debate back in one section. Members would have to explain in their first post if they are starting a debate thread or a discussion thread. If they don't specify then it is assumed it is a discussion. There truly is a difference. Not all discussions are debates. And not everyone wants to debate an issue or have to go search for sources to back their opinion. So, we're trying to figure out how to make it the best of both worlds.

Any thoughts on that?

truckman Guest
    WhiteRose....

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/

Before you think I just told you to RTF, on the left is a column of things to choose, on the right is what comes up after you click.

Click "user ranks"
    Click "usergroups and permissions"
    Click "forums and moderators" then forum permissions.

The three apparently intertwine for vbulletin. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I'm sure we'll figure it out. We also have a tech admin who can help us if we need her to. But, I appreciate the info.

tinydancer Guest
    Bless You Kat and JoJo!!!

eponavet is offline Senior Member
    Any news on the D&D section?
    ~ You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars. You have a right to be here, and whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the Universe is unfolding as it should ~

Angel is offline Anger Thrives In A Fool
    Quote Originally Posted by eponavet View Post
    Any news on the D&D section?
    Katrina's modem is down. As soon as she's back online I'm sure her & Jo will start working on it.
    there before the threshold, I saw a brighter world beyond myself

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

My modem was not only down, it was drowned. I spilled about 32 ounces of crystal light on it. But I'm back in business.

Jody and I were going to get together last weekend and work on this, but we weren't able to connect. I'll get in touch with her again and if she and I continue to miss each other, I'll see if she's ok with me moving forward with it without her.

grumpysgirl Guest
    Welcome back WR ...I HATE it when the modem goes BOOM BAH

I am SO looking forward to a D and D disscussion...*PRAYS*

Ok, the new discussion/debate area is up and running. I'll post a general announcement about it, but wanted to make sure those of you who participated on this thread were aware.

I set it so that people with 30 posts or more will be allowed to post there. I also tried to set it so that you have to be a member here for 30 days as well, but not sure if I've done it correctly. We'll see.

I've posted a thread explaining the rules. While feedback to me is welcome via PM, I really am not going to debate (no pun intended) these rules. If this is going to work, Jody and I both feel that we have to have a moderated forum. We feel it's the best way to ensure that everyone feels comfortable posting there.

Link to new discussion/debate area rules

grumpysgirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterose View Post
    ok, The New Discussion/debate Area Is Up And Running. I'll Post A General Announcement About It, But Wanted To Make Sure Those Of You Who Participated On This Thread Were Aware.

I Set It So That People With 30 Posts Or More Will Be Allowed To Post There. I Also Tried To Set It So That You Have To Be A Member Here For 30 Days As Well, But Not Sure If I've Done It Correctly. We'll See.

I've Posted A Thread Explaining The Rules. While Feedback To Me Is Welcome Via Pm, I Really Am Not Going To Debate (no Pun Intended) These Rules. If This Is Going To Work, Jody And I Both Feel That We Have To Have A Moderated Forum. We Feel It's The Best Way To Ensure That Everyone Feels Comfortable Posting There.

link To New Discussion/debate Area Rules
    Fantastic!!

tinydancer Guest
    Thank you Kat and JoJo...I'll behave

last1standing is offline illegitimi noncarborundum
    Quote Originally Posted by tinydancer View Post
    I'll behave
    Darn.

People who are sensible about love are incapable of it -- Douglas Yates

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789