AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Agelesslove was hacked

Bob's babydoll is offline Love is patient...
    wow, that sucks that ageless was hacked! I went here on Saturday and saw the message. Of all the low down, dirty things for someone to do!

Glad to see the site is up and running again and I hope everything will return to normal soon.

Jody<3 is offline Registered member
    Oh yes, sorry I wasn't more clear. They scrambled our email addresses, not everyone's email address, in the system.
    What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

NY10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jody<3 View Post
    Oh yes, sorry I wasn't more clear. They scrambled our email addresses, not everyone's email address, in the system.
    No problem I just wanted to make sure.

cuteguy37048 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    "theadmin"
    I assume you mean the Root Admin. Or at least that is what some call themselves to designate that they are the end-all be-all of the admins in that not only they are admins but they own the site as well.

Being Root is fun. lol It's fun to drop the ban-hammer on unruly kids and randomly edit their posts for the sake of humor. lol

I had too much fun as Root back in the day.

Well, she meant the gentleman who has the actual name "theadmin" on the site, and yes, he represents the owners of the site.

The moderation staff takes care of the day to day running of the site such as banning members or editing posts, but when it is something bigger than that, especially like this last episode, we definitely turn towards "theadmin".

I would like to thank him so much for clearing up this problem with the site being hacked, which I know was not easy.
    What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

LADave is offline Born 200 years too late

Bugs

I had a couple of bugs come up after I changed my password.

1) The "Remember Me" feature hasn't worked for me since the security upgrade.

2) I tried putting up a post last night, kind of a long one, and the post didn't take. I got a screen that said to the effect "you are not logged in."

Has this kind of thing happened to other members, or is it just random glitches? Hmmm . . .
    "You've got to dance like nobody's watching, and love like it's never going to hurt."--Anon

Fae
    Fae is offline Senior Member
    In the heart of My Sweet Man ... for he is my heart.
    Hi Dave,

I haven't had a problem with the 1st issue you listed.

I have had the same thing happen regarding your 2nd issue and it was before this site was hacked. I've found that if I type a long post and hit submit I get the same message that you stated. I think it probably has to do with the length of time it took to write the post and the site sees you as idle so it times you out. I have found though if you hit your back button, the post will still be there. I open another window, sign back in to ageless, go to the thread I wanted to reply to, hit reply and then copy my post from the other window into the new reply window. Works for me, I hope it works for you too!
    The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them" ~Thomas Merton~

NY10 is offline Senior Member
    I've also had a problem with the 2nd issue, but like Fae before the site was hacked, I'd be viewing a page and then when I clicked something else, or hit refresh I would be logged out, I believe it has to do with the time it takes to go through each page or to write a response, nothing to do with what happened.

Donna Guest

changed my password thank you Katrina

January 20, 2010

Eeek. I am not very literate with computers. I asked for help to change my password. Thank you Katrina it is changed.

Donna

Sweetie28 is offline Mark's girl
    I saw that when it got hacked and thought something was off. I make a habit of never giving out personal information unless I'm sure the place is legit, and I just thought it smelled of a phishing scheme. I'm glad that AL was able to get it under control before the hackers did real damage. I've seen hackers get to other sites, it's always rather bad during the summer.

LADave is offline Born 200 years too late
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie28 View Post
    I saw that when it got hacked and thought something was off. I make a habit of never giving out personal information unless I'm sure the place is legit, and I just thought it smelled of a phishing scheme. I'm glad that AL was able to get it under control before the hackers did real damage. I've seen hackers get to other sites, it's always rather bad during the summer.
    Part of me wanted to help AL with its server bill, but the larger part smelled something phishy. A day or two before the "server bill" gimmick went up, I received an email supposedly from the admins, "inviting" me to join a group called "Faithful Men." The e-mail provided a link to click on. Do I click on links in unusual e-mails?
    "You've got to dance like nobody's watching, and love like it's never going to hurt."--Anon

truckman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LADave View Post
    1) The "Remember Me" feature hasn't worked for me since the security upgrade.

2) I tried putting up a post last night, kind of a long one, and the post didn't take. I got a screen that said to the effect "you are not logged in."
    Both issues can be resolved by deleting the cookie associated with this website. The new version of vbulletin (which was part of the upgrade) made minor changes to the cookie structure, and depending on your browser it can adapt or it barfs.

Deleting the cookie allows your browser to create a new one precisely as the new vbulletin software asks.

Regarding the "faithful men" group, I got that as well, that weird URL translates to : http://otakusource.com/help.html and asks for credit card information. I included the link for the benefit of the ageless admins and I ask that you do not click it - it has nothing to do with ageless and instead was sent out by someone pretending to be an administrator of ageless.

This invite was sent out by host.agelesslove.com (72.52.168.88), the domain name used by ageless' hosting provider for the cpanel host management system. It's on the same subnet as agelesslove.com (72.52.168.90), so we can conclude the email originated from ageless hosted on liquidweb, their ISP.

That doesn't mean that our admin staff sent that message - based on the funkyness of the headers in that email I strongly believe it indicates that ageless was compromised on or before 1/15/2010, the date of that email.

Anyway, the site (otakusource.com) we were referred to in order to collect credit card information is owned and managed by :

** Details removed at request of site owner. Long abandoned site has been taken down. **

Here is the site profile for otakusource.com:

http://www.talkreviews.com/otakusource.com (notice the sudden traffic increase in December on)

http://otakusource.com is a firefox-only anime streaming site.

One of two things happened. The site was compromised also, and the hackers used his credit card authorization scripts to collect funds from ageless members who clicked the link and followed the instructions, believing they were helping out Agless.

The second possibility is that ******** were the hackers. Considering all the hits for him, his website, and their combined relationship to web development, that is a valid possibility. Fact? No, but a possibility.

Once I saw the URL in the email, I assumed it to be bogus and inserted that domain and IP address into my firewall with the DENY option. It cannot see me or my server farm, and I cannot see it.

hope that helps.
    Last edited by theadmin; 09-09-2010 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Removed personal details of site owner that claims he was also hacked. Abandoned site has been taken down by owner.

Sweetie28 is offline Mark's girl
    I got that e-mail to about Faithful Men and thought "That's really weird." I saw petfinder get hacked one summer, someone wrote a bunch of Arabic on the site for like two days. It was pretty bad, I think servers might be kind of vurnerable to hacking. My hubby told me most viruses, well statistically, are invented by thirteen-year-old boys! I'm glad Ageless caught the hacker's as these guys can get pretty clever in how they go about things. It really to me is sad and annoying, but it's the nature of the Internet, I suppose.

Wow truckman! Thats amazing detective work.

Just thought I would mention the otakusource address was also the address on the fake log-in screen which I believe I ented my log-in information to.

Well, at least I won't fall for that one again...*sigh*
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

southrnboysgirl Guest
    truckie, NO ONE could ever say they wouldn't feel safe if you were around

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast