AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Why is this drug still legal?

catlover is offline Senior Member
    well i for one appreciate the agreeableness-at least on my threads. I'm heartbroken, cried so hard my eyes are bruised.

and again I thank you all. Of course everyone has a right to their opinion. I don't think anyone has the right to belittle someone else's grief however. No one at this site did that, and I respect all of you for it

TrueHeart Guest
    I think the reason we are all in agreement is because catlover's kitty is looking down from heaven and sending rays of sunshine to us all.

trueheart-you just brought a smile to my face
    thank you

MerAlove23 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaLove
    Tell me about it! I am amazed that tobacco, something that has killed MILLIONS is legal; and marijuana, something that doesn't kill, is illegal. It's all mixed up!
    i agree.... It's a killer.. I've lost so many family members from it and losing one who is 40 years old , never smoked a day in her life, dying of lung cancer because of her parents smoking in front of her.. Second hand smoking is a KILLER!!

gyz77 Guest

Ban tobacco and you should ban cars

My wife of 18 months was killed by a man who ran a red light and hit us broad side ( her side, I was driving) at 75MPH. He was in a pick up and we were in a VW Jetta. I now drive a Ford Excursion. That was over 2 1/2 years ago and I am just now learning to live again. The truth is we never know what is going to kill us. I know that sounds bad, but I don't think very many of us are going to die of natural causes at age 99. It's just the way the world is. It will either be some kind of cancer or an auto accident. I do understand your pain. I have lost family to tobacco use. But my wife was 22 when she died and we were health nuts so to speak. I do agree with earlier post that it would just create a huge black market. You will just have to be ready when it is your time, GYZ

Bodhi Tree Guest
    I'm a smoker since I was 14. About five years ago, I quit with the help of a doctor who prescribed a medication which cost 85 (100 $) a box.

I spent 2 years without smoking a single cigarette and my life changed.

I thought that I had won the battle, but 2 years ago, after a sad and stressful event, I lit up one cigarette, then smoked just one from time to time, and needless to say, I became hooked again.

At the time when I took the medication, I was able to afford the 85 a box. Now I cannot. I tried to quit without any help and my life turned into hell. I gained weight, I became a pain in the neck, lost my job, trembled and had awful cramps. I tried to remain determined but becmame a mess.

What I wonder sometimes is, why does health insurence pay for illnesses related to smoking and DO NOT cover medications that help poeple to quit ? 85 for a medication would cost them so much less than hundreds of thousnads spent on each illness caused by tobacco.

Now I'm trying to quit with the help of a book. I saw many around me quit after reading it. I hope that it'll work for me.

Loucine,
    I wish you good luck with the book! It is bizarre that insurance will pay for the damage done, but not for the stuff to help you quit.

My employer is gradually moving towards a plan where people who engage in risk behavior (smoking is at the top of the list) will have to pay a higher premium--and even if the employee doesn't do it, if their dependents do, the premium will rise

BellaLove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by catlover
    Loucine,
    I wish you good luck with the book! It is bizarre that insurance will pay for the damage done, but not for the stuff to help you quit.
    It's amazing isn't it?!! The good ol' drug administration is making BANK off us! There is no way they would cover something that HELPS YOU....they want us to all be sick so we turn around and take pills that DON'T help us but only make us sicker in the long run. I am actually AMAZED that my employer signed us up with a Chase Insurance that covers anything from herbs to Chiropractors.....it doens't make sense really because these are all things that will hopefully keep me OUT of the doctors office.....go figure.

Imagine the loss in revenue if people were healthy!

lencarol Guest
    Hear, hear catlover! The health care costs are staggering concerning the little white weed. My mother succombed about 10 years ago to 3 packs/day. Lung cancer, which spread everywhere before she decided to get any help. Far reaching impact by just one person.

I am sad for your loss, and believe I mentioned loss of my dear kitty of 18 years.

BellaLove, don't think we can use Bush anymore to disagree on, as just about everyone fed up with him! Maybe we could argue about how sweet and wonderful Cindy Sheehan isn't!!

Quote Originally Posted by lencarol
    Hear, hear catlover! The health care costs are staggering concerning the little white weed. My mother succombed about 10 years ago to 3 packs/day. Lung cancer, which spread everywhere before she decided to get any help. Far reaching impact by just one person. p
    lencarol, if I understand your statement you are pointing to the fact that your mother's death affected many people? If this is true, I think you are in agreement with what I initially tried to express--

it may be the individuals own life, but what he or she does with it impacts (and harms) many others. While I didn't suffer the physical anguish of my parents illnesses and deaths, I did suffer in that I no longer have my family, and my brother suffered terribly emotionally as he was the one who had to take care of them both during their final illnesses, as my mother was too ill when my dad was dying to be able to do anything. We haven't been close as adults, but when I do see him I can see the anguish still in his eyes. Elderly they may have been, but the life expectancy of 79 for women and 76 for men (or whatever it is) is an average--roughly half (since the median is often close to the mean) live longer.

lencarol Guest
    Yes, I agree totally, catlover.

sheila,

of course, you are right. it (the topic title) is a rhetorical question-I know why it is still legal

kat7 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi Tree
    I'm a smoker since I was 14. About five years ago, I quit with the help of a doctor who prescribed a medication which cost 85 (100 $) a box.

I spent 2 years without smoking a single cigarette and my life changed.

I thought that I had won the battle, but 2 years ago, after a sad and stressful event, I lit up one cigarette, then smoked just one from time to time, and needless to say, I became hooked again.

At the time when I took the medication, I was able to afford the 85 a box. Now I cannot. I tried to quit without any help and my life turned into hell. I gained weight, I became a pain in the neck, lost my job, trembled and had awful cramps. I tried to remain determined but becmame a mess.

What I wonder sometimes is, why does health insurence pay for illnesses related to smoking and DO NOT cover medications that help poeple to quit ? 85 for a medication would cost them so much less than hundreds of thousnads spent on each illness caused by tobacco.

Now I'm trying to quit with the help of a book. I saw many around me quit after reading it. I hope that it'll work for me.
    Aline, my heart goes out to you. I am a former smoker. I had a very hard time giving it up....in fact, I used to think I would never be able to. But finally I did, and thank heavens I did because I now have asthma and it would be awful if I smoked on top of it. Most of the time, it's under control thankfully.

Weight gain is just part of the deal with stoping smoking for most of us. They say stoping smoking is like taking 50 pounds off in terms of the workload on your heart, so from a cardiac standpoint, you can afford to gain a little!

I know for myself if I smoke even one cigarette, I'd be smoking a pack a day tomorrow.......I'm a total addict. So I just can never touch them again, end of story.

We have a saying in my clinic however....if you can afford to smoke, you can afford the medication to quit. Seems harsh, but is most likely true. If you give up the cigarettes, you'll have the money you shelled out for the medicine in no time. But I had as hard a time as ever quitting and had similar symptoms to what you describe.....but guess what? When I finally made the absolute decision to quit, I had three annoying days and that was it....and I didn't use anything.....I just quit. You can do it too!!! You really can. LOVE YOURSELF FIRST!!!!!!

nice post Kat

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast