AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Why is this drug still legal?

kat7 is offline Senior Member

thanks catlover

that was 12 years ago btw.

and i forgot to mention that there is a non-profit called "Ignite" if you know any teenagers that would like to fight the battle against smoking. just google it and you'll find it. it was started by a teenager in kentucky who was sick of big tobacco influencing young people to smoke. there are "ignite" groups in most states.

Peachy is offline Lost in Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi Tree
    What I wonder sometimes is, why does health insurence pay for illnesses related to smoking and DO NOT cover medications that help poeple to quit ?
    That probably falls under the same section where they pay for the pregnancy and the well-baby care, but not for the birth control (at least they didn't use to, I think they may have gotten smart and do pay for it now) or the fact that they pay for fillings but not the sealants that will prevent the cavities in the first place.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but to slide in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW . . . What a ride!"

freespirit Guest
    Kat thats what i did....just got up one day and decided, after a number of failed attempts, that not smoking wouldn't kill me....like I wasn't going to die if I didn't have one....but that smoking certainly would. I was having trouble breathing especially at the gym which had never been a problem before, So I just stopped....but I had to also stop hanging round with anyone at all who smoked, going to places where smoking was ok, lots of self talk, drinking heaps of water so i spent most of my time in the loo...after a couple of weeks the cravings passed....but even now if I am in a crowded bar and the band is playing and everyone is talking, laughing, drinking, smoking....gawd I could almost cry its such a strong desire to light up...but like Kat I know if I have just one then all the self talk will start again....I will be a "social smoker", I won't buy any just smoke every one elses.....its the worst addiction....but it feels good to have beaten it....

you have to do it for you though....no-one could have made me....I think for me smoking was an act of defiance....absolutely no-one in my family smoked...except my grandfather....87 died of lung cancer...I was his favourite so there was comraderie, pleasure and a "try and stop me" attitude in there....if I wanted to get freudian on my own **** I could have a field day.....

its great now, my hair is clean, my skin is clean, my eyes are bright....you don't realise until you stop how good it feels to not do it....

Bodhi Tree Guest
    Thank you Kat for your post, I know I shoudn't have lit that one cigarette and I know I MUST quit.

You're right about cigarettes being more expensive in the long run than the medication. But you see, I can't even afford cigarettes, so I roll up my own. I know it's stupid, I know that if I was really determined to quit, I would find ways, but my life is so incredibly stressful right now, that I don't think I can handle the weight of quitting on top of everything.

The time will come when I will be able to, and that is VERY soon. I hope.

I have no idea what the solution is to rid people of this awful drug. It's a huge industry that profits lots of people and kills millions.

When you think that they purposely add chemicals to get people hooked

Supposedly I smoke only pure tobacco, and I know its bulls***.

aaaanyway.......

MerAlove23 Guest
    Aline..

I used the Patch when I quit smoking.. I only used step 1 and 2 by the third step I did it on my own.... At the same tiime I went on a diet LOL... I joined Jenny Craig because of the effects of gaining weight... but go on Weight Watchers or something like that..... just while you quit.....I did get irritable, tired, and completely rude sometimes LOL...... but I fought every urge I had... You just need to be strong and willpower .......Do you have any non smoking friends that can be your coach or mentor?? That always helps to have a partner.. My husband was mine he didn't smoke and he and my family helped me thru the rough times..... Also I stayed VERY FAR away from alchol I didn't drink I hardly even went out .. and I stayed FAR FAR FAR away from other smokers.....

Good Luck.... I do hope you kick the habit .. Youd id once you will again.

I quit years ago and when My Fiance Died I started again.. Now i'm smoke free for 4 years...

Bodhi Tree Guest
    Nicotine patches are terribly expensive also. I tried those, but they didn't do much for me. As soon as I diminished the doze, my terrible urge to smoke came back.

Unfortunately almost everyone that I know smokes. That's how I lit that one cigarette.

To stay away from smokers means becoming a hermit for at least 3 months, which I did the last time that I quit.

You're right about the alcohol, fortunately I only drink occasionally, so that has never been a problem for, me.

I'll certainly find a way, I'm just not too motivated to quit right now because of all the stress.

Congratulations to you Mer!! . It takes a lot of strong will to quit. Non smokers do not understand that, they're not supposed to because they haven't experienced the horrors of giving up an addiction. Good for them, I wish I had never gotten myself into this mess since the beginning.

whiterose is offline Administrator
    Aline, I would think it would be even more difficult to stop smoking in Europe because smoking seems to go on in public much more than here in the U.S. I was very surprised at all the second hand smoking I was exposed to while travelling through various countries. I saw smoking in places that it's just not allowed anymore here in the U.S.

I can go for weeks here without being exposed to smoking. But, when I went to Amsterdam or Bucharest, for example, I found that the smoke just hung in the air in public places, just like it used to be here in the U.S.

MerAlove23 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi Tree
    N
    Congratulations to you Mer!! . It takes a lot of strong will to quit. Non smokers do not understand that, they're not supposed to because they haven't experienced the horrors of giving up an addiction. Good for them, I wish I had never gotten myself into this mess since the beginning.

THANK YOU!! your right though .. Non smokers that never smoked before don't know how really difficult it is.... I tried for at least 5 years until I was successful.....It's very difficult.....

bubbleee Guest
    Catlover,

You have my sympathy and understanding. My mom and dad both smoked. My dad quit at 60 years old but died at 72 from complications of diabetes. Smoking was a big contributor to his heart damage. My mom was diagnosed with Stage II lung cancer last Fall at 73, but she is SOOOO lucky because she found it very very early. She had surgery to remove part of her lung, and did a brief round of chemo, and thus far she is in full and complete remission. She stopped smoking THANK GOD. But she's smoked heavily since the age of 17, and who knows if she will really make it all the way...

My one daughter took up smoking for awhile but stopped. She did it because her bf got her started. So both of my girls are non-smokers and I'm so glad for so many reasons.

I saw on the news last night that states in the US make something like 231,000,000 on cigarette taxes but only spend 550,000 on prevention. I think it's not illegal because it is far too profitable on many, many levels.

I just don't understand why kids even start now, knowing what we know about smoking!

lencarol Guest

Thumbs down

Texas must be the capitol of SmokeLand here in US, as I see it everywhere! I see many,many teens smoking here, is the cool and in-thing to do. Just was talking to the sweetest young healthy looking young woman yesterday, then found her out back smoking like a weed--so sad! Should have talked with her about what a beautiful woman my mother once was, until she hit about 35, and the smokes caught up with her, looked old beyond her years, skin and bones, wrinkled face, teeth falling out. She died too young--so tragic. I can always tell a woman who smokes just by looking. I find it very interesting that none of us siblings smokes, and rarely drink. Alcohol and tobacco go hand in hand for many addicts.

Jody<3 is offline Registered member
    Catlover...what an awful lot to go through with your parents. ((hugs)) That's just awful.

My dad currently has COPD and lives with me, so I know a bit of what you went through.

I guess what is the sickest thing about it all is the tremendous profit the tobacco companies have made over the years, at the expense of other's lives. Not that they forced them to smoke, of course. Now we know about the damage smoking causes, but I believe the tobacco companies knew long before that was all made public.

Why people take up smoking now, being fully aware of the implications, is something I don't get.
    What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

traddy Guest
    Hi Catlover,

My grandmother died of a heart attack four years ago. She was actually dying of emphysema, but suddenly had a massive heart attack when her breathing got worse. I wonder if she was so scared it caused her to have the heart attack. I'm so sorry you've lost so many to this addiction. It really is sad. I'm so thankful I never started smoking.

Bella_D Guest
    My smoking years were the happiest I've experienced in my life and I do not regret them...i just wish they could have gone without health consequences.
    I dropped a couple of dress sizes & experienced what it feels like to look as good as any movie star; good jobs were much easier to get, and people treated me better than I've better been treated in my life. It was never hard finding a guy, and I was mostly free of insecurity. Whether it was because of all this or the nicotine, I felt emotionally better than ever.

I let myself smoke over 8 years, with an 18 month break in between.

It was hard to give up all the benefits of being a smoker, but I realised it was all unsustainable in the long run.

It was like having a holiday from myself....being someone others regarded as super-special and desirable just because of a bit of weight loss.

I feel that I can live without people falling all over themselves to gawk at me now, but it was very tough. I lost friends, the good-will of employers, good treatment from people generally, and a guy I loved.

It was an eye opener and a learning experience, that for sure!
    Last edited by Bella_D; 08-12-2006 at 06:03 PM.

catlover is offline Senior Member
    Unbelievably, tobacco companies put chemicals in their cigarettes to make them even more addictive! About 50,000 Americans each year die from the effects of
    2nd hand smoke. My mother had emphysema and used a nebulizer for about 8-10years before my dad died--and he continued to smoke in the house-it was only once she was on oxygen 24/7 that he took it outside.

Lencarol you are right about what it does to ones appearance. My mothers sisters are attractive women, well into their 70's-with good skin--even despite health problems (one aunt has scelorderma (sp?) and the other suffers from shingles-both never smoked (or quit long before I was born). My mothers face was badly lined, the lines around her lips were very deep and numerous. Her back was hunched due to osteoperosis (exacerbated by calcium loss related to smoking). This started before she quit smoking at age 50.

I was always terrified I would end up looking like my mother, with the premature lines, the hunching. I never got them. I think I now look like what my mother WOULD have looked like in her 50's.

lencarol Guest
    Knowledge so important, and USING it even more important, as you have done catlover. My mother very tiny but never did get the hunching for some reason, straight as an arrow. Her mother did however, had to have hysterectomy very young in life and never took hormones--and smoked like a chimney, did not eat correctly, etc. She died young as well, early sixties. The women on my father's side, on the other hand, had beautiful skin into their 70s and 80s, with a twinkle in their eye and very beautiful dispositions. I remember my grandmother, in her mid90s,with alabaster skin and clear blue eyes, so beautiful. She was deaf as she could be, but otherwise enjoyed wonderful,vibrant health up til she died. Never smoked by the way!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast