AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Why is this drug still legal?

Rob Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bella_D

It was like having a holiday from myself....being someone others regarded as super-special and desirable just because of a bit of weight loss.

But on the other hand lots of people, like myself, couldn't spend that much time with someone who smokes purely because of the smell. The smell is NOT attractive, particularly on the breath!

lencarol Guest
    That is a real catch-22 for alot of women. Should I quit smoking and gain weight or keep smoking and be thin? I see and listen to these arguments from smokers every day. Is a sad plight, that you have to consider something SO unhealthy, just to remain thin. But thin is very important to many people, just for the reasons Bella_D mentioned, the accolades from others you receive. The big question is: Is it worth dying for?

There is a new drug out now for smoking cessation, called Chantix. They claim using it should not cause weight gain, don't know how that works, but I think is what it is claiming.

TrueHeart Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lencarol
    That is a real catch-22 for alot of women. Should I quit smoking and gain weight or keep smoking and be thin? I see and listen to these arguments from smokers every day. Is a sad plight, that you have to consider something SO unhealthy, just to remain thin. But thin is very important to many people, just for the reasons Bella_D mentioned, the accolades from others you receive. The big question is: Is it worth dying for?

There is a new drug out now for smoking cessation, called Chantix. They claim using it should not cause weight gain, don't know how that works, but I think is what it is claiming.
    I don't think continuing to smoke in order to avoid gaining weight is a rational choice for anyone. More often I think that gaining weight is an easy excuse for not quitting.

There are healthy ways to lose weight (or avoid gaining it). It's not necessary to smoke.
    Last edited by TrueHeart; 08-13-2006 at 01:07 PM.

lencarol Guest
    Of course, very true, True. Because smoking is such a hard addiction to overcome, I don't doubt people in general will use every excuse NOT to quit. But an addicted mind, not always a rational one in the area of health matters. I have heard some health and fitness programs (i.e. personal trainers) will not even take smokers or drinkers, because it is such a hindrance to any health progress. Well, I am not that radical, as I see nothing wrong with an occasional cigar after dinner or occasional drink, etc.

Changes in lifestyle SO hard to commit to and keep up. And anytime there is an emotional or physical "trauma", one usually regresses to the "old ways", the familiar previous lifestyle. So commitment the key, AND knowledge of the inevitable if unwise choices aren't dealt with.

TrueHeart Guest
    As everyone knows, I am a sensitive, kind and gentle man.

And I have to say that I do understand the terrible addiction that some people create for themselves by abusing tobacco, alcohol and some drugs and how difficult it is for them to break the habit once they are hooked.
    Last edited by TrueHeart; 08-13-2006 at 01:43 PM.

lencarol Guest
    Well, you must surely be a Pisces then!

Bella_D Guest
    Yes I think its true that a smoker will use any excuse to hold onto the habit, even weight gain. I can agree that this is an insightful observation Trueheart & lencarol

But in the case of weight gain, it is a very real symptom of quitting for many people and its something that the `quitter' needs to prepare for and consider, in context of what impact that will have on their life.

The only reason I bring this up, is I don't see this aspect of smoking and quitting discussed very often. I see advertisements on TV which imply that quitting the habit will make the person more attractive. But the reality is that a lot people gain weight, and a lot of people do NOT find weight gain attractive at all. People really do lose partners, jobs, and friends when they quit cigarrettes.

The other aspect of quitting I do not see discussed very often is the powerful antidepressent affect of nicotine.

Some people are dopamine defficent and nictotine acts to enhance their mental health and emotional wellbeing, in the way any antidepressant works. When they give up, they lose this benefit. Again, I think this something some `quitters' must understand and prepare for.

kat7 is offline Senior Member
    Bella D.....you make some very valid points IMO.

I was also a person who was much happier smoking. My brain chemistry has never been the same. I don't feel as mentally sharp, and I find it harder to self-sooth than when I was a smoker.

The weight issue is something I've also struggled with since quitting. Nicotine without question speeds up one's metabolism. The average person gains 10-15 lbs. when they quit smoking sheerly because of the metabolism factor. Some people actually lose weight, but they are in the minority.

On the plus side however, are bonuses we all know including life itself. I feel very lucky to have gained the strength to quit after 25 years. I'm lucky to have lungs, and 12 years later no sign of anything horrible. My father died of lung cancer, and so did a female cousin who was only 51. I feel lucky just to be here.

But I can tell you without reservation, that I'd rather be writing this with a cigarette in an ashtray. It's a powerful addiction that I doubt I'll ever eliminate from my psyche.

Bella_D Guest
    Thats how I feel too Kat...I'm totally stoked to have my health, and a healthy future to look forward to...there's no question!

Yes I miss the antipdepressant effect a lot (it was great for PMS!) , and the mental sharpness you mentioned (I experienced that too...like it helped me focus better or something). I'll always miss it I guess. Maybe we'll have a drink one day together a toast to old lost (dysfunctional) friends

I read somewhere that nicotine has a powerful effect on hormones too, which in many women increases the free testosterone levels (which naturally strips fat from our bodies and increases metabolism).

Ah well, I guess I'm still learning to enjoy having a few squishy bits on my body Stu prefers them for some reason....I find it harder to accept, but hey we're all getting old so theres no point in getting too attached to the way we look anyway.

Well there my modelling career out the window, but I always wanted to be an artist anyhow
    Last edited by Bella_D; 08-13-2006 at 08:03 PM.

B_d

well, i like the idea of meeting and having a drink!

when i quit smoking, i made a deal with myself that if i could quit smoking as long as i smoked, that i could start again. so that means when i'm 68, i can smoke again. this helps me to get through those occasional days when it's all i can do to keep myself from going to the store to buy a lighter and a pack.

if i'm still alone, i'll probably consider it as a means of staving off alzheimers. isn't supposed to be good for that? it's such a great drug, it can't be all bad!

tick, tock, tick, tock...

don't even get me started....i love TALKING about cigarettes almost as much as smoking them.....

Bella_D Guest
    I'm not really totally clued up, but to my knowledge nicotine itself is fine....its basically an antidpressant and mild stimulant. Its the way we take it into our bodies through smoke thats the problem....and if you smoke tailor-mades theres the additional chemicals.

Maybe some day they will invent a hazard- free way of ingesting nicotine, for those who want to experience the benefits?

(Edit..ps you will not be alone at 68 Kat)

regretfully, that's not correct. after all, there are plenty of ways to ingest it without smoking it. chew comes to mind.....and there's that nasty oral cancer as a result.

AND, there's gum, and patches. i actually, beleive it or not, thought about doing the patches last year as a means to lose weight, but i knew i'd just be addicted to nicotine again, sadly.

i dissected a live frog once in biology during my nursing school. we dumped drugs directly on the opened, still beating heart...and they made us use the nicotine last. that's because the frog's heart not only couldn't tolerate the nicotine, it's entire body went completely spastic before it died. geez.....horrible retrospectively. luckily i don't think that would happen today, but point being, there are a lot of cardiac implications with nicotine. speeds the pulse, ups the blood pressure, etc. it's definitely not benign.

Edit: I don't know why you think that Bella. I'm alone at 55, and I'm a lot cuter than I'll probably be at 68!

Bella_D Guest
    Doh! You're messing with my denial systems again kat!

PS. You will you won't be alone Kat because I intend to use the power of nagging on you to get you out of that town where there are no guys And if that doesn't work, I'll hunt down some awesome guy for you myself, tie him up in a bow, and post him to you!

AH MAN!!!!

Nothin' like havin' an advocate for L-O-V-E!!!

Actually, there are a few guys in this town who are available (albeit not many, you're right!) but they all have something tatooed on their foreheads:

L-O-S-E-R

Florida is an interesting place, and from an historical perspective, it's where people come to reinvent themselves. So besides the active users, you also get a lot of recovering alcoholics and drug addicts, as well as a lot of (back to original topic) SMOKERS!

Although, it is no longer legal to smoke in restaurants in Florida. What's it like down under in that regard?

Bella_D Guest
    LOL....we have a bunch of people with those tatoos here too, kat!

Smoking is banned just about everywhere now here....restaurants, cafes, bars, & clubs. It really helps an ex smoker keep their resolve, thats for sure.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast