AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Anyone have experience with paying Union Dues?

Azureth is offline Banned
    Well when it comes to his pay stub he told me he never looks at it. He just knows when he gets DD and will go and withdraw money for bills and such (he doesn't use a credti/debit card, just cash) then check to see how much he got and how much is left.

He does work for AA, his mom works there as well and got him the job.
    gorillagirl likes this.

gorillagirl Guest
    If he is an actual AA employee, he's a moron because everyone knows that ramp employees are unionized.

Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    If he is an actual AA employee, he's a moron because everyone knows that ramp employees are unionized.
    That's assuming you know what a union is. He hardly knows anything about them. Believe me, this is a guy who drove to texas to pick up some girl he supposedly met online, only for her to by chance have phone issues and waited 3 hours.

He doesn't really "get" stuff a lot of the time.

gorillagirl Guest
    if he really doesn't "get stuff," stop dogging unions cuz he's an idiot. he is lucky he's unionized and HR will straighten it out. i quit AA after my department tried unsuccessfully 3 times in 10 years to unionize. why didn't we win a union? cuz redneck idiot tea party- types outvoted us. and guess what, most of those idiots (and retirees with 30+ years) lost their jobs to outsourcing or had salary and benefit downgrades post 9-11. it's quite obnoxious to hear someone non-employed dissing unions. in this matter, my dear, you are clueless.
    Last edited by gorillagirl; 05-30-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    RadoG60 and Stiletto like this.

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Like everything human, unions can be good or bad. If abusive, a union can actually lead to the closing of a business. It happened in Panama with the only oil refinery we had. The unionized employees got so many benefits that the oil company decided to bring already refined products and do away with the refining in Panama. Tons of employees lost their jobs.

During the 70s and 80s, many companies went belly up because of their unions. Some of those unions ended up as owners of their previous company, and could not manage it profitably and everyone lost their jobs.

Unions can be extremely corrupt and I understand why someone would not want to be linked to such an organization.

On the other hand, employers can be very abusive and unions are the only thing that protects workers. The union saved my ex husband, he was going to get fired after 20 yrs of service, because he was handicapped, and the union managed to keep him in his position. Unions keep workers safe, demanding safe working conditions and decent working hours.

It all has to be in balance for it to work properly.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
    Well when it comes to his pay stub he told me he never looks at it. He just knows when he gets DD and will go and withdraw money for bills and such (he doesn't use a credti/debit card, just cash) then check to see how much he got and how much is left.

He does work for AA, his mom works there as well and got him the job.
    There ya go.

It'll get straightened out and it isn't a situation he managed to get into completely through his own inaction, but he's not entirely blameless either. It is a common expectation in the workforce that you examine your pay stub every pay period and report any discrepancies, just like you're expected to show up for work on time, every day, with your clothes on. If they're not taking out enough taxes, if your leave isn't right, if they're supposed to take out for supplemental insurance, whatever, it's your responsibility to make sure they're doing it and to push the point if they're not.

If his mom works there and helped him get the job, it's more mind-boggling that he could be absolutely clueless about the union. That horse has already left the barn, though. The question now is: what, if anything, has your roommate learned from this?

MM
    gorillagirl and Stiletto like this.
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

But what I don't get is, shouldn't the union dues be automatically taken out of his paycheck regardless? And they are the ones that got the address wrong so even if he did check his pay stub would he have still noticed? On a pay stub is there something that has "UNION" on it or something? And still, the fact they never said a thing when he first got the job is complete negligence, seriously, why would any employer with half a brain not at least say something about paying union dues?

He also told me that his rep said that if he gets his job back he's liable to receive all the money he would have made had he worked which is good.

degausser is offline Senior Member
    But what I don't get is, shouldn't the union dues be automatically taken out of his paycheck regardless? And they are the ones that got the address wrong so even if he did check his pay stub would he have still noticed? On a pay stub is there something that has "UNION" on it or something? And still, the fact they never said a thing when he first got the job is complete negligence, seriously, why would any employer with half a brain not at least say something about paying union dues?

He also told me that his rep said that if he gets his job back he's liable to receive all the money he would have made had he worked which is good.
    I just can't believe no one made him aware that it was a union position. Literally, I can't. I do not believe that happened. The story does not make sense.

What is the situation with his dues? How often/how much are they? And if he hasn't asked those questions yet, that should tell you something about his capability with workplace matters.

A pay stub should have a complete breakdown of what was taken out and what it was taken out for. It's really irresponsible to never check your pay stubs. I'm also confused as to what exactly the situation is with the address - what did he not receive due to an error with his address?

If all is as he says, he will keep his job/get it back (don't feel like looking back to the first page...he's on unpaid leave, right?). That's the beauty of a union. Don't expect that if you're at-will.
    gorillagirl likes this.

You'd think his dues would be a payroll deduction, but not always. If he'd checked his pay stub, the union dues would be itemized with the deductions. It may or may not be stated in plain language...for instance, if you know "FICA" means Federal Income Contribution Act and that means your Social Security contribution, you can kind of figure that one out and see how it makes sense. If not, it's nonsense. Seriously, you HAVE to check your pay stubs, benefits statements, etc., and make sure they show what they're supposed to.

The grumpy guy had an employer who didn't hold out federal taxes even though he completed a W4. Every time he went in to make them take it out, they had an excuse for why they didn't do it. He didn't push the issue, because the owner really was dying of cancer and the owner's wife was the company book keeper. He also didn't set the money aside so he could pay the taxes when he filed his returns, or adjust his withholding at his primary job to make sure he wouldn't get stuck with a tax bill in April. The IRS doesn't care how it happened, and neither does the state--what they care about is that he owed them around $1000 each.

When he quit the job--even though it was his second job--the unemployment office wanted to know why. He told them the employer wasn't withholding state or federal taxes, and didn't correct the problem even though he brought it to their attention several times. The employer caught hell for it, and he still owes the taxes.

He didn't check his unemployment benefits statement because that's done through Direct Deposit to a debit card and the statement is online. Because he didn't check it, he didn't know they were over paying him. Now he has to repay $2000 and isn't eligible for benefits for 1 year. While I agree that it sucks, I don't feel sorry for him because he knows better.

On the flip side, one of the easiest kinds of embezzlement out there is to withhold payroll deductions such as taxes, unemployment insurance, social security contributions, workman's comp, union dues, etc., and not send them in. The biggest reason it's easy? People don't check their pay stubs.

Whether or not the union sent the correspondence to the wrong address may or may not have anything to do with it. Someone, somewhere at work was responsible for seeing to it that your roommate received, attended or signed up for information about the union. That person is more than likely supposed to have documentation that he or she did that; even if they're not *supposed* to, they're dumb if they don't just because everyone knows it's good CMA policy to do things like that (in this context, CMA = cover my a--).

They may say that they posted a notice in the employee lounge or other common area, and that may or may not hold water. Employers are mandated to post certain notices according to state and federal law. IDK if "this is a union shop; the people who work here are members of ABC Union, Local 123" is one of them. Beyond that, employers post stuff that they want employees to know about, such as filing for the Earned Income Tax Credit, how to access your medical, dental and other benefits, and so forth.

On a related note, your mail carrier must be a real slacka--. I've had at least 15 different postal addresses in four states over the course of my lifetime, and I haven't met a mail carrier or postmaster yet who wasn't familiar with who's on his or her route and won't "go the extra mile" & deliver the mail to the right house anyway even if addressed one or two house numbers "off."

The bottom line, though, is: Your roommate needs to stop going around with his head up his butt and take responsibility for making it his business to find this stuff out for himself instead of expecting everyone to spoon feed it to him. This type of thing definitely falls under the heading of "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

MM
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

Ashley20 is offline Member

just sayin'

years ago unions may have been needed..they are not any longer...many companies leave the USA because of unions now.

5 Reasons Unions Are Bad For America - John Hawkins - Page 1

Why Unions are Bad

'Unnecessary' and 'Political': Why Unions Are Bad For America - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

just a few others that feel the same way.

also I am going to mention a direct quote on here I read..AND I QUOTE: "why didn't we win a union? cuz redneck idiot tea party- types outvoted us."

sooo let me get this straight,it's ok to call people 'rednecks and 'tea party types' in a derogatory way,but god forbid they say anything about another person that just happens to be another race,because in that case they will be called a racist and the OLD race card will be flung out yet once again..yea ok...perhaps with a little more info of the word redneck and how it has been used ,one could say a person who uses that word is a racist of sorts..I mean if working LONG,HARD hours in the sun so people could eat is a bad thing,,then I would wonder why..oh maybe the term" long ,hard work hours" in the brutal sun and heat is just so longer not a 'trendy' thing...to that I will just 'roll my eyes and say WHATEVER!!!!!'

Redneck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Azureth and VenusDarkStarLA like this.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views."
    William F. Buckley, Jr.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley20 View Post
    years ago unions may have been needed..they are not any longer...many companies leave the USA because of unions now.
    I agree and disagree.

I was brought up in a right to work state, in a community where unions are distrusted, feared and even hated. I am now an at will employee in that same right to work state.

I think we need fair labor practices and I think that employers cannot be relied upon to of their own accord provide living wages and benefits. I am still making up my mind whether it's the government's role to do that (esp. since the government is pretty good at outsourcing and subcontracting to get around the rules), or our responsibility to do it ourselves via mechanisms such as unions.

All people have the basic human right to a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. Before unions, corporate America vehemently disagreed and went to great extremes to keep labor costs as low as possible. If they thought they could cut your pay from 50 cents a day to 35, they'd find a way to do it. If they could get away with working you 12 or 16 hours, they did. They ran equipment at max capacity until it failed, rather than maintain it. When someone was killed or maimed on the job because a boiler blew up, the corporate heads mourned the loss of equipment and delay in production and didn't give a whit about the human cost.

Every single company who left the USA to go overseas had the option to remain/relocate within the USA and offer full time jobs with living wages and decent benefits. They chose to go overseas instead, and choose to house their business concerns in nations with weaker labor, product safety, and environmental protection laws. I don't blame American unions for that. I blame the corporate decision makers. Trust me, they're not over there to build schools and provide clean water. They're over there to make more bucks. They don't care how many kids and old people they consume in the process, or what they do to the air, water and soil.

MM

Stiletto is offline Senior Member
    I'd be out of work due to office politics (senior employee who took a disliking to me) if not for our union. My dues come off the first pay period of each calendar month, and show up as union dues on my paystub. I am in Canada, however, so maybe things differ a great deal across the line. I did get a union book as soon as I finished my probation period and joined, and was informed it was a union shop at my initial job interview.

When I started at my current company, I got laid off 3 times during slow periods, and it was the union contract employee retention agreement that got me called back every time, even with two disgruntled coworkers doing their damnedest to keep me out.

I've worked enough non union gigs over the years to know which I prefer.
    gorillagirl and ukfireball like this.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Age gap: 22 years, 6 days.

UPDATE: So it IS their mistake after all. My roommate informed me that the guy that's dealing with this has said this is the first time they've had a case like this and that it must go through arbitration and could take up to 9 months. But he does get backpay if he wins. In the meantime, he suggested my roommate file for unemployment.

UPDATE: So it IS their mistake after all. My roommate informed me that the guy that's dealing with this has said this is the first time they've had a case like this and that it must go through arbitration and could take up to 9 months. But he does get backpay if he wins. In the meantime, he suggested my roommate file for unemployment.
    See? That's pretty much what I've been tellin' ya.

However, do not lose sight of the several take-home messages available in this life lesson.

1. While your roommate didn't get into this pinch on his own, he is also not entirely blameless. It still amazes me that he could work there 2 years and never hear anything from a coworker or see anything on a bulletin board or a flyer taped to the back of the door in the bathroom about it being a union shop. This is a union we're talking about, not a secret society.

2. He needs to check his pay stubs, every pay period.

3. He needs to watch the mail for things like his IRA or 401(k) and health insurance statements.

4. He needs to make it his business to ask questions about benefits and responsibilities as an employee.

5. He needs to follow up and then follow through on it, and not take "no" for an answer, when things like his payroll deductions aren't right.

6. He needs to keep organized files of anything they send him in the mail or put in with his pay stub, even if it looks like junk. Even with electronic pay stubs, they have alerts when you log in and those alerts aren't always done as popup screens. If he calls someone about an account over the phone, he needs to keep a log of the call.

I hope this works out for him, but I also hope he learns something from it.

MM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12