AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Breast Feeding in Public

soul is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuffins View Post
    Where does the line lie? It's still the norm in many undeveloped nations, and they think we're harming our children by not doing the same.

I think breastfeeding a child who's old enough to crawl in your lap, get into your blouse and ask for milk is weird. I think it's weird for children who've been breastfed to grasp at women's bosoms and ask them for milk (I overheard someone telling this as a cute story about her grandchild). I think it's equally as weird to raise your blouse, expose your breast in full view of everyone and let your baby latch on. I've seen women nurse their babies, infants and toddlers in the middle of a university lecture hall, in line at Walmart, and countless other places where I wouldn't even think of giving my child a drink, meal or snack because I feel it's neither the time nor place to do so.

Then again, this was a moot point at our house. First, I didn't breastfeed--I wasn't able to. Nor are most of the women in my mother's family. Either our milk doesn't come in, or it's not rich enough to provide the baby with adequate nutrition. Second, when my boys were little, I chose to be an at-home mom and we were rarely away from home at mealtime. I knew when it was time for them to eat and feeding them was enough of a priority to me that I made a point of being at home, near a restaurant or someplace I could pull over and let them out of their safety restraints when it was time to eat. I felt that if we were in such a hurry to go somewhere or get something done that we couldn't take time to feed the baby or let the boys have a structured meal time, then maybe we'd better rethink the choices we were making as parents.

MM

I remember seeing a documentary with some nutty English woman who was breast feeding her 8 year old, yes you read the right 8 years old!!

As for where lines should be drawn. I would think those 3rd world countries that breast feed their children well into being toddlers are doing it as much out of necessity as anything else, with no other options available I'm sure I'd do the same if I were in their situation. As for health reasons, I choose to believe in modern medicine and research, otherwise I'd be running around with a bone in my nose and worshiping witch doctors too

I'm guessing a baby of around 0-12 months is probably more demanding and that to juggle their eating times would be more problematic, So the need to make an impromptu feed with boob out in public is more warranted. Even with saying that, the fact that we don't see many mums breast feeding in public tells me that it's not necessary to do so, unless there literally are no other options which is obviously quite rare.

For me personally I don't care if women breast feed in public or not, I'm indifferent to it rather than being pro or anti.

Something to ponder, as SLK rightly points out breasts have a duel purpose, so if we're going to be all tree-hugger-ish and say breast feed as long as you possibly can regardless of age, where's the line drawn between feeding and it being sexual

degausser is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soul View Post
    I remember seeing a documentary with some nutty English woman who was breast feeding her 8 year old, yes you read the right 8 years old!!

As for where lines should be drawn. I would think those 3rd world countries that breast feed their children well into being toddlers are doing it as much out of necessity as anything else, with no other options available I'm sure I'd do the same if I were in their situation. As for health reasons, I choose to believe in modern medicine and research, otherwise I'd be running around with a bone in my nose and worshiping witch doctors too

I'm guessing a baby of around 0-12 months is probably more demanding and that to juggle their eating times would be more problematic, So the need to make an impromptu feed with boob out in public is more warranted. Even with saying that, the fact that we don't see many mums breast feeding in public tells me that it's not necessary to do so, unless there literally are no other options which is obviously quite rare.

For me personally I don't care if women breast feed in public or not, I'm indifferent to it rather than being pro or anti.

Something to ponder, as SLK rightly points out breasts have a duel purpose, so if we're going to be all tree-hugger-ish and say breast feed as long as you possibly can regardless of age, where's the line drawn between feeding and it being sexual
    An 8 year old breastfeeding is downright icky. In my humble opinion, anyone old enough to get up and get a snack on their own is too old to be breastfeeding. I also agree with MM...if they can ask for it, they're probably too old for it. And if they're old enough to communicate their association of breasts equaling dinner, they are too old.

The dual purpose of breasts is undeniably the problem. For those who say that the purpose of breasts is breastfeeding...is that really so? I mean, I never had a "History of Breasts" course in school. I don't presume to know the purpose of them, but I do know that unless a woman has a real penchant for procreating, she will spend most of her life not lactating. The breast's natural state is not lactation. Personally I have gone 24 years without doing so, and would like to live my entire life that way. So I can hardly consider that the purpose of my breasts is breastfeeding, when they have only ever been used for sexual pleasure. Or decoration.

Slow Worm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by degausser View Post
    unless a woman has a real penchant for procreating, she will spend most of her life not lactating. The breast's natural state is not lactation.
    That is true of modern or even medieval societies, but prehistoric women probably did spend their fertile years either pregnant or lactating (as happens among most other mammalian species in the wild state).

SW

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    In "The Naked Ape" there is a theory of how breasts came about... and by breasts they do not mean the mammary glands but the actual boob. If you check our cousins the gorillas and other apes, their females are relatively flatchested. The gorilla below could not be considered a D cup, if she were to wear a bra.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

VenusDarkStarLA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    and if this person was breastfeeding in public???
    Attachment 2776
    Am I seeing MOOBS??? OMG...take that poor man to Victoria's Secret!

Seriously....when I was breastfeeding my babies, I only made it to around 4 months, because they started teething on me, and yeah....OWIE! I didn't do it in public. If we took the breastfed baby to a social function, I would excuse myself and retire to a bedroom for the feeding. If we had to be in public, I pumped some of my milk into a bottle, because I wasn't personally comfortable with it. However I DID notice other mothers breastfeeding their babies and it did not offend me, perhaps because they covered themselves modestly, and used a nursing bra so no clothing had to be lifted to expose anything. I wasn't so brave, but again, I found nothing wrong with it.

On the other hand, I have to admit that I find men peeing in public to be disgusting. To me, it puts them rather on the same level as a dog lifting its leg on a fire hydrant. Double standard or not...I don't like it.

Charlotte is offline Every day is a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by joesbabygirl View Post
    So I was reading People online, and there is a picture of Selma Blair breastfeeding her almost 2 year old son ... right out in public.

So I figured Id ask.

I agree with breastfeeding, I agree that it should be done anywhere and everywhere, I do not believe that it should be done with everyone able to see everything. Cover it up !

Do I think women should feel shame, not at all. For me, its more, if its good for the goose its good for the gander, I am all about equality and fairness.

If a man, has to use the bathroom, and cant make it to a bathroom, so he uses the bush/tree, and someone sees him, and reports it, he could actually get a felony charge for that, he could actually end up on the sex offenders registry ( I saw this on an episode of Law & Order ).

So why is ok for a woman, who at anytime exposes her breasts would be charged, but if there is a child involved, then we all go ... awwww

So I think that either men should be allowed to pee on a tree, and women walk around topless whenever they want, or, no public peeing, and cover up the tata's.
    Comparing breastfeeding to urinating is kinda gross.

I have over 9 years of breastfeeding experience and a lot of it has been in public. I agree that if a woman is making a spectacle of it, then yes, it's just shameful and not really a nurturing moment between her and her child.

However, comparing a woman who happens to be seen breastfeeding to somebody publically urinating and spreading filth, is not really a good comparison!

By the way, I am legally allowed to walk around topless here, but the last thing I want to see as a reprecussion would be an army of men pissing in the streets! EWWW

I understand your point of view, and respectfully breastfeed in a way that encourages other mothers to choose to breastfeed, rather than being THAT woman who made your jaw drop.

It's all about being educated, having realistic expectations and goals, and an understanding for differences of opinions. For those same reasons, I participate in educational programs for reptiles rather than walking around town with my snake draped around my neck.

Charlotte is offline Every day is a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by SheLikesKitties View Post
    Now, breastfeeding a 2 yr old must look odd, since it's not technically a baby, it's a toddler, for that I would definitely advise more modesty.
    My son is 3 and still breastfeeds before bed. He doesn't ask me to breastfeed in public lately, but a few months ago we did and it wasn't a big deal. I know how to hold him comfortably and I normally layer my clothing so it's easy to sneak out just the nipple for him. He would just fall asleep, then I'd place him in the stroller and that was that.

When I went to La Leche League meetings there were mothers there nursing toddlers who would stand up in front of the seated mother, lift the shirt, help themself to the breast, and jump around and make all kinds of noise and distraction at the same time and the mothers would act like that was normal!!!

Not for me...it didn't offend me, but it would surely annoy me if I had a selfish, annoying child like that! I suppose some people have either more tolerance or wider boundaries or something. Definitely would be putting an end to that kind of behaviour with my son.

soul is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
    My son is 3 and still breastfeeds before bed. He doesn't ask me to breastfeed in public lately, but a few months ago we did and it wasn't a big deal.
    I'm just curious Charlotte. If your son is asking to be breast fed while you're out in public, albeit not very often, why not take a drink with you 'just in case' so you don't have to breast feed in public, or buy him a drink, I'm assuming he's drinking other liquids too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234