AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Age gap documentary

RadoG60 is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting. It seems most the YW/OM came off as "gold diggers", unfortunately. Not in all aspects, but in a nut shell it seemed as if the girls were more into "daddy" buying them stuff. That "daddy" comment made me cringe. With Rick only being 8 years younger than my dad (and older than my mom) I could never call him daddy, even jokingly. Just creepy in my eyes.

Seems as if they have found some extraordinary people so far.

I enjoyed the first two episodes though. Hopefully they will be online again at some point so I can show Rick.

It will be exciting to see your episode/s.

fiorinda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RadoG60 View Post
    Very interesting. It seems most the YW/OM came off as "gold diggers", unfortunately. Not in all aspects, but in a nut shell it seemed as if the girls were more into "daddy" buying them stuff. That "daddy" comment made me cringe.
    Hmm, I thought they'd made it quite obvious that they were fooling around and being ironic with that comment - kind of 'this is what we do to wind up the people who stare at us rudely'. I didn't think ANY of the YW came over as gold diggers at all. Not even the woman from Sierre Leone who was getting British Citizenship and trying to revive her modelling career, and that was where I was almost expecting to see that image. I mean, how can anyone say that the young woman doing the nursing degree to support her family, as her husband is a retired church minister, is anything remotely resembling a gold-digger?! And so far, there have only been 2 men who have had any kind of 'gold' to dig for anyway and I imagine the young American actress probably earns a decent amount herself!

As SLK said, I think people in AGRS tend to be unusual simply because they're by definition the kind of people who are able to defy convention and turn a blind eye to what others think of them. The TV producers making the documentaries find everyone extraordinary. We spent an entire day with them yesterday, and they are genuinely interested in people in general, and interested in life, and they want to challenge viewers' stereotyped ideas and prejudices through entertaining television - as we discussed over dinner yesterday evening, making a very serious documentary means you are generally 'preaching to the converted'; with a more light-hearted, primetime show you reach a much wider audience and hopefully are able to change more minds.

I'll try to get the guys to find out where they can be viewed outside of the UK. Glad you enjoyed them.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pickles is offline Senior Member
    Aye yi aiee. I want to be lifecoach/pimp to Joan and the sassy woman in ep 1.
    Have a yardstick and thwack at them every time they reach for the mascara or the eyebrow tweezer. Some times (in make up for sure) less is more. It made them look exceptionally odd. Also if I win at the no Manscarer paint; start making their hair silky, no more harsh colors or coverups.

I didn't see any real gold diggers though Miss Sierra Leon made a tingle that would have me ragging them if I was an Interviewer.

Dating a friends daughter/son is a taboo thing . Also exes. At least for my family it is like "dirty', I don't think I could roll with that...not even with my friends who are closer in my daughter's age range.
    Though we have done the double sib date marriages (ie Bagnes sibs + Gonsalez)

Granted anyone who is AGR like us is already left of center and marches to the beat of their hearts.
    But gee whiz. I hope future episodes has people are less dramatically extreme. Hunny isn't in the kind of comfort zone to have us as volunteer. He hisses at pictures (proof he loves me..I have willing poses), destroys them on the side and doesn't even use forum avatars of his characters ^_^
    Daisypath Friendship tickers
    ............Unexpected pleasures are sweetest

I'm quite fascinated by the way people see a relationship with a friend's adult child as a taboo. If you'd spent a lot of time with them as a child and seen them grow up then personally I think developing a sexual attraction to them would be odd. But otherwise, I think it's another thing people think is taboo but never actually examine. It's quite groundless! The guy on the programme who was marrying his friend's daughter said he met her as a child but didn't know her well. Then he met her again when she was in her 30s and going through a divorce.

Slow Worm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Dating a friends daughter/son is a taboo thing .
    Why?

anyone who is AGR ..... is already left of center

Debateable - seems to me we have some distinctly right-inclined members here at Ageless.

SW

I suspect Pickles didn't mean politically left!

But yes, I don't understand that taboo either, like I said.
    Pickles likes this.

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    I think that seeing a person grow from a baby puts you in a "parental" kind of role, specially if you are close friends of the family at one point or another you probably had to babysit them.

But again, the child of a friend that you met as an adult is a totally different thing.

In my case I consider myself politically center-right, and my husband is very right wing. Compared to him I am a leftist.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

gnothiseauton is offline Member
    I once briefly dated a sweet man 18 years younger who, when we found out we had a certain mutual friend on fb, said teasingly, "Oh, she used to babysit me!" then was a bit shocked when I replied, somewhat embarrassed, "I used to babysit her!"

(We both guffawed after our moment of silence.)
    fiorinda and Pickles like this.

AmandaAlice is offline Senior Member
    I had the videos on YouTube bookmarked to watch later
    Is there another way to watch them?

I'll try to find out!

AmandaAlice is offline Senior Member
    Cool, thanks!

Pickles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiorinda View Post
    I suspect Pickles didn't mean politically left!

But yes, I don't understand that taboo either, like I said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YIBmZjONtA

It wasn't ALWAYS a strictly political phrase. Though "right" has long meant "correct" abd traditional Left was "sinister", different, not conventional. ^_^ .. it is another way to say UNCONVENTIONAL. whic obviously has been urbanized to new meaning now.

And the reason many feel it taboo to date a friend's child that you knew even in acquaintance is because the type of relationship an adult in that situation has makes it fraternization. The TRUST held there. Like Professors and teachers, and bosses and higher ranking officers. You have a certain
    lopsided power equation. The person who was in some way in charge, occupies an influential position. Especially bad if the lessor person is younger, maybe too immature to make a proper decision for himself/herself. There is no question about consensual relationship , the lessor person clamors to be special in this admired person's eyes. The power difference makes them unequal. It exploits the emotional vulnerability.
    CAVEAT: There are always exception to the rule and in the end it normally is Legal.. if not approved.

A family friend dating a child of someone close; they have special knowledge, shared memories, rapport and trust with; is often (knowing or unknowing) is exploiting the same loophole that an incestuous, or predator on young does.

Why cant that 34 year old HS teacher date that legal 17-18 year old without hue and cry? The broken trust.

Personally, for my traditions and upbringing, if I have a close friend that actually became involved with my child that grew up around them; they are not a trustworthy person. Regardless of their ages.

And btw.. It was mentioned in the clips: he met her later as she was in the throes of rebound, staying IN HER PARENT"S house. He didnt meet her at abar in another city. He met her at her father's home after split with husband. This particular dynamic seems to have healed between the two men.. SEEMS.
    But that is not how it goes on average. I wish that couple luck, but even erasing age gap, it has some flags.
    Daisypath Friendship tickers
    ............Unexpected pleasures are sweetest

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post

And btw.. It was mentioned in the clips: he met her later as she was in the throes of rebound, staying IN HER PARENT"S house. He didnt meet her at abar in another city. He met her at her father's home after split with husband. This particular dynamic seems to have healed between the two men.. SEEMS.
    But that is not how it goes on average. I wish that couple luck, but even erasing age gap, it has some flags.
    What he actually said was that he met her when she moved back in with her Dad after her divorce, when she started going to the pub quiz with her Dad. NOT at her Dad's house. At the pub. She just happened to be there with her father. And she was 29 years old, hardly an impressionable young girl!! Imagine I was 30 years old and had a friend who was 55 (I'm nearly 50 and have plenty of friends who are late 20s/early 30s, and my oldest child is 28)). We went to the pub quiz together. One day she brought her newly divorced 29 year old son with her. It wouldn't be considered odd if we got together. Imagine a peer-aged friend of mine brought their newly divorced Dad along with them to that pub quiz and he and I fell for each other. That wouldn't be odd, would it? That guy said he had met her a few times when she was a child. He didn't say he had been in a pseudo-parental role to her. He said he'd met her a couple of times at her family events. He didn't take part in her upbringing. He wasn't around to watch her grow up. I agree that falling for someone you once changed the nappies of would be a bit strange, but that was far away from that couple's situation. I think, like most human relationships, these situations must be viewed independently - I think they are possibly almost ALL exceptions to the rule, because I don't think the rule applies here. Age is not the defining factor in relationships with a lopsided power equation; power is. We ARE talking about a consenting adult (and one who had already been married), not a minor.

I'd actually feel really odd about a friend of mine dating one of my children, regardless of their age, and even if they'd never met my child as a child, but I recognise that this is irrational.

I also think that falling for someone in a different generation to oneself after meeting in a social situation through a mutual friend (or one of the party's relatives) is far more natural than deliberately setting out to meet someone in a totally different age-bracket to oneself online (and that's what I was doing when I met Lee )

jessieh is offline Neophyte
    Thanks for the links, I really enjoyed watching those. It was so nice to see people in a similar situation to me

Jessie

xx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12