AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I can't leave California

Starrypup Guest
    George,
    I forgot to tell you that in the pictures you put up of the Haight, you've actually captured a picture of my ex-boyfriend's place (the street with all the places with rounded fronts) and a friends place (those beautiful ones up above Buena Vista Park). Thanks for that trip down memory lane... I am now kind of home sick!

And did you notice in all the pictures... Blue skies!!! I've never appreciated blue skies as much as I do now!!!

Angel is offline Anger Thrives In A Fool
    Quote Originally Posted by zoliepup View Post
    George,
    I forgot to tell you that in the pictures you put up of the Haight, you've actually captured a picture of my ex-boyfriend's place (the street with all the places with rounded fronts) and a friends place (those beautiful ones up above Buena Vista Park). Thanks for that trip down memory lane... I am now kind of home sick!

And did you notice in all the pictures... Blue skies!!! I've never appreciated blue skies as much as I do now!!!
    The skies are outstanding aren't they?

You know, a funny thought I often have. All these families moved out West to strike it rich and my silly backwards family MOVED EAST!

They came from Oklahoma and moved to Indiana/Tennessee/Kentucky and then eventually to Ohio and Pennsylvania.

WTH is up with that? I so got ripped off on that deal.

They could've moved to California back when it was cheap to live there, after all Oklahoma IS closer to CA than PA. Then I'd already be established there. But, could they think that far ahead for me? NO! LOL.

I want to smack the heck out of whoever it was in my family tree that thought, "Let's move East while everyone else moves West."

My Great-Great-Great-Great-Great Grandpa has some SERIOUS explaining to do when I get to heaven. And because of that decision somehow it transferred into a genetic defect that my family tree suffers in our 'critical thinking' skills ever since.
    there before the threshold, I saw a brighter world beyond myself

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Starrypup Guest
    When I just finished college, I was living in the Haight, when the house next door to mine went on sale. 3 story Victorian, overlooking Buena Vista Park. $230,000 dollars!!! I could have bought it on my teeny weenie post college salary, but did I? NO... Now, the house just sold for 7 million!!!

Kicking self over and over and over again. It might be one of the stupidest mistakes I've ever made! (Well, that and an ex-boyfriend or two)

Harrison Guest
    When I just finished college, I was living in the Haight, when the house next door to mine went on sale. 3 story Victorian, overlooking Buena Vista Park. $230,000 dollars!!! I could have bought it on my teeny weenie post college salary, but did I? NO... Now, the house just sold for 7 million!!!

Kicking self over and over and over again. It might be one of the stupidest mistakes I've ever made! (Well, that and an ex-boyfriend or two)
    That sounds about "normal" for that part of the USA.
    What kills me is that those houses look so unremarkable and/or nondescript relative to the asking price.

Mishigas73 Guest
    Ah George....looking at those pictures brings me back. Though, I *do* have to say, not nearly enough to even remotely make me regret my move from southern California.

Maybe it's the fact that I only spent 4 years there, and never truly *liked* it in the first place. It was a convenient stopping point on my way from NY to "up north"...(though, honestly, at the time I moved there, I thought "up north" would be the Bay Area, not north of Seattle, Washington...LOL).

As a matter of fact, I feel more sorry for my parents, who made the move from NY to Lake Tahoe, several months after I did. They left their home of 32 years to be "out west" with their children. Well, let's say, their grandchildren. My brother's wife was pregnant at the time, and they wanted to be close to their grandson. It's turned out to be a complete and utter HORROR for them, leaving them wishing (as recently as this morning) that they could move back to NY tomorrow.

NY is what they KNOW. That's where they spent their whole lives, and that's where their roots are. Whereas someone who didn't have their experiences would look at NY and say, "erm, I could NEVER live here" (myself, being one of them), they both, and especially my mom, just love it there.

If YOU love it where you live, what else matters? I can tell you that my parents would still be in NY, were it not for my brother having his heart set on "living in the Bay Area"....blah, blah, blah (another story, for another time). Personally speaking, if I could live anywhere, it would be back in Vermont, hands down.

That's what makes horse racing, though.

There are very many absolutely gorgeous and wonderful places in California. Personally, I've seen them and don't want to live in them...but, that's just me. If you've found someplace you love, why not stay? I don't see any reason to "retire to someplace else" if there's not a calling for it.

There's no need to defend your choice to stay in California. I know, full well, it's not "for me", but I would never turn my nose at someone who thought different.

Mishigas73 Guest
    *gasp*

I know the Haight well...my brother lived there while doing his residency. But, 230 grand??? Apparently, my memories of the Haight in the mid-90's are a *wee bit* different than yours.

I hear you on the "regret" thing though. When my grandparents first reitred to Florida in the 70's, property could literally be purchased for a song. Ugh. The money that could have been made then...

Starrypup Guest
    This was actually 1993, pre-tech boom... so it THAT was considered outrageous at the time!

Mishigas73 Guest
    This was actually 1993, pre-tech boom... so it THAT was considered outrageous at the time!
    Gotcha!

miu Guest
    Beautiful pictures! However, I am like Mishigas73, and my heart is in New England. My dream is to someday have a place along the Maine seacoast.

My great grandparents had a ranch in Big Sur many many decades ago. Their place is now the Julia Pheiffer Burns State Park. Then my grandparents lived in Pebble Beach, right on Stillwater Cove. It was the only house with beachfront property. When they passed away, the golf course bought their place and moved the 17th hole over. My parents moved out to CA about 16 years ago and bought a small ranch in Winters. Now my sisters and parents live in Berkeley. I will never move to CA, and I heard that 93 octane just hit $5 a gallon the other day.

Jody<3 is offline Registered member
    Im with Angel, fix the housing prices. We could all move there and start our own Ageless neighborhood. Wouldn't that be awesome?

The pics are just breath-taking. Thanks for sharing them. ((hugs))
    What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

adeladeb Guest

Now I want to be there!

Thanks George for sharing! I want to go to Cali now!

naturewoman0123 Guest

Pictures are beautiful! been there..live here too!!

Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures! I live in CA myself, all my life..and can't seem to ever leave either..true, I want to move up to N. CA though..my daughter goes to Berkeley, and son San Luis Obispo. I love San Francisco, although I'm a smaller city person..I'd still like to live within close enough distance, to go there...

I travel a lot myself, and I haven't seen to many places that I like better than CA...sure, I love Oregon/WA, but I don't like rain...I love Colorado, that is the only place (next to CA) that is similiar...I live off 395, so I go to Yosemite/Mammoth/June Lake are ALL THE TIME...and S. Lake Tahoe...it's the best!!!!

I agree, ppl that has never been to CA, think of L.A. and that's TO ME is not CA...don't go there for Disneyland and such..go to N. CA...see San Fran., Yosemite...and of course, take that drive along highway 1...it's is FANTASTIC!!! that's why I never want to leave CA, I love the ocean! It's the only place I know..that one can go water skiing/or snow skiing, or go dirt bike riding in the desert....because, we have it all!!

naturewoman

gorillagirl Guest
    gorgeous pics. i live 15 minutes from san francisco. it does look beautiful in pictures. but the expense, the traffic,the gangs,the crime... other places are beginning to look more attractive...

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    your pictures took my breath away! wonderful to see them...

LADave is offline Born 200 years too late
    Thanks for the photo tour, George! Barely a day goes by when I don't consciously think "I'm living in CALIFORNIA!" and feel blessed in that respect. My life's certainly not perfect, but I'd much rather be working to solve my problems here than any other place!

I went out of state during the late '90s for law school, got utterly homesick, and moved back a year early. I did my third and final year of law school at Pepperdine University in Malibu. The law building is high on a hill overlooking the Pacific. When you walk in the front door and look out the picture windows on the far end, all you see is big blue ocean!

No way am I leaving Cali, ever!
    "You've got to dance like nobody's watching, and love like it's never going to hurt."--Anon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast