AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why I can't leave California

Strwbrries is offline Today me, Tomorrow you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Beautiful pictures, Geo! Truly Outstanding!!!

But, as others have mentioned, those of us not blessed with a trust fund - or the skills to earn the equivalent thereof - will have to sit out the party. I find California to be beautiful and wonderful to visit and oppressive to live and work in.

Our present property - if situated in any decent neighborhood in the S.F. Bay Area - would easily top $1m.... which is completely and utterly ridiculous IMHO.
    yeah housing prices in the city for a decent neighborhood are crazy but hey the market is dropping..lol. My mother bought her house originally a short ten years ago for just over 200k, care to guess how much it would sell for now..its insane and we're suppose to buy a house in 2 years,,,crrrazyyyy.lol

Angel is offline Anger Thrives In A Fool
    Quote Originally Posted by Strwbrries View Post
    yeah housing prices in the city for a decent neighborhood are crazy but hey the market is dropping..lol. My mother bought her house originally a short ten years ago for just over 200k, care to guess how much it would sell for now..its insane and we're suppose to buy a house in 2 years,,,crrrazyyyy.lol
    Years back my fiance's grandparents bought their house for about 50K. Their house today would sell for about 750K. The house next door to them, a 2 bedroom with a bad roof and in dire need of repairs sold for over 300K.

They live in a mediorce neighborhood but because they're so close to LA / Disney / John Wayne Airport their prices are unreasonable for us to ever consider relocating there.

His mother owns a duplex and could rent us the front portion. But we'd have to adjust from paying 700 a month rent to 1400 a month.

And I'm taking flack because there it's common practice to rent out bedrooms to make ends meet. Usually 2-3 families reside in a 2 bedroom.

His grandparents and his mother are currently renting out rooms and my fiance was raised with boarders all his life, but I can't live like that. I'm not used to that and would feel very uncomfortable and guilty for asking my children to give up their personal space to make ends meet. So we are stuck here.
    there before the threshold, I saw a brighter world beyond myself

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Years back my fiance's grandparents bought their house for about 50K. Their house today would sell for about 750K. The house next door to them, a 2 bedroom with a bad roof and in dire need of repairs sold for over 300K.

They live in a mediorce neighborhood but because they're so close to LA / Disney / John Wayne Airport their prices are unreasonable for us to ever consider relocating there.

His mother owns a duplex and could rent us the front portion. But we'd have to adjust from paying 700 a month rent to 1400 a month.

And I'm taking flack because there it's common practice to rent out bedrooms to make ends meet. Usually 2-3 families reside in a 2 bedroom.

His grandparents and his mother are currently renting out rooms and my fiance was raised with boarders all his life, but I can't live like that. I'm not used to that and would feel very uncomfortable and guilty for asking my children to give up their personal space to make ends meet. So we are stuck here.
    I wouldnt rent our rooms either, so I dont blame you for not wanting to do it. Im in northern California and Im renting a 4 bedroom house for 1525 and thats considered inexpensive for the area that I live in, I actually lucked out into this house in this neighborhood because homes in this neighborhood rent anywhere from 1600 to 2500 a month, depending on what the amenities are.

There are cheaper rents in other towns, maybe move to California but look for neighborhoods were rent isnt all crazy, the farther inland you go the less expensive the rent but you would probably have to drive anywhere from 8 to 10 hours back to LA depending on where you locate. It is worth it though, its beautiful down here and the people are great. My advice to you would be to do it now if you can because with so many buyers losing their homes the renters market is about to go up.

Im originally from San Jose, aka Silicon Valley and I left there right when the housing boom was about to start, Im glad I moved to Tracy because it allowed me to give my children better options. With what you can afford in rent, I would say look into Sacramento, Im sure that there are towns in Southern California within that price range too but they would be as I said a goodly drive away from the city. Which shouldnt be so bad, lol unless you really really really love your in laws.

Well I for one will never leave my lovely state. I love it here and with all the available microclimates in this state, I can pretty much have it all. One of my favorite towns is Monterey, Ca. I love it there and try to get over to that town at least once during the summer.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Most of all living over here in the central Valley, I miss my hills from the Silicon Valley...ahh it just seems to open over here...I love looking out during the winter and feeling the heat of the sun and looking up at the hills and seeing the snow lol...which always melted by noon. Sigh...but Clint's family is here and I dont mind the 1 hour drive back to my valley.

Snowy San Jose Hill

[IMG][/IMG]

naturewoman0123 Guest

Love CA too!!

Been here all my life! I travel a lot though, but always can't wait to come back to go old CA...but, I have to admit, sometimes I do think about moving somewhere, where it's a little slower pace...and less crowded..I live in S. CA, but am trying to move up North myself..my kids are in Berkeley, and other one in San Luis Obispo...they, will most likely stay in the N. CA areas..

I have been all over the place (in the West)...and a few places furer...I want to put some pictures up, but don't know how to do that yet...the pictures that were sent of N. CA, is so beautiful! thank-you guys!!!

It at least, shows now just how beautiful our state is, instead of hearing all bad things! I think we can split the state up N. CA and S. CA...no comparison of the beauty..although, there is some pretty places area S. Diego..but, too crowded...my favorite places up north are....

1.) LOVE the drive on Hwy. 1 up the coast!!!! the BEST!! should be voted the most scenic..

2.) LOVE the drive from S. Barbara up to Monterey...it starts getting more and more empty...especially, from Moro Bay and up...Big Sur, Carmel, around the Hearst Castle area..

3.) LOVE around the San Fran. area too! and the Redwoods above that..the views are BREATHING TAKING!!

4.) for the MOUNTAINS: The Sierra's of course...Lake Tahoe, Yosemite areas are just wonderful! take a drive up 395 is so BEAUTIFUL!! I live off 395..so, I take trips up there all the time..June Lake/Mammoth Lakes...

naturewoman

naturewoman0123 Guest

LADave

I hear ya! My daughter attends Berkeley, and went I went there for a tour and get her settled in...WOW!! it is SO BEAUTIFUL!! The college was built in the middle/late 1800's, and there's so much history there! I realize there's a lot of things that aren't good in CA, but that's only because of it probably being the most beautiful state in the Country..(I feel)..I mean, when you take in consideration the weather, beauty, opportunities, etc. etc...after all, that's probably why all the people came here in the first place..

Yet, at my age, I want to live here still..just want to live somewhere more rural...and yet, still be close enough to go to the Ocean/Mountains...right now, I live in the High Desert...close to the Mountains..but, furer from the beach..(1 1/2 hrs or two) from the Ocean...but, that still is ok...I would love to live somewhere up towards Clear Lake in N. CA...somewhere, out of the hussle and bussle..but, close enough to see all those pretty sites!! and might have to drive for work, but would be worth it..I have a good economy car!!! yeah!! 34 miles per gallon! and looking to get an 'insight'...to get even better~ but, I thought both ways..leaving CA and what other places offer..OR just put up with the cost of living here, because TO ME it's still worth it..but, of course, my house is around $700/mo..on 2 1/2 acres..rural area of S. CA..so, I don't anything to complain about..bought, long, long time ago...and a bigger house on top of that..IF I sold my house, I could buy up North..just would be someplace rural....and no property perhaps..but, IF I looked hard enough..I could find something...because, of the equity in this house now..

naturewoman

Quote Originally Posted by naturewoman0123 View Post
    I hear ya! My daughter attends Berkeley, and went I went there for a tour and get her settled in...WOW!! it is SO BEAUTIFUL!! The college was built in the middle/late 1800's, and there's so much history there! I realize there's a lot of things that aren't good in CA, but that's only because of it probably being the most beautiful state in the Country..(I feel)..I mean, when you take in consideration the weather, beauty, opportunities, etc. etc...after all, that's probably why all the people came here in the first place..

Yet, at my age, I want to live here still..just want to live somewhere more rural...and yet, still be close enough to go to the Ocean/Mountains...right now, I live in the High Desert...close to the Mountains..but, furer from the beach..(1 1/2 hrs or two) from the Ocean...but, that still is ok...I would love to live somewhere up towards Clear Lake in N. CA...somewhere, out of the hussle and bussle..but, close enough to see all those pretty sites!! and might have to drive for work, but would be worth it..I have a good economy car!!! yeah!! 34 miles per gallon! and looking to get an 'insight'...to get even better~ but, I thought both ways..leaving CA and what other places offer..OR just put up with the cost of living here, because TO ME it's still worth it..but, of course, my house is around $700/mo..on 2 1/2 acres..rural area of S. CA..so, I don't anything to complain about..bought, long, long time ago...and a bigger house on top of that..IF I sold my house, I could buy up North..just would be someplace rural....and no property perhaps..but, IF I looked hard enough..I could find something...because, of the equity in this house now..

naturewoman
    Look at the San Joaquin County area Naturewoman, it's where I am at and its about 1 maybe 2 hours away from San Francisco depending on traffic.

naturewoman0123 Guest

house prices in CA

Yeah, I really feel sorry for our children..because, I don't think they're ever going to be able to buy in CA...I forgot what they said, how much a couple needs to make, to buy a house..I mean, I live in the High Desert, (which was the cheapest, and yet able to stay in S. CA for job reasons)...and I can't even see how any YOUNG ppl can buy a house here either?

The average house price here is what? $350k or something..now, here in the High Desert, I believe you can get one in the $200k...but, still how can a younger couple even do that??? My son and his wife to be, is most likely going to move to the Walnut Creek up North..he will be making pretty good money, as a Civil Engineer..and she's going to school still to be a Teacher..but, she's works f/t right now..and still, they couldn't buy a house...

naturewoman

Quote Originally Posted by naturewoman0123 View Post
    Yeah, I really feel sorry for our children..because, I don't think they're ever going to be able to buy in CA...I forgot what they said, how much a couple needs to make, to buy a house..I mean, I live in the High Desert, (which was the cheapest, and yet able to stay in S. CA for job reasons)...and I can't even see how any YOUNG ppl can buy a house here either?

The average house price here is what? $350k or something..now, here in the High Desert, I believe you can get one in the $200k...but, still how can a younger couple even do that??? My son and his wife to be, is most likely going to move to the Walnut Creek up North..he will be making pretty good money, as a Civil Engineer..and she's going to school still to be a Teacher..but, she's works f/t right now..and still, they couldn't buy a house...

naturewoman
    In san jose I believe the average house sells for 450k, in the town of tracy where Iam at now the average house sells for about 350k and rising...but the outskirt towns sell for lower. Walnut Creek is expensiveeeeee, but it is one of the better bay area towns to live in.

BellaLove Guest
    Now I have my own opinions about owning property in CA. About 5 years ago I bought a townhome in Solvang, CA for just under 1/2 a million and just a year ago I had to sell because of the financial burden it was creating for me. It sold for less than I bought it for. Not only was I sold a horrible loan that practically doubled within the last 2 years, but just all the expenses that go along with owning your own property became too much to handle.
    I don't think I will EVER buy property again...well maybe in Buzios, Brazil.

Anyhoo...I'm back to renting and I couldn't be happier!! Although it is tough finding places that will accept pets. The cost of living is so expensive and sometimes you wonder if it's really worth it. I feel like I work 24/7 and when I'm not working I'm either sleeping because of exhaustion or house cleaning. Over all yes it is amazing what CA has to offer. But it's not cool to be here and be broke off your *****.

So I live in Solvang which is the Danish capital of America...it's in the Santa Ynez Valley, a tucked away gem of an area, right on the border of southern CA and central CA. Many celebs hide out in this area since it's so private and spread out with ranches everywhere. Michael Jackson, Bo Derek, Kim Basinger, John Corbett (Aidan from Sex and the City), Ellen and so many other's have called this area home. I work in Santa Barbara so it's only a quick 20 minute drive down south to get to work. I lived in Santa Barbara from the ages of 12 to 22. And before that I lived in L.A. with my family. One of my favorite drives is up the 1 going north. Oh my gosh it's so beautiful! Big Sur, Carmel, it's amazing how diverse our state is!

naturewoman0123 Guest

Playing with Pictures

This is California. Woo

This is more of California. Double Woo

nature

lovemytwins is offline Senior Member
    Those are one of the most beautiful pics I have seen. Thanks for sharing.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

IHEARTanAFguy Guest
    Any pictures of the Painted Ladies?

I was born in San Francisco and still currently living in the Bay Area. I love it here to but I am willing to move to Minn. If anything happened between my love interest. Besides I can always come and visit since my folks won't be leaving California anytime soon.
    Last edited by IHEARTanAFguy; 11-24-2007 at 12:18 AM.

Ariel22 Guest
    Everyone's pictures are gorgeous!

I love living in CA!!! I could not imagine living anywhere else....except for Italy!

I love living an hour away from Lake Tahoe and a few hours away from the ocean!

IHEARTanAFguy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel22 View Post
    Everyone's pictures are gorgeous!

I love living in CA!!! I could not imagine living anywhere else....except for Italy!

I love living an hour away from Lake Tahoe and a few hours away from the ocean!

I agree with you about Italy,Arizona, and Hawaii.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123