AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: wtf is up w/the "Big TV" thing???

NY10 is offline Senior Member
    I am not a man but I enjoy a big screen TV. I enjoy movies and am a big big sport fan. I love hockey and baseball. In our living room we have a 55" on the wall, in the kitchen we have a 32" on the wall the bedroom has a 45" in it, the man cave also have a 50". We have surround sound in the man cave and a nice stereo system in the living room with speakers that fill the house.

I love electronics and like I said, to watch a great movie on the big screen is nice and don't even get me started with the sports. I remember when I was 10 and got my first TV in my bedroom it was a tiny small little 15" box. I liked it but couldn't wait until I was bigger to get a bigger TV.

I can't explain why I like it I just do. I go to people's houses and see the types of TV's they have. We have all flat screen LCD's and the newest LED's that are mounted and have Verizon Fios with all the channels, you'd think with all that we'd be able to find something on TV to watch at night but that is a topic for something else.
    Azureth and Angel like this.

Azureth is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SheLikesKitties View Post
    No, it's not generational differences. If the TV is on, my husband will be paying attention to the TV and not the guests. Probably my son will join him, then other men next, and there goes the party, with half the people (mostly men) watching TV and the other half (mostly female) trying to have a conversation.

At least now that the TV has it's own room, the men can go to their cave and us women can have the rest of the house.
    Hmm...Interesting. Granted, most of the time I've had lots of people over we've been doing other activities such as multiplayer games or drinking so I'm sure that has something to do with it. When I have just a few guests, say 2-3 people we'll have the TV on and kinda watch it while talking at the same time. Sometimes we may just "veg out" and watch a show/movie we agreed on but it hasn't hurt our friendship, we'll usually talk about what we're watching or wait till it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by NY10 View Post
    I am not a man but I enjoy a big screen TV. I enjoy movies and am a big big sport fan. I love hockey and baseball. In our living room we have a 55" on the wall, in the kitchen we have a 32" on the wall the bedroom has a 45" in it, the man cave also have a 50". We have surround sound in the man cave and a nice stereo system in the living room with speakers that fill the house.

I love electronics and like I said, to watch a great movie on the big screen is nice and don't even get me started with the sports. I remember when I was 10 and got my first TV in my bedroom it was a tiny small little 15" box. I liked it but couldn't wait until I was bigger to get a bigger TV.

I can't explain why I like it I just do. I go to people's houses and see the types of TV's they have. We have all flat screen LCD's and the newest LED's that are mounted and have Verizon Fios with all the channels, you'd think with all that we'd be able to find something on TV to watch at night but that is a topic for something else.
    I know this may sound weird coming from a man but, you go girl!

MM it seems to me your main issue with it is space. If you lived in a decently sized house and the TV were, say, mounted to the wall would you care as much?

VenusDarkStarLA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
    Yep, it's so awesome seeing movies in a big HD television, preferably with a surround sound system.

Not knocking you, but I'd bet $10, you're one of those "I buy movies in fullscreen because I don't like the black bars on the top and bottom and don't see how widescreen makes it look better" people
    Depends on the film actually. Sometimes you might miss part of a scene with full screen, but that would probably only be important if it were an action type of film and that's why some films seem to lose dimension when shown on TV. OK, I admit those black bars in wide screen bothered me a LOT at first, but I learned to deal with it. LOL

Angel is offline Anger Thrives In A Fool
    I haven't seen a big screen I'd consider too large for my living room, yet. In fact, we have two TVs in our living room! One is 42" & one is 55". The smaller one is wall mounted above our bigger floor model. I got tired of wanting to watch TV but never being able to do so since someone always seemed to be on it so now I've got my own. It works out great since I can stream Netflix on the one TV and they can game on the other one (with the volume way down).

A bigger TV is easier on the eyes, especially after a long day of work. I feel I can take in the visual field better and since people often comment on how men are visual creatures, a big screen TV would fit with that line of thought. Immersion into whatever is on the screen makes me smile just thinking about it! Outside of that, I'm hearing impaired and rely on subtitles that are easier to read on a larger screen.

Azureth, we're like you. We end up gathered and chatting with each other about whatever we're watching especially if gaming is involved!
    Azureth likes this.
    there before the threshold, I saw a brighter world beyond myself

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    I haven't seen a big screen I'd consider too large for my living room, yet. In fact, we have two TVs in our living room! One is 42" & one is 55". The smaller one is wall mounted above our bigger floor model. I got tired of wanting to watch TV but never being able to do so since someone always seemed to be on it so now I've got my own. It works out great since I can stream Netflix on the one TV and they can game on the other one (with the volume way down).

A bigger TV is easier on the eyes, especially after a long day of work. I feel I can take in the visual field better and since people often comment on how men are visual creatures, so a big screen TV would fit with that line of thought. Immersion into whatever is on the screen makes me smile just thinking about it! Outside of that, I'm hearing impaired and rely on subtitles that are easier to read on a larger screen.
    Ain't that the truth! In my case I sit on my couch about 8 feet away and can still have trouble seeing certain things. I can't even imagine it being smaller!

MM, do you have one of those flatscreen TVs or the big hulky ones?

Ain't that the truth! In my case I sit on my couch about 8 feet away and can still have trouble seeing certain things. I can't even imagine it being smaller!

MM, do you have one of those flatscreen TVs or the big hulky ones?

That makes sense. In fact the couch vs. TV location became a discussion for me and hubby when we added the second TV. We sounded like the article below!

How big a TV should I buy? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

You know, this thread reminded me of a scene in Back to the future part I where Marty is talking to his future mothers parents and he mentions he has two TVs and everyone looks at him like he's crazy and the dad just plays it off as a joke. And that movie was made in '85! Imagine the same scene today
    Angel likes this.

You know, this thread reminded me of a scene in Back to the future part I where Marty is talking to his future mothers parents and he mentions he has two TVs and everyone looks at him like he's crazy and the dad just plays it off as a joke. And that movie was made in '85! Imagine the same scene today
    Right? You have your dream set-up for your PC. This is my dream set-up. My very own magic mirror on the wall.

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    rely on subtitles that are easier to read on a larger screen.
    I have a weird relationship with subtitles.

When I did not speak English I relied on Spanish subtitles. Now I speak English but I still want subtitles. If I cannot get them in Spanish, I am OK with English, and if no Spanish or English is available, I will take French, which I do not speak. I just like to see the letters at the bottom of the screen.

Angel likes this.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

A few pics of my setup, ignore the mess:

EDIT: Also NY10 I suggest you edit your post. If MM sees not only how many TVs you have but how big they are you may give her a heart attack!
    Last edited by Azureth; 04-28-2013 at 06:04 PM.
    Angel and SheLikesKitties like this.

Sweetness147 is offline Banned
    I have 3 big screen TVs. One that is 50' mounted to the wall in the living room, a 42' in my bedroom, and a 40' in my guest room. I love watching movies in blu-ray and the bigger/wider screen. I couldn't go back to anything ~40'.

AmandaAlice is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a guy either, but I'm another one who likes big tvs. Right now we have a little old square one, maybe about 22" or so, not sure. But I'd love to have a big flat screen on the wall, at least 52". Would like to have the whole theater shebang too. Right now playing PS3 games on the one we have is ridiculous, any words that appear on the screen are so tiny they can't be read, even if I get real close. We're also big into movies, so a nice tv would be great for that. What few people we ever get over here I don't want to look at or sit in the quiet with anyway, so the tv is good for distraction
    Angel and Azureth like this.

Just wanted to give a shout-out to all the ladies that posted! It's nice for others to know that wanting a big TV and/or a nice surround sound system isn't just a "guy" thing.
    Angel likes this.

pinkunicorn is offline Senior Member
    We watch a lot of movies, and in our den, the TV is supposed to be the focal point. We have a front room or "living room" right as you come into our house. This is where the nice couch and cozy chairs are for entertaining and socializing.

Speaking of movies...

:

The other day I took the kids out for a fast-food treat. In my 7 year old daughter's meal, she got a dinosaur toy and a Jurassic Park poster. Here is the conversation that happened:

DD-age 7: I saw Jurassic Park at my friend's house!
    Me: I saw that movie when it came out in the theaters. I was in high school then. (Mid 1990's)
    DS-age 10: Was it in black and white?
    Me: Oh you did NOT just say that!!
    OM: That would be more my time than your mother's!
    Azureth and AmandaAlice like this.
    Never try to fit in when you are meant to stand out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast