AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: wtf is up w/the "Big TV" thing???

Azureth is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    az- i am genuinely asking what is cool about these characters and what awesome qualities they possess (eg: superpowers, etc). i want to know, if you had to describe them, what makes them fabulous.
    Oh, well, it's kinda hard to explain really. You would have to play one of their games to really get it. They are called platformers and Sonic can run super fast, spin dash all sorts of things. Mario can jump high, stomp on enemies, throw fireballs, fly with a special suit etc.
    gorillagirl likes this.

gorillagirl Guest
    yeh, that's what i wanted to know. thanks.

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Quote Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
    Mario can jump high, stomp on enemies, throw fireballs, fly with a special suit etc.
    If you have the skills. Otherwise Mario will fall in precipices, run his car into a post, be killed by a monster, become miniature Mario, and walk into brick walls.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

whiterose is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuffins View Post
    I need a guy--a person who has an actual penis--to explain the big TV thing to me. I don't flat-out don't get it, never have, and probably never will. Please be aware in advance that I am merely attempting to understand--and have no desire to embrace--the Big TV Perspective.

Bigger *isn't* better--30" (75 cm, diagonal measurement) is as large a TV as I want or need. As items of furniture go, TVs and electronics are not particularly attractive. Even a small TV has the capacity to become the room's focal point. As soon as the thing is switched on, the room's occupants and decor take a backseat to the "boob tube." With all its accouterments--entertainment center/cabinet and storage for gaming consoles, games, DVDs, etc., it dominates/overwhelms the room even when the power is off. Accommodating the TV and all the crap that goes with it restricts the room's functionality and design options. The larger the damned thing gets, the more true these things become.

Furthermore, who *needs* the screen to be so large that the actors, athletes, etc. are life sized?

MM
    I had the same tv (27in) for 15 years until 2 yrs ago when it finally gave up the ghost. As a treat to myself, I decided to go big and bought a 65" flat panel HD DLP (Projection) tv. And it was one of the best presents I have ever given myself.

Yes, it is probably way too big for my home, but it has made our movie watching experience so much better. I notice many more details than I ever did before.

It may not be for everyone. But, it works for us. Glad I bought it.
    Angel likes this.

Stiletto is offline Senior Member
    We have a 42" LED tv. It's easy on my eyes, and in the evening we do like to gather and watch something (Chris, me, and my eldest son who still lives with us). Now that we have the PVR (like Tivo but Canadian) we'll often pause to discuss what we think is going to happen, or just chat about something the scene reminded us of.. whatever. We don't really socialize with friends at home, and I'm not fussed about creating a showplace.. so this works for us.

I find I need the down time of a show or two before bedtime.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Age gap: 22 years, 6 days.

trolleycar is offline I still play with trains
    I have a 32" hi def TV in the family room. But I hardly turn it on. And my girl Friend as asked could we get a large screen TV for our bed room I iI found a great deal on I think a 52 inch HI DEF TV for the bedroom to go on the Far wall of the bedroom that is 25 feet away from the bed. and I also got 7.1 surround sound home theater system. The TV is mounted on the wall. and the speakers are mounted around the room. I have that the system for Two months .
    I have Used the system one evening. Two watch three DVD's TOP GUN, THE FINAL COUNT DOWN and UNSTOPPABLE . I have not used the TV once as to me there is only five show I watch much at all. the four Powerblock TV Shows (About auto DIY) and Gold Rush Alaska . they are the only shows I find interesting.
    I also have two Thirty inch Dell computer Monitors for mt Digital Darkroom and I spend most for my time posting takes up most of my free time .
    I also watch a lot of YouTube I find out that there is a lot of very interesting surround. Like the other day I had to replace TCU (transmission Control unit ) I found a video on how to do that.And I watch a lot of programs in the computer also.

Azureth is offline Banned
    Methinks MM didn't get the replies she was expecting.....

Harp girl is offline Member
    I am happily living without a TV. My computer screen is plenty big enough to watch movies. I love books. Maybe I'll buy myself a kindle because I am once again having to downsize. (Oh it hurts to give away books)

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Quote Originally Posted by Harp girl View Post
    I am happily living without a TV. My computer screen is plenty big enough to watch movies. I love books. Maybe I'll buy myself a kindle because I am once again having to downsize. (Oh it hurts to give away books)
    I have lost so many books with moves that now that I have a Kindle, I bought several of my favorites. I now have a tablet instead of a Kindle and it is soooo useful!
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

marklogan51 is offline Member

Whtf do know?

I have read with interest what everyone's opinion is on the size of the tv. However, I have a different view of this thread. I have to admit my opinion is bigger is better if you have room for it. However, what questions me about the thread is what is everyone's knowledge about electronics. If you have a good sound system with the new tv that can sway an opinion. Most think getting a stereo at Best Buy is good enough. However, if you do not have a quality receiver with a good speaker system then it does not matter how big your TV is. I use my big screen to watch movies. I have a very expensive receiver because of its ability to give me clear sound and its ability to separate the sound. I wonder what peoples' opinion would be if they could afford what they want depending on the size of your space to watch tv. I bought a 55 but realize a 70 would have been better for the space I have. However my upgrade will wait as tech continues to change. Note I am happy to watch tv in my kitchen on the 22 lcd.

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
    Methinks MM didn't get the replies she was expecting.....
    Not at all.

I seriously don't get the big TV thing, and I wouldn't have any insight on the perspectives of others if I didn't ask.

Part of it is due to a difference in behaviors associated with the TV. I'm not a TV-holic. For most of my adult life, I have had one TV and it was in the living room. I'm not big on having a TV in the bedroom--not even for children's movies or kids' gaming systems, because I'm big on knowing what your kids watch--and I'm not sure why people would want a TV in the kitchen or bathroom. (It's along the same line of who in his right mind looked at a pile of fish guts, saw eggs in there, and thought "that looks like food" much less "let's add salt to that s-h-i-t and call it a delicacy!") I can see why folks would have a TV in the workshop, laundry or sewing room, though.

When the configuration of the house permits it, my preference is to arrange the house so the TV isn't visible from the dining room table. When I'm home by myself, I am more likely to have the TV off than on. I don't like to have the TV on during dinner.

It's not necessarily the size of the TV. It depends more on the size of the room, and the other purposes the room must serve for the people who live there. I don't understand having a huge-a-s-s TV in living room that's so small you can't get far enough away from the screen to enjoy the picture, or putting so much into a "good" TV and then not having a decent sound system to go with it.

I didn't want to be insensitive to the grumpy guy on the issue because it's something that just doesn't compute for me. OTOH, I felt like he was being incredibly insensitive to me by insisting upon keeping his defunct 10+ year old big screen in the living room for nearly 6 months after it died. I was upset about it over Christmas, and I don't understand why I had to have what I feel like amounts to a total f*cking meltdown over it in May before he thought it was worth doing something about. (Which I did, right after we found out he's sick and he gave me crap about it when I set my foot down on taking care of the lengthy "honey do" list around here before chemo starts to kick his a-s-s.)

He had it taken to storage rather than dispose of it. He's convinced it can be repaired. I told him that I hope I'm wrong, but I want him to be prepared for the possibility that it'll be more expensive to repair the TV than to replace it with a better one.

Bottom line is: it's out of the house and I'm much, much, MUCH happier now.

MM
    gorillagirl likes this.
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

Young@Heart is offline Neophyte
    Yeah I got a 32" at home. I'd go cinema size with full surround if I could afford it. Game of Thrones on a movie screen, forgettaboutit! Girlfriend on the other hand doesn't watch TV cause she's afraid she'll get sucked in and end up wasting her life. To which I said "Good girl!" Hah hah hah. Kinda makes me wonder about the 180 hours I put into Skyrim but then I was single at the time

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Young@Heart;657224Game of Thrones on a movie screen, forgettaboutit![/QUOTE]

I'd probably watch Game of Thrones on ANY screen! I read the first 3 books 15 years ago.

The grumpy guy got a good deal on a PS3, for something to do while he's on chemo & bored with TV. His son hooked it up the other day, and I concede that I can now see why someone would want a big-screen HDTV for mutliplayer mode & online gaming. It's been more than 7 years since I did any gaming, so I was really out of touch with that.

For what *I* use the TV for (watching DVDs and TV), the oldy-moldy 32" Magnavox is just fine. While I can now see a perceived "need" for a big TV, there's still a significant difference in our TV etiquette, preferences & habits.

MM
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234