AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: I'm too weird to fit in anywhere

fiorinda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    "And why on God's green earth are they making crayons available to 2 year olds?! "

Yes, why??
    My grandson is 19 months old, he uses crayons regularly at nursery (and always tastes them!!). My own children used crayons regularly at this age - it's normal for small children to be given crayons and paper, it's good for the development of their manual dexterity, their creativity, their understanding of how the world works, all kinds of things. And yes, they chew them - that's why crayons are made non-toxic. The issue ought to be how many 2 year olds were you responsible for while they were crayoning. It ought to be few enough that you could prevent them from actually eating the crayons without having to take them away and stop them having fun with them. If it was too many for that then maybe your workplace doesn't have a high enough staff to child ratio.
    gorillagirl and soul like this.

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiorinda View Post
    My own children used crayons regularly at this age - it's normal for small children to be given crayons and paper, it's good for the development of their manual dexterity, their creativity, their understanding of how the world works, all kinds of things. And yes, they chew them - that's why crayons are made non-toxic.
    Mine didn't, because there are innumerable other toys and learning activities that allow toddlers to develop fine motor skills and explore the world that are infinitely more age-appropriate than crayons. Crayons aren't intended for use by toddlers--that's why there's a "not for children under age X" on the package, X varying according to the design of the crayon. I've seen some "jumbo" crayons that were for children age 3, and some mid-sized "glitter" crayons not for use by small children, as well as the the standard-sized crayons (those that are about the diameter of a pencil). While most children's crayons are non-toxic (the non-toxicity of any crayon made in China is questionable) they are certainly not intended for human consumption.

Children who are teething or in a "mouthing" stage shouldn't be given access to anything--food, toy, or otherwise--that is just as likely to break into chunks large enough to present a choking hazard as crumble into bits small enough to be inhaled into the lungs. That's why we baby-proof our homes, supervise small children as best we can no matter what they're doing, and do things like cut & mash their food for them.

In most communities, there are regulations that the toys, activity centers, learning stations and furniture in the toddler room at a licensed nursery school or day care center have to be cleaned and disinfected daily, or immediately after an "accident." (omg, can you imagine the insanity of disinfecting the crayons?)

MM
    AmandaAlice and gorillagirl like this.
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

AmandaAlice is offline Senior Member
    Have to agree about the crayons, my kid's 3 and I still catch him puttin stupid stuff in his mouth from time to time. We tried regular crayons, and jumbo crayons (Crayola only please!) and he was more interested in peeling the paper and snapping the crayons into pieces. He did color, just more as a side activity to destroying the crayons. So we got him those new Twistable crayons, remind me of some of my eye shadow sticks, it's all plastic and you turn the end and crayon comes out. Now he colors with em instead of trying to deconstruct them. And haven't once caught him trying to eat em

fiorinda Guest
    Sweetie was talking about 2 year olds, not babies. Maybe things are different here in the UK. Crayons are and always have been the norm in nurseries - NOT for babies as far as I know. I'm not aware they disinfect everything daily either. I'll ask next time I pick Alfie up, but I don't think they do. My son, who is studying graphic design at University now, has very early memories of crayonning and drawing, both my kids loved it. I can remember my daughter using felt tip pens under the age of 3, with supervision (babywipes will get felt tip pen ink out of upholstery!).

But we really are digressing!!

gorillagirl Guest
    sweetie-
    i am 51 years old. in my 20s/30s, i worked for travel agencies and airlines. in my 30s/40s, i was a teacher (public school) and now in my 50s, i'm a state certified massage therapist and work in a spa. it's NORMAL to try careers and find out you're not a great fit or happy in those positions and move on. don't feel bad about yourself, what you're going through (career uncertainty) affects MOST people over time. keep looking for other jobs and be confident for now. you'll know in a few more years if working with kids is right for you or not. definitely continue seeing a psych for evals on any other issues you might have. employers are required to make reasonable accommodations for persons with 'disabilities" including emotional/social.
    Last edited by gorillagirl; 07-03-2013 at 09:38 PM.
    pinkunicorn and soul like this.

soul is offline Senior Member
    I don't really have anything to add that hasn't already been said here Sweetie, only to say your Director sounds like a rude A - hole.

Seriously they need to learn some social skills before they go pointing fingers at others. You can't be trusted to be closer to kids and other teachers dread working with you? Oh 'rly.

Remember this when you're next doubting yourself and your skills. Kids tell it how it is, they are unashamedly honest, almost to the point of being brutal. So, if they're wanting to sit on your lap and want to hug you, then that should tell you in itself your doing just fine. Don't let your director bully you.
    pinkunicorn likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12