AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Is it bad business to close early, even by a few minutes?

gorillagirl Guest
    LOL!
    nazis...
    i was oblivious on sunday night when my fave restaurant was closing at 7pm instead of 9pm (building closes early on sunday) and had driven 30 miles to get there. they were closing as i approached the counter. i was 5 minutes late but they took my order even though it delayed their clean up.
    helps that i'm a diehard loyal customer and i begged!

(faith: loving hut -vegan vietnamese- in westfield shopping center on market/5th- have you tried it? same owners as golden era on o'farrell and leavenworth)

i vote for chit chat to lose the om/yw ym/ow designation. faith's idea is great. one chit chat area called "general fluff."

truth is, lots of these chit-chat conversations can get quite heated and it's not always pretty. some have been deleted due to drama.

NY10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    LOL!

truth is, lots of these chit-chat conversations can get quite heated and it's not always pretty. some have been deleted due to drama.
    Off topic but I agree with this. I think the basic chit-chat stuff gets more involved and heated than the actual relationship drama.
    gorillagirl likes this.

SummerBob is offline Super Moderator
    I would imagine some relationship-related topics that are posted here probably belong in relationship support.

Also, some people may mistake "chit chat" for political discussions, which belong in the Den. I would guess that some heated discussions were in that category.

When posting in chit chat, it's better to err on the side of being trivial than to err on the side of something belonging in relationship support or politics.

I also agree that OM/YW vs. YW/OM are meaningless here. One "general fluff" category sounds good.
    Azureth and ukfireball like this.
    Like Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet."

Redhead is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
    So my friend went to pick up an item yesterday and got there 5 minutes before closing time but the owner just kept saying they're closed. My friend even told him there's 5 minutes left before it's supposed to close but the owner didn't care he just kept saying they're closed.

Same thing happened to me awhile back. Got there 7 minutes before they close and the owner just kept telling me they're closed.

Seriously, if your sign says you are open till X then shouldn't they be open till X? I realize it takes time to close up shop and stuff, but really if you're going to do this you may as well add a "Open till x....but we close 5-10 minutes early".
    I think it was extremely rude of the shop owner, especially since your gf was already there. It is not okay to close earlier (unless the shop owner:s mother is in the ICU ) because some people come from far away and maybe especially buy a train ticket or spend gas money to get to the store.
    I work at the outskirts of a town, but I do my shopping in the city center. I would be furious if a store had opening hours until 8 p.m and would decide to close at 7.50 p.m. just because the owner was in the mood to do so.
    It is really not my problem what all the shop owner has to do once the store has closed. If he wants to get home earlier, he has to shorten his opening hours.
    Some businesses seem to think "life would be so nice without customers" *sarcasm*. We have those places here, too.
    SheLikesKitties likes this.

VenusDarkStarLA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
    So my friend went to pick up an item yesterday and got there 5 minutes before closing time but the owner just kept saying they're closed. My friend even told him there's 5 minutes left before it's supposed to close but the owner didn't care he just kept saying they're closed.

Same thing happened to me awhile back. Got there 7 minutes before they close and the owner just kept telling me they're closed.

Seriously, if your sign says you are open till X then shouldn't they be open till X? I realize it takes time to close up shop and stuff, but really if you're going to do this you may as well add a "Open till x....but we close 5-10 minutes early".
    So you were just there to pick up an item and he still didn't let you in? It sounds like it was something you had already ordered or you knew exactly what you wanted, so the transaction shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. In that case...bad business!

Now if it was that close to closing time and someone is inconsiderate enough of my time to just wander in and browse, I would ask them to come back another time. I've worked retail in the past, and it used to irritate me when customers would wander in to "looky-loo", within 5-10 minutes of closing time. Fortunately, the store was in a mall environment, so security would come around and tell the customers to come back another day, because the mall is closed!

Because of my retail experience, I try to be considerate of shop owners, knowing that they have a life too. But one time I completely forgot about the shorter hours on Sunday, and was dismayed to find one of my frequently visited shops closed, with the gate already shut. But when the owner spotted me, he knew it would be a quick sale and only asked me if I could pay cash because he already had the credit card transactions closed. So I paid cash and left quickly. I haven't forgotten the store operating hours since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12