AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: displaced Filipinos

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member
    mskitty,

Maybe this is a good time of year for you to "get your feet wet" with volunteering?

There are so many opportunities this time of year, you may fall in love with an organization and form a lasting connection. It's a perfect time to go with whatever floats your boat: If you like gift wrapping, there are several organizations that need gift wrap and able hands to wrap holiday gifts to needy families. Food banks may be in need of extra hands to inventory and assemble holiday food baskets for Thanksgiving & Christmas. Soup kitchens and warming shelters may be in need of volunteers to prepare, serve, staff (help with sign in, etc)... If you like letter writing, there are thank you notes; if you like administrative tasks, there are fundraising campaigns...

American Red Cross needs volunteers for just about everything--from hands-on disaster relief to something as "simple" as being on hand to make calls in the evening to the families of active duty military when they're trying to help bring someone home due to a family emergency.

There are quilting and needlework groups who make quilts/lap blankets/shawls of all sizes for those in long term care, veterans homes, people who have cancer, kids in children's homes, foster children...

Dept of Corrections may need volunteers for GED/literacy efforts...

University Extension has all kinds of programs with all kinds of volunteer opportunities, including 4H (for kids) and a "master gardeners" program which is usually also involved with things like CSA and community gardens...

With everything you've recently experienced and may be going through now, as a proactive "take care of mskitty" move, think about what is and is not good for you. If volunteering with an organization is likely to put you in a situation which triggers bad memories for you, it's okay to know that about yourself and choose to not go there. There are plenty of opportunities; it's okay to leave those for someone else who won't be traumatized by the experience.

I was hoping no one would think I'm a bad person because--while I feel compassion for the situation--I don't feel compelled to "do anything" about the Filipino and other tsunami victims. It's got nothing to do with anything, other than the knowledge that when kindhearted "outsiders" come in and "respond" to pleas for help in situations like that, it doesn't empower anyone. It promotes learned helplessness and continued dependency. The people who live there tend to not learn from the disaster and take a proactive approach to the next one; the expectation is that they don't have to do anything because someone will "respond" the next time it happens, too. The only guarantee that comes with natural disasters is that there *will* be a next time.

While we will never be able to prevent natural disasters, humans can do a great deal to mitigate the effects of natural disasters with improved building codes, disaster planning, sanitation practices, natural resources management (rather than exploitation), not contributing to overpopulation, etc. That's one of the things my Bengali friend taught me after the disaster in Bangladesh a few years ago.

*hugs*

MM
    mskitty likes this.
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    Here's a comprehensive list published by USA Today:

How you can help Typhoon Haiyan survivors
    mskitty likes this.
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
    You are great GG...no not Catholic... Mom is from Usingen Im Taunus, Germany.. They owned a bakery...Moses family. Americans marched in and Dad was a sgt in the army WW2 (saved the day)married mom and brought her to Indiana...so the reality of that was ...no religion was introduced...I am free lance...lol... Also I just talked with mom's therapist who is Filipino and set me straight on a few things...so I am going to pass on the initial proposal for now...I should have done more research /homework before trying to jump in with both feet... it was just overwhelming for me at this time in my life..Mike and I breaking up..no life in this old house .lonely and worn out.... and of course I am a giver... always willing to help someone that is more needy than me.. but I have to realize my limits and mom is so old that any kind of bug will kill her. She is 88 now and not in good health. I am glad I could get this talked thru here before I made a solid commitment to someone .. I just spoke too quickly.
    Maybe you hadn't thought everything through at first. But your heart was in the right place and that speaks volumes about your character and the woman you are. You have my respect, admiration, and love.

Sending you hugs and good thoughts for you and your Mom....
    MissMuffins, Mebel and mskitty like this.

gorillagirl Guest
    actually, there are some vegetarian filipinos, the 7th day adventists and there are some awesome filipino veg recipes here: http://www.veganpinoy.com/

:-)
    mskitty likes this.

mskitty is offline Member
    Dear Kristine,

Thank you for contacting the American Red Cross.
    We appreciate your kind offer to share housing with a disaster survivor.
    The Red Cross is not involved in granting entry to the United States -- only the US govt has that authority -- therefore, there is no mechanism for us to know who might gain entry to the US from the Philippines, or where they would go.

We do appreciate your thoughtfulness, and for future reference, local information is best shared with your local Red Cross office.

Thank you again!
    Sincerely,
    American Red Cross Public Inquiry
    MissMuffins and theREALTrish like this.

mskitty is offline Member
    Of course the survivors could be dropped off in Naco and walk across the border or use a couple of underground tunnels .. at least the government would not have to be involved ...when I had my ranch there in Bisbee right off border road...folks walked across everyday and used my windmill as a point of reference and also to get water from my holding tanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12