AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Ageist commercial on the radio

soul is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiorinda View Post
    I don't think anyone really ought to have the right to tell people what they should accept in terms of humour, particularly people from groups who suffer daily personal and institutionalised discrimination which I can't even begin to relate to. Calling it hysteria when people become offended at jokes that ridicule them rather diminishes their genuine hurt and offence, don't you think? Whether a person is gay or straight or Bi or trans, black, Asian, caucasian, any other ethnicity, if they are a Christian or a Muslim or a Hindu or a Buddhist or a Pagan or an Atheist. For everyone there is probably something that is important to who they are, perhaps something they couldn't change even if they wanted to, and that it would offend them to have the piss taken out of them for, no matter how 'gentle' or 'good natured' the perpetrator might consider it to be. I personally have little time or love for organised religion, but I wouldn't want to offend someone who was devout by making jokes about their religion that made them feel upset or uncomfortable.

I can't imagine that ad getting shown on British TV, even in the 90s, Summerbob! That's just appalling!

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this topic. No one is telling anyone what they can and can't be offended by. I would just like it if people would get less offended, when there is in is lot of cases (IMO) nothing to be really offended over. And that hysteria more often than not doesn't always come from whom the joke was made about, but by others - aka jumping on the band wagon. Time doesn't serve me well these days to have time to get into a big debate as tempting as it might be for me. However a wise man once wrote 'some people are just waiting to be offended' I think it was Trolleycar actually. I have to agree with him.
    gorillagirl likes this.

gorillagirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerBob View Post
    Would you find it humorous and not offensive if it was "toyboy" instead of "trophy wife"?

i think it's funny, yes, because there are so many real life scenarios where this is TRUE.
    either way, boy toy, gigilo, trophy wife, gold digger...there is TRUTH in that advertisement and it's funny that he had the balls to state it.

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    i think it's funny, yes, because there are so many real life scenarios where this is TRUE.
    either way, boy toy, gigilo, trophy wife, gold digger...there is TRUTH in that advertisement and it's funny that he had the balls to state it.
    But not all truths are accepted as appropriate for advertising.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

gorillagirl Guest
    it's still funny. my father is now in discussions with an attorney to change his will to include a woman he met 4 months ago. it's just an advertisement. real life is what is offensive.
    theREALTrish likes this.

theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    it's still funny. my father is now in discussions with an attorney to change his will to include a woman he met 4 months ago. it's just an advertisement. real life is what is offensive.
    Ugh! That doesn't sound good.
    gorillagirl likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12