AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: MICE attack!!!

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    thanks faith. even one cat=itchy eyes/nose/sneezing.
    Well, as I said, that was the case for me, too, at first. But I adapted very quickly. I didn't let her sleep with me, that was the main thing. Even now, my cat has her own sleeping basket in a separate area.

also, cat food will be food for mice, right?
    Nope, not at all.

You know, the SF SPCA has a 30-day return policy for adopted animals that don't work out. (Or rather, I should say, for owners that don't work out. ) You might consider paying a visit to the SPCA to scope out your options. Some cats are less "sneezy" than others; ask them to help find you a good one. However, if you mention that it's for mousing, I doubt they'll let you adopt. I have a feeling that you would make a good owner.

I've always owned spayed females, therefore no spraying. And no mice.
    Last edited by Faith; 09-07-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    gorillagirl likes this.
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

gorillagirl Guest
    i will speak to my roommate about it...maybe cat sit awhile. i'm just afraid that my furnitures, carpet (i hate carpet) will forever be catified...and i'll be allergic forever. but i will think about it.

degausser is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for humane traps. But I did want to mention that I've been allergic to cats my entire life, and been living with my boyfriend's two cats for 3 years. I have not experienced any kind of immunity/resistance to them. I need one daily and 3 "as needed" prescriptions to you know, breathe. If I pet them and don't wash my hands, I break out into hives. Sometimes even after washing my hands. Prior to obtaining my "as needed" prescriptions I literally thought I was dying. Soo sickly and tired, all the time. If I could change only one thing about my boyfriend, it would be his love of cats.

I'm not exaggerating, after this living experience, I would stay vigilant at night and catch mice with my bare hands before inviting a cat into my home. Seriously.

I would think longgg and hard about getting a cat. There is no guarantee that you could adjust and there's no guarantee that it would solve your problem. And I'm sure as a vegan you understand that bringing a pet into your home is not a decision that should be made lightly.

I like MM's suggestion.
    gorillagirl and mskitty like this.

How's it going there, GG? Or should I say MG?
    SheLikesKitties likes this.

gorillagirl Guest
    faith- funny! MG!
    caught 3 mice humanely in 8 days. not so great. last night, some came and ate but didn't make it inside the catch/release traps. it's very stressful. thanks.

mskitty Guest
    faith- funny! MG!
    caught 3 mice humanely in 8 days. not so great. last night, some came and ate but didn't make it inside the catch/release traps. it's very stressful. thanks.
    Please remember to walk across several streets to release...cause they were outside before coming inside so they have a path...sounds like they maybe babies and too light to set trap off...stay diligent... you will get them ...Oh and plant some mint around the house..
    ukfireball and gorillagirl like this.

pinkunicorn is offline Senior Member
    If you don't want to kill them, live traps are a good idea. If they aren't working, either the mice are too small or you are putting the bait too close to the opening.

The snap traps are also effective. But I HATE those stupid glue traps! If you're going to kill them, kill them quick; don't make them suffer stuck to a piece of paper!

When I worked in the oil field, the site manager used those stupid glue traps to control the mice in our office trailer. I wouldn't let him put one in mine, and I told him if I find that any of those traps have been "used" while I'm cleaning the offices, I will make HIM get rid of it. He basically told me "You're a farm girl. Deal with it."

Well the time came and there was a used trap. I felt so bad for the poor mouse, but it was already dead and I was able to dispose of it.

Then I came across one where the poor mouse was still struggling! I FREAKED OUT! The site supervisor came into the office to find me at my desk, bawling, wearing my leather motorcycle gloves (so the mouse couldn't bite me), trying to pry it free from the trap.

He got rid of all the glue traps after that.
    Never try to fit in when you are meant to stand out.

gorillagirl Guest
    so, in 2 weeks, we caught 4 and released. the 4th one was really hard to catch. right now there are huge, noisy fans and a dehumidifier in the house (due to a kitchen flood) and no mice or droppings for 2 nights. this is so irritating. i keep the world's most "contained food" kitchen. ugh.

gorillagirl Guest
    @truckman. sure, a week's vacation for you in beautiful san francisco for a mouse cannon.

re: snakes- snakes don't bother me at all. even boas. but i heard domestic snakes can be sickened by wild mice.

Redhead is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you should open a Q and A column for less technically oriented people, and we can post our questions, and you discuss them on your guy night, and on the next day you post the solution. Payments can be made in beer vouchers, provided that nobody here works for the IRS (well, with my kind of luck when it comes to sticking my foot into it, you probably work there )
    gorillagirl and Mebel like this.

gorillagirl Guest
    ROFLMFAO! Not Mighty Mouse! No!!!!!

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    *shaking my head at fred and crew*

i'm not surprised though.

legallyblonde Guest
    In 2005 I lived in the Valley and the actual outcome of keeping cats indoors and destroying feral cats, by local animal control policy, led to a huge mouse problem, Valley wide. I moved into the basement of a house where the woman upstairs had used humane treatments to catch mice. Well, the mice had taken over the house! It didn't work. I got to Richmond and had a similar problem with rats. They chewed up my washer drying combo, and I mean they chewed the wires, the hoses. They'd been residing in my neighbors shed, and when she cleaned it out, they came over to visit me. My landlord didn't do a thing for months. There is nothing so disgusting as the smell of wet rat in your house! There was one spot where water had made the floor collapse near my water heater and they really couldn't repair it with me living there. Finally they put flash aluminum around the place where they'd been coming inside and that kept them out. But I have to tell you, it's not so easy to deal with mice as they can get into a home through a hole the size of a dime!

My advice? Kill those suckers without one iota of remorse. You do your part by being vegan, but that doesn't mean you should let mice ruin your home, your investment. Call an exterminator!!!

Ali

gorillagirl Guest
    peppermint has been successful in keeping them away for the last 3 months. we'll see....

Peppermint would certainly keep ME away. Pee-yewww.
    legallyblonde and gorillagirl like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast