AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you handle AGR assumptions?

Roseilicious Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thesedays
    How about this one ..........very depressing. Once we were out shooting pool and a young girl (21 - 22) came over to tell me that my "younger brother" was "hot" and could I please introduce them !!
    Oh, wow... How awful! I mean really.. yeah she was young, and more than likely just innocently assumed... but, still. Whoa.

If you don't mind my asking?...How did you respond to her? (You, Him.. whoever...)

(((thesedays)))

~Rose~

kathyw Guest

Good question...hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Roseilicious
    Oh, wow... How awful! I mean really.. yeah she was young, and more than likely just innocently assumed... but, still. Whoa.

If you don't mind my asking?...How did you respond to her? (You, Him.. whoever...)

(((thesedays)))

~Rose~
    Hehe...that's what I was wondering Rose...I'm not sure what I would have said...probably...yeah he is hot huh...but he's not my brother...he's my bf so sorry...can't introduce you!

Photo Op Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bella
    Happens, gaps like ours make it inevitable . . . Total change of tone. Then it was "you guys" or "you two."
    Funny, it's only happened once since we've been together (Me: 44 Her: 22) since we've really only been to "young" places together (clubs, bars, etc.) in Hollywood/Beverly Hills area (where a 22-year age gap is sorta common anyway). It happened at LAX airport--I motioned for a porter, and, seeing her only from the back, he said, "Just you and your daughter?" (She's very petite.) She turned around (she looks darn young from the front, too, actually) and while he did a double-take, I must've given him a funny look, because he quickly changed it to, "Just you two?"

We both asked each other if either of us felt weird when that happened with the porter, but then we both just laughed. In context, hopefully we don't look too dissimilar in age due to dress and hairstyle, but the grocery store is sort of the great equalizer where it's assumed that you're either a couple or something else. The more "normal" the setting, the more I would expect this kind of thing to happen (e.g., airports, grocery stores, etc.).
    Last edited by Photo Op; 05-11-2005 at 12:55 AM. Reason: additional thoughts

thesedays Guest
    Hey Kathy and Rose -

I laughed (what else can you do) .......and introduced them .......her first ......"R (my ym) this is so and so .............so and so .........this is my bf R"

Mean of me, I know. I smiled anyway.

Chessaere Guest

Age gappy

No one said anything or stared when we went out. He doesn't look his age (19)and he is much taller than I am and bigger. Like a Teddy I am a lot smaller than he is and don't look my age either. (39) Or maybe I just didn't notice.

Only time it was weird was when we went out to dinner. I ordered a shot of Jack and a Cherry Coke chaser. He ordered just a cherry coke and the waitress gave us both a funny look.

Chessa~
    One second, one minute, one hour, one day....
    Oh God, will the craziness ever go away??

kathyw Guest

Talking Cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by thesedays
    Hey Kathy and Rose -

I laughed (what else can you do) .......and introduced them .......her first ......"R (my ym) this is so and so .............so and so .........this is my bf R"

Mean of me, I know. I smiled anyway.
    Not mean and all Thesedays....you were just being honest...hehehehe!

Kristin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miss b
    Powerpuff......yes he's a good looking man, I dont know if she wanted him, but she sure made it clear that she didnt want me sampling her cheese....
    LOL@miss b!

All I could think when I read this was, "And you certainly don't want HER sampling your beefcake!!"

ROFLMAO (at myself - me=dork)

Quote Originally Posted by Chessaere
    Only time it was weird was when we went out to dinner. I ordered a shot of Jack and a Cherry Coke chaser. He ordered just a cherry coke and the waitress gave us both a funny look.
    She was probably thinking, "Eww, gross! Jack and cherry coke???"

At least, that'd be what I would be thinking! LOL! j/k

OK, I should probably actually contribute a story.

Umm...nope...I got nuthin'

We get looks, but we don't look like there's really an age gap. He looks 30ish and so do I. (Except since he got this new haircut. He looks so young to me now!)

I think it's just cause he's tall and handsome and I'm short and pudgy.

Yeppers, Jack Sprat and his woman....

**sigh**

I gotta start workin out again.......

I totally feel for you gals with the larger gaps. It's hard enough for people who actually know, but to deal with stranger's assumptions - ack!!

Chessaere Guest
    The coke chaser is a personal preference. How others deal with the burn from Jack I haven't a clue. Falls under the weird food category I saw in a thread here somewhere. Could be the cause of the strange look. I doubt that tho' since the next server told my guy to keep me fed on the same night.

Chessa~
    Be as you are and edify me, you won't win..
    Like the ever-ready bunny you can't do me in.

Izza just teasing you Chessa!

What the heck did the "keep feeding" you line mean??

Buffeaut Guest
    For some reason, people persistently think She is my sister if they don't know us. I think this is because of the fact that we are so much alike. We don't really look alot alike, but I guess we do tend to act similarly toward strangers or something....

Chessaere Guest
    Honestly, we're not really sure what the server meant. We were talking about that dinner when I posted. Most people who know me know I am a freak about food. Now, how a complete stranger knew that about me and it was 947 miles from my homestate and I had never been there before, we've no idea. Teddy only grinned and nodded as if to take the server seriously. And he does worry normally, especially if I have eaten enough that day or whatever.

It was a weird dinner that night. I was meeting his friends for the 1st time that night so I ordered Jack to take the nervous edge off. I was semi panicking, I didn't want them to hate or dislike me. They are his best friends.

Friends are important to guys. Well let's face it, they are to everyone. Showing them your girl for the 1st time after dating her for a year and a half, he was nervous too. We each had heard so much about each other in all that time. Never mind the fact that I am 20 years older than my guy and they knew that. I'm not sure what they expected. Found out later that they liked me and they said we fit together.

Which reminds me of a question this subject brings up.

How many of you have had friends who have hated who you chose to be with? Or vice versa? If you didn't get along with his friends, did it last? If your friends hated him, did you debate about moving on? Did it make you make more of an effort to get along with his friends. Did he? I know the tension that friends and even family can bring into relationships.

Chessa~
    By virtue, by decree..
    he is the man for me.
    One heart, one soul..
    two people finally made whole.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12