AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: MICE attack!!!

gorillagirl Guest

MICE attack!!!

It's September....
    I've lived in my house since 1999. It's on a canyon. There are all kinda of raptors here, deer, coyote, raccoons, etc. Since the day I moved in, all my food has been in glass jars or airtight plastic containers (tupperware type) to keep out ants and roaches, etc.
    So, in April, I saw evidence of a mouse in my bedroom. I had left a small bag of nuts (sealed) on my floor and it was torn up and there were droppings nearby. Cleaned it up and didn't see any more mice droppings. About 2 weeks ago now, my dishwasher hose fell apart (now I think mice may have chewed it) and my kitchen got flooded. The kitchen shares a wall with my bedroom. Carpet in my bedroom got damp, and some of the kitchen cabinets appear to be water damaged. (I just called my insurance adjuster to have a look). Haven't seen evidence of mice since UNTIL this week. There were mouse droppings in my bedroom under my dresser against the shared wall. The carpet is mildly damp also. There were mouse droppings all over my stove, several counter tops, along the wall (carpet) and along a table covered with a sarong that is far from any other furniture (I guess the mouse climbed up the fabric). There were some crumbs in my toaster oven on one counter and now it's clean. Otherwise, all the food in my house is very contained (mouse proof). So, day 1, I set a humane trap. I used a 7 gallon trash can, a flexible cutting board and some peanut butter. The mouse ran up the cutting board, which was precariously teetering into the trash can, towards the peanut butter at the very end, and fell into the trash can. I had water and more food in the trash can for any mouse I might catch so it would be ok over night. I set it free outside. I was hoping to get it down the street but as I was taking it outside, it jumped out of the container, into a bush in my front yard and scurried away. The next night, more droppings. Not sure if the same mouse came back or if there are 10 or 100 other mice. I did the same, moving the trap to a very-nearby but different location and nobody got trapped. Night three, more droppings. I bought some humane traps at a hardware store and now, for 2 nights, no mice caught but droppings everywhere. The mice are quite adept at getting the food out of the traps but escaping being caught.

I don't want to kill them. I want to release them. It's the vegan in me, right? Plus, I've had rats and mice as pets.
    I've read you can kill them without poison using chewing gum, ex-lax, minute rice and water, etc... but I don't want the smell of dead mice in my walls where I can't reach them. I have the original trap set out for tonite and am hoping. I've also read you can repel them with peppermint oil and black pepper. No clue if it really works although the internet is full of positive stories.

I have a sick feeling I am going to have to kill them.

Please tell me your methods/success stories of either trapping/releasing or repelling with non-lethal chemicals, etc.
    Someone suggesting getting a small dog house and making home for them OUTSIDE and stock it well and hope they find it.

Yes, Truckman, I know. Just snap trap them into mousie heaven. know, I know...but they're so cute and deserve to live...

theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    It's September....
    I've lived in my house since 1999. It's on a canyon. There are all kinda of raptors here, deer, coyote, raccoons, etc. Since the day I moved in, all my food has been in glass jars or airtight plastic containers (tupperware type) to keep out ants and roaches, etc.
    So, in April, I saw evidence of a mouse in my bedroom. I had left a small bag of nuts (sealed) on my floor and it was torn up and there were droppings nearby. Cleaned it up and didn't see any more mice droppings. About 2 weeks ago now, my dishwasher hose fell apart (now I think mice may have chewed it) and my kitchen got flooded. The kitchen shares a wall with my bedroom. Carpet in my bedroom got damp, and some of the kitchen cabinets appear to be water damaged. (I just called my insurance adjuster to have a look). Haven't seen evidence of mice since UNTIL this week. There were mouse droppings in my bedroom under my dresser against the shared wall. The carpet is mildly damp also. There were mouse droppings all over my stove, several counter tops, along the wall (carpet) and along a table covered with a sarong that is far from any other furniture (I guess the mouse climbed up the fabric). There were some crumbs in my toaster oven on one counter and now it's clean. Otherwise, all the food in my house is very contained (mouse proof). So, day 1, I set a humane trap. I used a 7 gallon trash can, a flexible cutting board and some peanut butter. The mouse ran up the cutting board, which was precariously teetering into the trash can, towards the peanut butter at the very end, and fell into the trash can. I had water and more food in the trash can for any mouse I might catch so it would be ok over night. I set it free outside. I was hoping to get it down the street but as I was taking it outside, it jumped out of the container, into a bush in my front yard and scurried away. The next night, more droppings. Not sure if the same mouse came back or if there are 10 or 100 other mice. I did the same, moving the trap to a very-nearby but different location and nobody got trapped. Night three, more droppings. I bought some humane traps at a hardware store and now, for 2 nights, no mice caught but droppings everywhere. The mice are quite adept at getting the food out of the traps but escaping being caught.

I don't want to kill them. I want to release them. It's the vegan in me, right? Plus, I've had rats and mice as pets.
    I've read you can kill them without poison using chewing gum, ex-lax, minute rice and water, etc... but I don't want the smell of dead mice in my walls where I can't reach them. I have the original trap set out for tonite and am hoping. I've also read you can repel them with peppermint oil and black pepper. No clue if it really works although the internet is full of positive stories.

I have a sick feeling I am going to have to kill them.

Please tell me your methods/success stories of either trapping/releasing or repelling with non-lethal chemicals, etc.
    Someone suggesting getting a small dog house and making home for them OUTSIDE and stock it well and hope they find it.

Yes, Truckman, I know. Just snap trap them into mousie heaven. know, I know...but they're so cute and deserve to live...
    I don't have any helpful suggestions but I wouldn't want to kill them either. Here, at my house, we don't even kill spiders. I call my daughter the "bug whisperer". She captures them and takes
    them outside.
    gorillagirl likes this.

gorillagirl Guest
    I take bugs outside NOWadays. It took me until 2009 to be able to do it. I was forced into it by sheer survival. I stayed 7 weeks at this place with beige carpet, beige grass spider, and a NO KILLING policy. It was horrific. But I learned how to remove them with a cup and postcard. Now, I have a designated paper cup and postcard labeled "Spider Catcher." Ewwwwwwww.

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    All my adult life I have always owned a cat, and have never seen a mouse. Coincidence?
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member
    Embrace the Circle of Life...adopt a couple of spayed/neutered rescue cats.

You may not have a "no kill" choice in this instance...if you release it nearby, it will return to your house. You are already dealing with water damage from a dishwasher hose that's been chewed through; you don't want to deal with the damage a full-blown mouse infestation can cause to the electrical system, the belts/hoses in other household appliances, or the diseases mice carry (hanta virus) or the insect infestations (fleas), or the allergies caused by their nests/urine/droppings/dander within your ceilings, walls and floors.

Are your housemates as conscientious with food storage as you? My housemates often kept food in their rooms, for various reasons.

At work, we can have sealed packages or keep a closed canister-style container at our desks, but we aren't permitted to store open food at our workstations. It's an old building that's had a mouse problem in the past. The coworker who gives me mega butt-rash decided the policy didn't apply to him and began keeping open boxes of cereal, snack crackers, a loaf of bread and peanut butter at his desk. Viola! we soon had a mouse in the office, and he was asked to stop keeping food there.

MM
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

mskitty Guest
    Smart Mouse Trap - Humane Mousetrap by Smart Mouse Trap available at Amazon.com for 14.. have one myself all you need is a toothpick of peanut butter to attract the mice. They have a very strong sense of smell
    gorillagirl and ukfireball like this.

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    cats

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    In my experience, mice come in pairs, like a family, when you trap one mouse, there is always at least a second mouse nearby.
    It is sad to kill a mouse, but since I'm not a vegetarian, it's not against my principles.
    I set sticky traps, then if I catch one, I will drown it to end its misery. You could also take it to the vet so he could unsticky it carefully, I suppose. Then put it in a cage until the second mouse is caught and then release them as a couple in nature. You would not want to break up a family, right?
    After that get someone to check your house for cracks or holes where mice may get through.

I am very good at removing these huge black bat-size moths that we get here in Panama. I am not afraid of spiders, and there is always a gecko at home that takes care of baby bugs before they become an infestation. The gecko will leave a few droppings, that you clean as part of your cleaning process, but they do not chew on cables or hoses and they never move in in hordes, they are happy living alone.
    mskitty likes this.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

gorillagirl Guest
    i'm super allergic to cats. i should have written that in my first post.
    MissMuffins likes this.

gorillagirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ukfireball View Post
    A decent humane trap should catch them without being able to escape. If you are able to put them on the floor or a countertop in the area they go, with no other distractions, like crumbs or nice smelling trash for them in the bin, you will hopefully start catching them.

The other issue is where they are getting into your house, any holes or cracks they might be entering through can be blocked up, so you don't have any more mice or insects coming in.

It's a big house. This is a huge project. THANKS!!!!

the electronic noise devices have successful and very unsuccessful reviews on amazon.com but i'm highly considering it. i just filled 2 amber essential oil vials with mint oil, glued a super strong magnet on the bottom of each vial, and placed the vials in my kitchen affixed upright to appliances. the mice shouldn't been able to move/knock over the vials cuz the magnets are uber-strong. the web says "peppermint soaked cottonballs" but i'll try this plus cottonballs for a few days. mice make nests with cotton though so it seems odd all the web suggestions about mint recommend placing oil on cotton balls. buying more peppermint oil today. if it doesn't work in a few days, electronic noise maker.
    MissMuffins likes this.

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    i'm super allergic to cats. i should have written that in my first post.
    second choice...a snake
    gorillagirl and MissMuffins like this.

gorillagirl Guest
    chris-actually i did consider a snake at first but i read that pet store snakes are not resistant to diseases carried by wild mice.
    christina923 likes this.

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    I'm fiercely allergic to cats as well. That's why I was never allowed to have a cat when I was growing up. As soon as I went away to college, a rescue cat came into my life. Despite the initial sneezing and itchy eyes, I kept her and gradually built up a resistance. Now 44 years later and counting, I'm still resistant. However, I still have the allergy, and if I'm around a whole bunch of cats I start sneezing and itching again. But I can easily tolerate just one cat with no problem.

Mice multiply like rabbits, as it were. Once you have mice in a big house, you will always have mice, and humane trap-setting will become part of your life. I've managed large buildings with mice problems (movie theaters). There are only two permanent solutions that I know of. One: an exterminator to poison the entire population; repeat visits may be necessary. Or two: a cat, whose scent will keep the mice away. At my first theater I called an exterminator, and had to keep calling for repeat mice problems. At my second theater, we kept a cat. She lived up in the projection booth but roamed the theater overnight. We had no mice problems there.
    Last edited by Faith; 09-07-2013 at 05:28 PM.
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

gorillagirl Guest
    thanks faith. even one cat=itchy eyes/nose/sneezing. also, cat food will be food for mice, right?

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member
    thanks faith. even one cat=itchy eyes/nose/sneezing.
    this sounds gross, but...

If you have a friend who has a cat that sprays, collect some of the urine and use it to make something like home-made "coyote scent" to spray around the foundations of your house and trick the mice into thinking you have a cat. The point is not to use enough so YOU smell it (eew!), but just enough for the MICE to smell it.

(oooh, you could put it in your empty Dr Bach's bottles and sell it at flea markets as Mouse-B-Gon!).

Find what kind of plants repel mice (similar principles to companion gardening and repelling bugs) and plant them around your property.

MM
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast