AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By theREALTrish
  • 2 Post By theREALTrish
  • 1 Post By gorillagirl
  • 3 Post By SheLikesKitties
  • 5 Post By christina923
  • 1 Post By MissMuffins

Thread: Choosing a Color Scheme

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member

Choosing a Color Scheme

I just purchased property, and I'm so excited!

It's in need of rehab. I've set a budget & planned the project. Now I'm to that point of the planning where I'm choosing a color palette for the decor.

Now, lest you think I'm getting ahead of myself because the rehab isn't complete, I've been on medical leave for the past 13 days and restricted to doing next to nothing. My surgical staples come out tomorrow, and I anticipate another week of leave before being released to return to work part time. I can't work on the rehab of my property until I'm released to return to work. Planning this project has kept me from going stir crazy.

This is my first opportunity in a very long time to have a home, rather than just a place to live. Not only that, but it will also be my first opportunity to create a home which is a sanctuary and retreat...something I'm realizing is very important to one's mental health and emotional well being.

I lean toward cottage style with botanicals, birds and animals. My furniture is, for the most part, real wood in various finishes which show the wood grain.

Since childhood, I've tended to gravitate toward the color blue *unless* I make a conscious effort to go with something else in order to change it up. While I continue to find myself drawn to blue-and-white, I'm now aware that blue can trigger depression. I'm also liking black-and-white, grey-and-white, and white with pops of color.

After much thought, I've decided to go with white or off white as the predominant wall color and dark stained wood floors made of reclaimed pallets. My predominant colors will be blue and green, with pink, purple and yellow accents. Anything that doesn't match gets to go live with someone else. That will help thin out the schtuff (see my cluttering thread in the private section of the forum).

As for those innumerable individual items of home decor which have been stored for years, I'm swaying between "shopping my closet" and making a clean break with the past. While using what I have whenever possible appeals to me as a very practical and budget-minded person, most of what I have was acquired during my first marriage...which ended 15 years ago on particularly ugly terms. I'm leaning toward taking an "out bad spirit" approach and divesting myself of nearly all of those things, *unless* it happens to be an object I'd turn right around and purchase again.

Do you decorate? Do you have a "theme", or do you prefer an eclectic mix?

If you were me, would you feel guilty, wasteful, etc. if you didn't "shop your closet" first?

~MM
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

On a separate but related note, it occurs to me that those people in my life who have issues with the concept that other people have personal boundaries have always made fun of such things as "it doesn't match my decor". Could it be, because one's chosen decor represents a form of personal boundary?

~MM
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE to decorate! I've been told, many times, that I should have done it for a living. I, probably, should have. But, then I've always thought that it would be a job that would get boring. I've always done it on a shoestring because I've never had much money. That, as you know, causes one to get very creative. Right now I have a subscription to Country Living and Traditional Home. My own taste runs to cottage, a little country, and traditional. I've usually stayed with neutral palettes because then I can add the colors that I'm into as I feel them. I, also, love the "shabby chic" look. Living here, on the coast, also makes me want to do a beachy theme. In fact, I bought new things for the bathroom to go beachy for the summer.

I do like to use things I already have, if I can do it in different ways. But, if I had things that have a bad vibe attached, I'd get rid of them. I don't really have those things because everything I own I've acquired on my own. You're starting a new life. Don't feel guilty about getting "new" things.

Every time I look at a copy of Traditional Home, I say "In my next life I want to be rich." I've decided I can be rich and still be creative. lol!
    MissMuffins and christina923 like this.

theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuffins View Post
    On a separate but related note, it occurs to me that those people in my life who have issues with the concept that other people have personal boundaries have always made fun of such things as "it doesn't match my decor". Could it be, because one's chosen decor represents a form of personal boundary?

~MM
    I think my decorating is a boundary of sorts. I'm not sure if I could live with someone and compromise on decorating. I want things the way I want them. I've always felt that my surroundings are something I can control. That's probably why I'm a neat freak. I've never had control over certain chaos in my life but I can control my surroundings. Although, I've seen people who are just the opposite of me. Chaos in their life.....chaos in their surroundings. That would drive me nuttier than I already am. A tranquil home gives me the tranquility I need within.
    MissMuffins and christina923 like this.

gorillagirl Guest
    my house is supposed to be sparce. white walls, wood floors, furniture is wood, black and gray. walls are mostly bare. that said, STUFF just keeps cloning itself and this is the 1st time in a long time i've had trouble getting motivated to pass stuff along. but for me, this holds true: less is more. more=chaos. whatever colors you choose, let go of anything that you no longer use, reminds you of a time you don't need/want to remember, or just doesn't appeal to you any longer. we are not our stuff and the more stuff we let go of, the easier life becomes. if you're struggling, take photos of objects you no longer want and let the actual object go. so happy to hear you're finally getting your own place! yay!
    MissMuffins likes this.

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Congratulations on your new home! This is such a big accomplishment.
    What I do with my stuff is to make big things neutral (shades of white), like walls, sofas and bedspreads, and then, I keep smaller things like pillows, and assorted articles in sets of colors for the seasons. I have a very simple home, with few accessories, because I am not the most organized person, and the more stuff I have, the more I run the risk of having a mess in my hands.

After my cabin burned with a LOT of antique furniture, and things that were with the family for 3 generations, I felt oddly liberated. I know it's weird, but I spent most of my adult life trying to make stuff fit with the decor. Never having a blank canvas. Now I do.
    Last edited by SheLikesKitties; 07-08-2015 at 06:58 AM.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    good luck MM! shop your closet, but only keep what you LOVE...don't "try" to make it work. i'm like trish.... it must be all neat, pleasing, and organized...that extends to the outside also(boy, do I set myself up.) as GG said, less is more. find the few things that are your statement pieces...and leave it at that. my best tip is to add something black to every room....a vase, a lamp, whatever...it anchors it and relates all the rooms.

I hope you share pictures of your new home in the future. would love to see it!

Christina, do you have pinterest?

I'm such a pinterest [promiscuous person].

MM
    christina923 likes this.

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    MM... I have an account there...but I never "got the bug". that, I think, is a good thing!