Something else I encountered on facebook... a Wall Street Journal video of a vegan burger that "bleeds" and tastes like meat. Apparently the news has been around for a while; here's a link about it from Huffington Post from October 2014.

Behold, The Veggie Burger That Bleeds

The vegetable patty incorporates heme obtained from the roots of certain vegetables, rather than an animal source. Heme (or haeme, in proper English) is an iron compound found in both plants and animals. It's the component of mammalian blood that gives meat its flavor.

I'm an eat-meater. I believe that harvesting animals for food and clothing is part of our stewardship over them. I also believe firmly that the commercial meat, poultry & dairy industries in the US are needlessly cruel, disgustingly unsanitary, and economically & environmentally unsustainable.

Additionally, I am aware that economic disparity in the US is such that among those Americans who choose to include meat, poultry and dairy products in their diets, those most vulnerable are priced out of the good, better and best options such as "organic", "grass fed", "free range", "locally grown & sustainably produced" and hormone free, antibiotic free, non-GMO fed, etc. While people of means throw blemished food into landfills, the poor among us are subsisting on highly processed food products made of the odd bits. "Food" that consists wholly of byproducts, lips and anuses is very real.

Therefore, I'm quite interested in sources of protein that are more ethical, more sustainable and more affordably priced for consumers than the products of the American commercial meat industry.

We can't ignore that the eating of meat is a strong component of many cultures, including mainstream American culture. Being a "big eater" is somehow connected to masculinity, and most Americans who eat meat consume far too much of it. Over consumption in general is, regrettably, part of American culture...and we've got this whole disgusting "Man versus Food" eat-until-you're-sick mentality to go with it.

Even though I eat meat and don't plan to change that, I feel like we need to wake up to the facts of the matter and start finding better ways to obtain sustainable sources of vegetable protein that are acceptable to the palates of meat-eating consumers.

I think that in promoting this as a "vegan" development, we're seeing a very good example of how the mainstream media exerts so much influence as to all but control what is and is not embraced by society as a whole... and as many subcultures within it as possible.

As I understand it, "bleeds" and "tastes like meat" are pretty weak selling points to vegans, if not off-putting all together.

"Bleeds" and "tastes like meat" aren't necessarily selling points to anyone on the "vegetarian spectrum". I just made that up, cuz "vegetarian spectrum" is easier than remembering whether ovo pescatarian is one word or two, or trying to spell things like ovopescolactarian and then arguing with spell check as to whether or not it's correct. And its waaay easier than explaining to people who don't even understand the difference between an ovo pescatarian and an ovopescolactarian that being vegan is a totally separate thing entirely.

Not everyone who is "vegetarian" likes and misses meat, and is in search of a suitable vegetarian replacement.

Many "vegetarians" can't stand meat or anything about it, to the point that they're physically sickened at the thought of it. I know people who are vegetarian because meat makes them quite ill; their bodies can't process some of the proteins in meat. They become so ill by eating meat that even recalling the feel of it in their mouths makes then nauseous.

On the other side of the coin, "vegetarian" and "vegan" aren't strong selling points to eat-meaters.

Okay, so that's the thing I overthought today. Now I wanna hear from you all...including the lurkers.

MM